i did not know that

I run the 'sensors' program in Linux always on the desktop, to monitor the PC/server, that is always on, just to see if things are still in range, like supply voltages, temperature, fan speed, etc.

I noticed the CPU fan speed was really low at times. Wondered if it needed replacing... I have replaced bearings before in one.

First I had a theory about air pressure, but could not see any correlation. So, then I though mm, maybe voltage, and decided to log speed versus voltage every minute. Nope. Added CPU temperature, slow speed should give high temperature right?

No, slow speed corresponded to low CPU temperature, shit looks like the thing does speed control in the BIOS / mobo, fan speed control.

Did not know that:

So in the night when heating is set to low in the room, the processor cools, and the CPU fan also speeds down. In the summer you see very little change.

Script:

while [ 1 ] do year=`/bin/date +%Y` month=`/bin/date +%m` day=`/bin/date +%d` hour=`/bin/date +%H` minute=`/bin/date +%M` speed=`/usr/bin/sensors | /bin/awk /"CPU FAN Speed"/'{print $4}'` volts=`/usr/bin/sensors | /bin/awk /"+12 Voltage:"/'{print $3$4}'` temp=`sensors | awk /"CPU Temperature:"/'{print $3}'` echo -e "$year-$month-$day $hour:$minute $speed $volts $temp" >> /root/cpu_fan_speed.log sleep 60 done

:-) Obvious.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you don't mind losing 50-100 pixels from the side of your screen, the gkrellm utility is a good way of seeing what's going on. It includes those sensors and many more.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:43:56 +0000) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

I use a simple rxvt or xterm to run a script, updated once per second.

That script monitors all voltages, speeds, temperatures, and beeps in case something out of range, and / or switches off the PC if critical.

Also I run xosview:

a very old program that works and takes no resources.

Those programs run in a virtual desktop (I use nine virtual desktops), so normally these are not in the way, but visible on the click of a mouse, or just ctrl cursor key to that desktop. There is more in that desktop, so as global climate control^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H well you get the idea. I do everything from rxvts, keyboard, just X. No kde or gnome here. But then much that runs here I wrote myself.

man sensors

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

How do you measure those pesky constants for the .conf file? Do you measure the tiny resistors on the mainboard? How did you find them? Back when I tried lm-sensors, it would output mostly garbage because of wrong values in the .conf file.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

I find gkrellm is fine in that respect, even in 6 year old 1.6GHz atom netwooks.

I like its _small_ sufficiently pretty "mimic panel" showing CPU, disk and network activity graphs + text. Many of its "features" I simply turn off.

Nor here. But I do allow myself the unobtrusive luxury of Xfce.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:51:06 +0100) it happened Johann Klammer wrote in :

mm, been some time, done it several times, oldest reference I see in my sensors.conf is from Suse 7.21! Anyways, bios, measured it. Do not remember any problems, just carried the sensors.conf to the next system and modified it. It does not have to be within a degree, you can script it for whatever you want.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

are you running "fancontrol" or is the fan going full speed?

sure sounds like fancontrol, it's part of lm-sensors.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

On a sunny day (24 Feb 2016 10:37:45 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

panteltje12: ~ # ps avx | grep fancontrol

17048 pts/4 S+ 0:00 1 189 2274 796 0.0 grep fancontrol

no?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (24 Feb 2016 10:37:45 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

PS problem solved:

I only rebooot a few times per year, may not get to look at BIOS before the next WW .. I probably overlooked it in BIOS setup and in the 56 page or so manual (that I of course did not read, except just now), and left default values.

:-)

It has the strangest features really, including enabling extra cores (I tested that, then it becomes unstable).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In a lot of more modern motherboards, the fan is indeed controlled from code in the ACPI portion of the motherboard BIOS. This seems to be the case for laptops in most of the laptops I've played with recently. The fan speed will increase and decrease according to CPU/GPU/motherboard temperature, even under Linux, even when the lm-sensors package is not installed.

The lm-sensors folks seem to have disabled (deliberately) a lot of the direct access to the sensors-and-control chips which older versions supported. The reason was (I gather) ACPI safety. If you have both the ACPI BIOS, and the lm-sensors software package, attempting to read and write to/from the sensors and the fan PWM control registers, there's a very real risk of "confusion" at the hardware level ("collisions" on the SMBUS, or inconsistent data written to the chips). This could, in principle (and perhaps in practice) result in the fans being turned off, and software being unable to turn them back on, without a full reset being required... thus causing damage to the CPU due to overheating.

On some of the recent systems I've used, lm-sensors reports only those sensors and controls which are exported via the ACPI BIOS; direct hardware access to the more detailed sensor data and fan control is no longer available.

Reply to
Dave Platt

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:24:00 -0800 (PST)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

Sure, its on my site:

It is a GUI frontend to v4l2-ctl look it up. v4l2-ctl can be run from a single line in bash, with all the recording timers going in crontab. Last night I added voice output, to warn you when the IR link is about to activate so you do not stand in front of the ir_pic transmitter as I did, and missed the start of a recording. Uses the 'say' program from the festival voice synthesizer, can also be scripted in bash: say "this sucks" Has this whatshisname from the blackholes computah voice... Oh yea Hawkins., I think he uses the same program.

Not quite sure what you mean, but for example the sms code for my new

4G modem I wrote last month was also just a few lines, that was C though. makes it easy to send and receive sms on the PC, based on this:
the latest [4G] version is not released yet. is rather specific to the local telco' options.

For display you can use gnuplot. For the math you can use octave. All of it can be scripted. To read some of the MS format data I have openoffice installed.

All GUI coding I do is in xforms (libforms), it is small, fast, and does not need kde or other windows imitations.

To make it easier, if you are clueless in GUI programming, it has a GUI generator that creates everything, you can just put buttons and other things on a form, it will write the callbacks for you in C, all you have to do is fill in what you actually want to do, and it is not in that C++, just plain old C. I never use 'fdesign' (the GUI generator), do it all by hand. If you want to learn how to use libforms there is tons of code to download on my site, and on the web.

Here a GPS detection run with octave:

Not sure if any of that answers your question, else be more specific?

There are a couple of utitlies in Linux you _have_ to know, like 'grep' and 'awk', 'sort', 'gnuplot', etc.. with those you can, in a very simple way, extract data from huge files, sort and display it too, The only limit is disk space AFAIK, but then... not to forget the near magical 'netcat' program, that is all you need to connect to anything and transfer data to anything on the internet from a script. There are more.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje