Hotest/coolest spots in automotive environments

Hi,

We've been casually shopping for a new vehicle. Many of them now come with front-facing cameras that attempt to "watch where you're going".

They use these to provide features like detecting when you are deviating from your lane, approaching some moving/stationary object, creeping up on a vehicle ahead of you (e.g., while on cruise control), etc.

The cameras, of necessity (?) are mounted forward and high -- often

*in* the rear view mirror or in a smallish SEALED (?) enclosure "attached" to the windshield immediately ahead of the rear-view mirror mount.

Of course, for cosmetic reasons (?) these enclosures are invariably

*black*.

And, exposed to direct sun while in use (driving) -- or, sitting in uncovered parking lots (during daylight hours).

The other day, while sitting in a vehicle at a dealership (i.e., out in an uncovered parking lot) and familiarizing myself with the dash, controls, etc., an error was signaled for one of these "camera-based" features (i.e., "Feature X failure"). "Hmmm... did *I* do that?"

Within a few minutes, "Feature Y failure" (another feature reliant on the camera system). Then, "Feature Z failure", etc. Of course, salesman was quick to rationalize this as "normal behavior" (ha! you mean the features work fine as long as you are *indoors* in an airconditioned tunnel??)

I'd previously assumed under the hood to be the most inhospitable location in a vehicle (and, it probably is, "in general" -- though I suspect you can find certain spots under the hood that are less traumatic than others). I had *not* considered a "box left on the dash" (of course, *anything* would end up *in* a box) to be that significant of a risk. Clearly, in this case, it is (or, a "fluke").

[Of course, it's been 105-110 here so starting with that elevated ambient can't make things any *easier* for this sort of kit!]

This begs the 2 questions:

- where (other than the engine compartment) would the worst place for kit be in a vehicle (in a "secure" location -- i.e., trunk or passenger compartment)?

- where would the *best* place (wrt high temp avoidance) be for same?

I'll be putting together a multichannel datalogger to try to get some relative -- and then absolute -- values for select locations in our vehicles (in our climate). I'd like to start with the most likely locations for highs and lows as I'd only be able to monitor several locations at a time; then, repeat the experiment on a different day (with different absolute environmental conditions) to make comparisons, etc.

The low end (temperature) I would imagine would solely be driven by expected outdoor ambients. E.g., I've already encountered -26F and know of places (US) where it gets considerably colder. But, these can be "looked up" in an almanac (it's not like sitting "out in the cold" will yield a COLDER temperature than ambient; whereas sitting "out in the Sun" can significantly affect high temperatures!)

Reply to
Don Y

What brand of car? I always muse every new model year the number of new Mercedes and GM vehicles DOA on the side of the road.

The National Weather Service in Phoenix has issued an "extreme heat advisory". Out here in San Tan Valley the weather report is "seasonably warm" ;-)

The US has become a bunch of wusses.

Under a front driver's seat or left kick panel is where most engine controllers go. ...Jim Thompson

If the vehicle is black, parked in the middle of a black parking lot, in the middle of Arizona in the middle of summer, with little or no wind, the ambients can just keep stacking up and up. A dark metallic shifter in the middle of a black car (including black interior) might well get hotter than the engine in operation -- it has the benefit of moving air and water!

Down below or underneath, away from direct sunlight and convection (but inside of any environmental hazards -- sealed inside a door or body panel, or beneath a head light?), would seem like the best place.

Obviously, you don't want to go too far "down"; the exhaust system will be considerably hotter than either, in operation. :)

And it can get even worse than that, if you park in a solar farm:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

But is that because it is the most environmentally hospitable? Or, because it is the most *convenient* (for access, wiring, etc.)?

E.g., if you never needed to access a device, where would you position it?

Reply to
Don Y

Does it matter? It's going to plug into a harness. In AZ you're not

that's easy.

...Jim Thompson

I think the tougher problem is addressing a *parked* vehicle. I.e., a vehicle in operation must be (reasonably) habitable to humans, can employ active cooling means (even if just "forced air"), etc.

I was considering this especially in light of the fact that the vehicle in question was sitting on an unshaded dealer's lot, day in, day out...

[At least it drops down to ~80-ish at night -- I wonder what the *net* temperature (for something with a long thermal time constant) is?]

The exterior will conduct heat (hmmm.... maybe some of these plastics and composites are less problematic than old-fashioned steel?) to the chamber it encloses.

Likewise, heat radiating off the road surface (which wouldn't be "shaded" if the vehicle was in motion).

A neighbor (computer tech) had some aerosol product explode while it sat in his parked car "on a call". We, long ago, learned to carry a cooler with us when purchasing groceries, fetching DVD's from the local library, buying medicines, etc. It doesn't take long for the car interior to become very inhospitable to most things!

Reply to
Don Y

In a dark coloured box on the dash or rear shelf.

I used to have to unplug the blinker unit in my Citroen CX and stash it under the seat when parking, the capacitor was only rated to 105 degrees centigrde, and on a sunny queensland day it would exceed that in the spot where it plugged in,

under the seats, behind, or in, the centre console

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

High up in the passenger cabin is a good place for high temperatures. Just where electret microphones for hands-free mobile phone systems are often placed. Depolarisation of the electret film is a potential issue.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

no particularly convenient, on the firewall (either side) would be easier to wire. it's only conveiwnce of assembly that counts.

if _never_ Inside the air-con radiator.

if more than never, under the carpet, under a seat.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

White would cause reflections in the windshield. Although white is better than black locally for reflecting sunlight away it isn't that much better when the entire of the car interior is mad hot.

But they seldom get above 80C so most *decent* electronics should be fine. Unless you park unwisely at the focus of a mirror sided building:

Since many car components are thermoplastic life gets fun if they get to the point where they will permanently deform or warp.

Seems very surprising. Most electronics is good to 100C or so - much above that and capacitor electrolytes tend to escape over time. But that wouldn't account for immediate acute failures. Bad design perhaps?

I can't believe self heating is a problem in automotive CCD cameras.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Of course. It also would make the device more noticeable to the vehicle occupants and passersby. Much like the reason rear glass is often "painted" black around the edges (instead of "body color")

I'm wondering if trying to make the box and its internals "invisible" allows it to absorb more radiation than the car interior. E.g., a black interior tends to be hotter than a light colored interior...

Dunno. The salesman's casual response suggests it happens often. Hard to believe the manufacturer would overlook something as basic as this at design time. Nor fail to notice it post-production.

OTOH, were I designing for that sort of a placement, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a priori parameters to accurately reflect what a "glass mounted, black box" would experience in high ambient and prolonged, intense sunlight (hence this question, here).

Unless the component itself wasn't specified for an automotive environment? E.g., component mixup at time of manufacture (I once had a 2'x 6' ECL memory panel delivered with the wrong voltage specifications on the bypass capacitors; LOTS of rework, there! :< )

Note I have no idea *what* is failing in all of these complaining "features". The *obvious* thing that they all have in common is this camera module. They all rely on the camera to sense the locations of "things" that the vehicle is approaching.

But, they may also have additional kit hidden away, elsewhere, that is actually the source of the fault.

Reply to
Don Y

So, the location of this particular type of camera module. Likewise, HUD's? Would "sealing" it *to* the glass be any worse than setting something *on* the dash?

I should explore where they site the batteries in the hybrids as that would probably NOT want to be an inhospitable location. OTOH, their sheer size may so severely limit the options...

Reply to
Don Y

Unrelated to heat, But I want a camera on a pop-up periscope, above my small car so that I can see over the SUV's and trucks in front of me and not have to just adjust my speed according to their brake lights.

It would also be very useful in the winter (around here.) So you could see over high snow banks before pulling into an intersection.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What's a "snow bank"? Is that where you go to deposit your snow ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

rake lights.

ee

Grin, this last winter we didn't get a thaw and the snow banks were ~6' hig h. You are basically driving in a tunnel. At intersections your only option i s just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out. By th e time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the lane.

A scarier thing is when you are driving through a village or something with young kids. They can "pop out" of their drive way (on a sled or somet hing.) with no warning.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

brake lights.

see

igh.

is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the othe r way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the lan e.

some of the fancier BWMs have side view cameras in the front bumper so you can see "around corners"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I know. I grew up in WV and schooled in MA... that's why I live in AZ ;-)

[snip]

I once slid sideways for half a block down a WV hill, narrow street, cars parked on both sides, black ice... how I missed all those cars I'll never know... heart stopped for 10 seconds :-( ...Jim Thompson

ir brake lights.

ld see

}

high.

on is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the ot her way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out. B y the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the l ane.

u can see "around corners"

That would work for intersections. I still want a camera on a pole for when I'm driving down the highway surrounded by monstrous SUV's and pick-up trucks. You probably don't have the problem in Denmark. (Is Denmark correct? I googled you, Nanonord? Hey are you also doing NMR with permanent magnets? or the XRF stuff?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I suspect that the camera is made out of a bunch of consumer-grade parts, and that the black case, behind glass, in the sun, is getting toasty inside.

It may work better when you're on the road and air is flowing; it may not.

The best thing to do is design a new camera from the ground up, including the chips.

The second-best thing to do is to take the case and paint it white or very light gray (I'm sure there are at least fifty shades to choose from). That would significantly reduce solar loading.

Or, learn how to drive so you don't need a robot helping you!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That's what has prompted the car search: too many trucks (that never are *used* as trucks... just "Hey, look at my MANLINESS! (Change the oil? How do you do *that*??)" SWMBO is tired of feeling "lost in a sea of steel". Esp given the number of lousy drivers, here (esp the "winter visitors"/old fartes)

Likewise, pulling out (or backing out) of a parking spot between two soccer-mom-obiles would be greatly facilitated!

[Actually, the backup cameras on some vehicles have a wide-angle mode so you can peek off to the sides as you ease out. And, a feature whereby the vehicle reports oncoming "traffic" from either side before you've got your ass-end sticking out into it. But, I'm not too keen on looking forward (into a display) to *see* backwards! OTOH, it appears as folks age the ability to turn their head diminishes. I guess I'm not old enough for that as looking over my shoulder is still entirely natural...]

Or, seeing beyond that car in the *opposing* "left turn lane" so you can sort out when it is appropriate to "turn left across traffic".

[(sigh) I miss snow. And *good* apples! I've been lobbying to move to someplace like Washington state -- or Scandinavia -- though I think I'd quickly tire of overcast days, rain, etc. "360 days of sunshine" really does become noticeable -- esp when you find yourself (temporarily) elsewhere dealing with "yet another dreary day"! OTOH, it is *really* easy to lose track of days, weeks, months, even *years* when you lose many of the seasonal cues.]
Reply to
Don Y