Hotest/coolest spots in automotive environments

Hard to imagine the choice of inappropriate components in such a high volume market! When I work in big markets, it's been relatively easy to negotiate with suppliers for, e.g., "107C caps" (instead of 105C).

OTOH, it could be that some component was *ordered* improperly (can you spell "recall"?)

Amusing to think 110-120F air helps *cool* something when flowing across an insulating sheet of glass! :> I'd be more inclined to suspect the ~70F air in the passenger compartment contributing to more effective cooling (i.e., on the *back* side).

Agreed. See above.

I am not fond of extra technology that isn't *guaranteed* to work. Would you rely on them if your brakes had a bright yellow sticker on the driver-side visor stating "Warning: brakes may not always work. Driver is responsible (i.e., don't sue *us* if they don't!) for ensuring the safety of the vehicle!" I.e., why have a switch to *disable* this technology -- if it works so well??

"I don't know, Officer! I pulled out to pass the semi that was in front of me when, suddenly, my vehicle slowed -- as if it had a mind of its own -- leaving me in the left lane exposed to oncoming traffic! The last thing I recall seeing were the oncoming headlights..."

Ditto touchscreen displays (which seem to require greater cognitive loading with which to interact... WHILE DRIVING).

OTOH, it appears that, soon, all vehicles will have such (fragile) toys as (reasonably) standard equipment. I may have to put my V8 back on the road...

Reply to
Don Y

Den onsdag den 17. juni 2015 kl. 17.17.01 UTC+2 skrev George Herold:

heir brake lights.

ould see

:-}

6' high.

tion is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the lane.

you can see "around corners"

Yes Denmark, We don't have many pickup trucks but plenty of SUVs and vans, never really thought much about it

mostly permanent magnet NMR and the occasional XRF

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If it's OEM equipment, there is about a *zero* chance that it's made from consumer-grade parts. There is maybe a 10% chance that it's industrial-grade, even. OTOH, aftermarket crap can be anything, including floor-sweepings.

The components are available but not onesy-twosy.

Reply to
krw

Moreso than exposed on the dash, etc.?

Interesting. It's not something we would likely encounter (as we aren't slaves to cell phones). OTOH, I would assume most of the voice-activated/controlled systems rely on said microphone! It would be amusing to discover the primary imput medium for tho$e "craps out" over such an oversight!

Reply to
Don Y

:

their brake lights.

could see

?>:-}

~6' high.

option is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along th e other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out . By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of t he lane.

o you can see "around corners"

, never really thought much about it

So (as long as you aren't disclosing any secrets) how do you deal with the temperature dependence of the magnets? Do you try to control the temperatu re? Or chase the field around with the RF frequency? Both? something else?

George H. (oh I'm assuming you know we make this gizmo.

George Herold

Grin, it was a hard winter, but then those first spring days are such a joy! Spring was ten times more beautiful in Tennessee, (all those red buds for one.) but not nearly as cherished.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm not sure we *had* a winter! I recall rushing to harvest most of the citrus ~1 Jan on the *threat* that we would have a cold night (28F is the cutoff for the fruit) -- and then lamenting that I had pulled so much fruit off the trees needlessly and it could have sweetened for yet another month. Thankfully, I left the fruit on several of the other trees so no real sacrifice, there (and, around XMAS is a good time to start picking, regardless)

I've worked for myself for a few decades, now. So, the usual issues with snow that cause grief (clearing driveways/sidewalks, bozo drivers, "getting around", etc.) haven't been a problem. If there's a foot of snow on the ground, just don't *go* anywhere -- I can still get my work done, at home!

OTOH, the *many* below zero (F) days in Chitown got to be numbing. Above zero is easily tolerable; much *below* gets old really fast! While I suspect there is no real truth to the "too cold to snow" cliche, it sure *seemed* that way!

About the only thing re: "seasons" that I *truly* don't miss is raking the damn leaves (despite their delightful colors)!! :-/

Reply to
Don Y

Hi Don, You only have to rake leaves if you live in the suburbs. I just let mine blow around, the snow covers them and by spring they've turned into mulch.. gone. (Oh there are a few that blow up next to the house and we have to move those onto the compost pile.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

When I lived in NE, the leaves would be too much for the yard to accommodate; 75 foot oaks, 40 foot walnuts, maples, etc. But, you could *burn* them, there. I suspect trying something like that, here, would get you in lots of trouble

"The Bobbaquippydippy fire -- apparently started by a homeowner burning leaves in his yard -- has grown to 375,000 acres and is currently 43% contained..."

We had a couple of (relatively rare) colorful *tall* deciduous trees in the front yard. Neighbors all *loved* the "colors", etc. Yet, all grumbled when the leaves would fall and end up blowing into *their* yards, pools, etc.

[The same was true of the carpet of wildflowers that we later had out front -- and subsequently spread to adjoining yards, etc. :> ]

When I cut the trees down, everyone was grumbling about the "loss". I simply asked (without reminding them about how vociferously they had previously complained about the blown leaves) if *they* wanted to spend the *days* raking and bagging the leaves each Fall? (our weekly municipal trash pickup is "volume limited")

[We looked into installing an "infinite pool" in the back yard but are wary of how much "cleaning" it would require (from our Mimosa's, neighbors' Pines, etc.). The citrus, while being water hogs, at least yield edible fruit (finished the last of the Navels two weeks ago and still have several gallons of OJ in the freezer) and very little "litter". Unfortunately, I'm not fond of citrus!]
Reply to
Don Y

Den onsdag den 17. juni 2015 kl. 20.59.52 UTC+2 skrev George Herold:

:

te:

to their brake lights.

ou could see

w ?>:-}

re ~6' high.

y option is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling o ut. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the lane.

so you can see "around corners"

nd

ng

ns, never really thought much about it

ture?

We do both

Yes I have seen it :)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Georgia has its share of redbud trees but the cherry and pears are, IMO, far more beautiful. ...and there isn't much of a Winter, either.

Reply to
krw

ld:

rote:

,

ks

g to their brake lights.

you could see

now ?>:-}

were ~6' high.

nly option is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming alon g the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulling out. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/2 of the lane.

er so you can see "around corners"

and

oing

vans, never really thought much about it

the

rature?

?

The one idea we didn't try was to keep the field constant with some external coils... I was a bit afraid of chasing your own tail... coils add heat, lowers field. But now I wonder, if you stayed on the right side, subtracting field... ? Well you can change field a lot fast than the temperature can change.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Up here, Western NY we have one species of oak tree, in TN there were ~10, diversity increases exponentially as you move south, well till you get to the equator.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Vermont probably has at least that many species of maple trees. ;-) ...and several oaks. Why is there no diversity in W. NY?

Reply to
krw

But not by all that much. The effect of trapping hot air and glass being opaque to thermal band IR is much more significant overall.

Stall temperatures for a well insulated box in full sun under glass can be surprisingly high (good enough for a solar oven up to ~150C).

I doubt if even the worst camera enclosures come close to that.

My guess would be not much above 100C even worst case. Conduction of heat out through the windshield being one obvious cooling mechanism.

You would have to measure it to be sure what conditions were like.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Hmm I don't know. The only oak I see in the woods here is the red oak. This is a long pdf,

It says we should have white oak too, but I've never seen those.. I'm not really looking hard either. We had 40 acres outside of Nashville, pin oak, white oak, red oak, burr oak, post oak, black oak... There were some other more shrubby ones too.

I was blown away by the diversity when I moved down there. It might have to do with the last glaciation. I think parts of TN were on the edge and didn't get covered by mountains of ice.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

But that's exactly what they've done: the box is sealed to the window glass; no vents in the back side (visible to the passengers); the box is black; the portion of window glass that it overlaps/blocks is "painted" black; etc. I.e., they've made very deliberate attempts for this to just look like a "black spot (rectangle)" on the windshield -- from inside and outside the car!

I used to have an Ir thermometer, here. But, it's either become very adept at

*hiding* or it got donated in one of the recent "purges".

OTOH, I suspect the salesmen at the dealership(s) would be "troubled" by bringing any sort of "technology" onto their lot -- especially anything that purports to *measure* something! :-/

I will have to be more conscious of the implementations. To date, we have avoided vehicles (more accurately, "trim levels") that dragged those sorts of kit into the product. If I want an "entertainment center", "navigation system", "up-to-the-minute weather updates", etc. I can think of lots of other ways of getting those "features" that aren't intimately tied to a vehicle (and a vehicle manufacturer!).

Reply to
Don Y

Den torsdag den 18. juni 2015 kl. 03.33.19 UTC+2 skrev George Herold:

:

rold:

pe,

ucks

ing to their brake lights.

So you could see

snow ?>:-}

s were ~6' high.

only option is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming al ong the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pulli ng out. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~1/

2 of the lane.

mper so you can see "around corners"

le

's and

doing

d vans, never really thought much about it

h the

perature?

se?

the thing is electro magnets with any kind of reasonable power is really wimpy compared to permanent magnets

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ld:

Herold:

cope,

trucks

rding to their brake lights.

) So you could see

.

ur snow ?>:-}

nks were ~6' high.

ur only option is just to pull out slowly and hope that any drivers coming along the other way are going slow enough and see the front of your car pul ling out. By the time you can see if there are any cars you are blocking ~

1/2 of the lane.

bumper so you can see "around corners"

pole

UV's and

.

so doing

and vans, never really thought much about it

ith the

emperature?

else?

To be honest this was a colleague's idea and I never ran the numbers myself. But he's a very smart guy, and I never had an doubt that it could be made to work.

You keep the current field constant, and if the temperature drifts too far, you turn off the electromagnet, change frequency, and then keep that field constant.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Usually, somewhere roughly behind the rear seat or at the leading edge of the trunk. Toyota hybrid batteries, at least, are air-cooled; there is an air intake in the passenger compartment, a blower comparable to the HVAC blower next to the battery, and a vent overboard somewhere else.

The air intake from the passenger compartment is meant to take advantage of the driver using the air conditioning. It does mean that people have to be instructed not to block the intake. On the '01-'03 Prius, the intake is on the rear parcel shelf; I think it's someplace harder to block in the newer models. The battery blower runs on 12 volts and is speed-controlled by the battery ECU.

Full-electrics (Tesla for one) tend to have water-cooled battery packs that live on the bottom of the car, mostly for center-of-gravity reasons.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds