Good ebook reader that handles pdf documents?

Can anyone recommend an ebook reader that works well with books in pdf format? Or would a "tablet" be a better choice?

I'm looking for something at the economy end of the price spectrum...

Reply to
sunaeco

google for foxit reader.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I can tell you that a Kindle Paperwhite renders many PDF documents unreadable - especially ones that include tables or indexes. I would opt for a cheap tablet.

But wait, you might be asking, how can a Kindle read a PDF in the first place? IDK, maybe it does so natively, but I found a program called Calibre that converts documents (including PDF) that a Kindle can read. And it works well, so long as your source document doesn't have tables or columned text.

Reply to
mpm

I think I paid about $40 for my Kindle DX 9.7" reader at a local thrift shop. I have several other Kindle paper white readers, but all have smaller displays and are more difficult for me to read. I also have a Google Nexus 7 tablet with 1920x1200 display. It's ok, but I prefer the paperwhite display. For my eyesight, bigger is better.

I haven't had that problem.

Here's a PDF page from AoEIII. Looks good to me (except that closeup photos on my Samsung S6 all look like they're out of focus):

The DX is an old model with only 824x1200 pixel or 150 ppi resolution. The current high end model is smaller (7") but has better resolution at 1440x1080 or 300 ppi, which should be sharper.

I also use Calibre to convert e-book formats: However, my Kindle DX will read PDF's directly, as demonstrated by the AoEIII chapter which I sent directly to my Kindle via email (my snipped-for-privacy@kindle.com). You'll find the address on the Settings page under "Device E-mail".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Like Jeff, I've got a Nexus 7, it's fine for pdf's. I bought a refurbished one for ~$100. (I think from amazon.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Careful. There are two versions of the Nexus 7. The 2013 model, which has 1920x1200 screen resolution and the older 2012 model, which has only 1280x800 dots. The 2012 version only has 1GB of RAM, while the 2013 model has 2GB. There are other differences: Including tax, I paid about $280 for the 2013 model with 32GB storage. Five years later, it's still my favorite machine for playing Solitaire.

The various Android tablets have one advantage over a Kindle paperwhite display. The Android touch screen allows one to easily zoom in and out with two fingers. The Kindle can also zoom (in large blocks), but requires using a clunky joystick or awkward buttons.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

OK, I got something like this,

As per a previous post it di/does have some touch screen sensitivity issues. (mostly OK now, thanks to you.)

Right the zoom function is critical if you're looking at graphs on spec sheets or things like that.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's the 2013 version with 1920x1200 resolution. You win. Good price.

Good to hear that it now works. After trying the same tweaks on my Nexus 7, the touch screen started acting weird. Nothing I did in software produced anything useful. So, I took it apart, and reseated the various ribbon conectors. After that, the screen worked normally.

Besides spreading 2 fingers, there are other ways to zoom in Android such as double tap and hold, and triple tap.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks everyone for the advice - I'll read up a little on the Kindle & Nexus devices and look at buying a refurbished device (if refurbished units are available in the UK).

Reply to
sunaeco