fiddled filter design - Page 5

Re: fiddled filter design

I completely agree with your comments about theory generation. However,
the activity must start with some phenomenon that is not yet
satisfactorily explained.

There are no provably correct theories. There are adequate ones, and
inadequate ones. That is all. Even the adequate theories are susceptible
to scrutiny and simplification - but almost always, this is driven by
the need to expand the explanatory power, not just for the intellectual
aesthetics.

This use of the word "proof" shows that you still believe in absolute
knowledge. Using that idea in an argument to *open* minds is bizarre and
contradictory. There is no proof, only disproof.

Theories need to be invented, yes. But they need to be linked to
observed phenomena which require explanation. A theory with no model
(exemplar) is called a myth.

Just recently, a Belgian ham presented his idea for a new topology for a
Watson-Watt (crossed loops + e-field ant) direction finding system. His
explanation of the manner of operation was strange and wrong. I did the
math intending to show why it was wrong, and found that the idea
actually worked, but not at all for the reasons he thought. It's a nice
solution, and a nice outcome.

Clifford Heath.

Re: fiddled filter design
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 07:58:43 +1100, Clifford Heath

The subject started with electronic design, not science. Scientists
find existing natural phenomena, and try to explain them. Electronic
designers have an unlimited range of architectures and circuits to
imagine that don't exist yet.

It would make no sense to drive towards the simplest possible circuit
design, and miss all the others that would work too.

There are theories that are so far not contradicted by experiment, and
they are in the physics textbooks, generally without cautions about
being wrong.

A circuit that works can be sold. What's interesting is to find ones
that other people haven't yet found and sold; the economics is better.

Yes. The path to discovery is often roundabout. So let your brain
wander around.

Scientists are constrained by peer review and the requirement to
publish defensable arguments in standard forms. I have seen physicists
be brutal towards colleagues who make mistakes.

There is similar pressure in EE schools, to be analytically precise
and to follow accepted forms. An electronic designer just has to
create something that pleases him, and ideally pleases customers.

I was invited to be a physicist and declined. Electronic design is
fun.

Re: fiddled filter design
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:21:42 -0800, John Larkin

Maybe, maybe not.  Simple has its own rewards.  OTOH, if your circuit
isn't working, it's *USUALLY* a good idea to start with the simple
explanations, like "is the damned thing plugged in"?  Simple answers
are always the best.  Start there.

That's sorta silly.  Everything we know _could_ be wrong but that
doesn't make what we know useful.  We don't put foot notes on every
atom of knowledge we think we know.  To do so would indeed be silly.

Limburger cheese stinks.

What about scientists who don't toe the party line on AGW?

More importantly, his boss.

Profitable, too, huh?

Re: fiddled filter design

Yeah, and how about mathematicians who don't agree  2 + 2 = 4   ?

Hint: there's no 'party line', just peer review, and the peers find flaws
when they can.   Human cause for global warming has been the
best-of-show answer for decades now, no serious flaws in sight.

Re: fiddled filter design

Only an idiot like you could confuse theory and definition.

That's they way it's supposed to work.  It certainly doesn't work that
way with AGW.  Religion and politics have taken over the science.

Re: fiddled filter design
:

Only an idiot like krw could imagine that was a sensible response.

Actually it does. The climate change denial industry is paid by the fossil
carbon extraction industry to spread confusion and doubt about the issue, b
ut their output is aimed at the ill-informed and gullible (and krw and John
 Larkin are paid-up members of both groups).

Money has been spent to obscure the science, and influence politicians. Sci
entific opinion has not been influenced by this expenditure. There are scie
ntists - John Christy and Roy Spencer come to mind - whose religious convic
tions interfere with their scientific opinions, but their sloppy work got c
orrected anyway.

Krw is away in cloud-cuckoo-land, as usual.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: fiddled filter design

It is complete BS.
Climate change is caused by orbital changes:
 http://old.world-mysteries.com/alignments/mpl_al3b.htm

Ice ages will come, ice ages will go,
there were tropical forests where now the north pole is,
and likely will be again.

But taxing the weather .. will always ...

Re: fiddled filter design
On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 7:23:42 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org
:

Not this particular batch. There's been a degree Celcius of global warming
the last century, and no corresponding orbital change.

CO2 levels go up from about 180 ppm during ice ages to 270ppm during interg
lacials, which accounts for about half the temperature rise, with the loss
of high albedo ice cover on the more northern parts of the northern hemisph
ere accounting for most of the rest. Orbital changes are big enough - just-
 to trigger the switch between the two states, but that doesn't make them t
he cause.

In fact the current sequence of ice ages and interglacials only started 2.6
 millions years ago, and it won't take all that much continental drift to s
top it again.

The earth got by for hundred of millions of years seeing the same orbital c
hanges and not having ice ages - you have to have the continents in the rig
ht places for it to drive an ice age/interglacial switch.

It will take a while.

The current CO2 level - 405 ppm - is higher than it has been for some 20 mi
llions years, and nicely explains the current warming.

More CO2 and more warming would be a very bad idea.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: fiddled filter design

Not true; peer review is  kind of mutual support, and 'brutal'
criticism is the way we figure out what mistakes need erasing.
Erasing the bad parts is not 'constraint', it's 'correction'.

Criticism is NOT attack, nor assult, nor opposition: it comes
from colleagues, not enemies.   Sometimes, a portrayal of science
takes on the familiar dramatic form of storytelling, with
introduction, conflict, resolution, but that's just a storytelling
formula, not often how science happens.

Re: fiddled filter design

You weren't at the meetings that I was. Brutality.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: fiddled filter design

Granting the kind of twaddle you post here, you got the kind of criticism y
ou deserved, and you experienced it as an attack on your somewhat inflated
idea of you own expertise, rather than any kind of necessary correction. Sa
dly, it doesn't seem to have cured you of putting forward really silly idea
s.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: fiddled filter design

Bill, if you just designed, build, tested, and posted ANY working electronics here,
I would at least take you serious on that,

I have a theory ;-) that once you got exposed to some chemical and it changed the neural configuration,
you scared and went into electronics, and with that neural network pattern got stuck in a baxandal thingy,
and have been there ever since.
You attack the people who really design and build stuff, to divert from your lack of doing so,
preach from a high tower like an ...  and have nothing on your desk.
Cool it yes?
Designing something makes you humble.

Re: fiddled filter design

He has, even if not here.

I don't post such things here because I did that in a
different life, and I'm glad I don't need to wave my
willie around any more!

Not necessarily. /Occasionally/ such creation
is a good reason for a lack of humility.

Re: fiddled filter design
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:21:33 +0000, Tom Gardner

And according to himself, most were failures of various sorts.

OK, you don't design electronics either. Why post to s.e.d?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: fiddled filter design

Not any more.

I'm here to listen and learn. How about you?

Re: fiddled filter design
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:40:02 +0000, Tom Gardner

I like to talk about electronics and sometimes peripherial issues. A
few people here are skilled and helpful and help me think.

I also like to compare styles, like schematics and PCB layouts and
simulations and packaging, but hardly anyone is willing to post their
work. Most people are either paranoid or NDA'd.

I did find my best senior engineer in this NG, imported him here from
Houston. And I met Phil, Joerg, Speff, George, Jeroen, and some other
cool people here, and drunk beer with some of them. I knew James
Arthur already; he always skis in short pants.

Re: fiddled filter design
ticism you
ated idea
 Sadly,
deas.
ectronics here,

He means that they flatter him enough to let him feel comfortable. He doesn
't like being corrected - it makes him feel inadequate - so he doesn't lear
n anything like as much as he should.

James Arthur is morally challenged. He thinks it's okay to take money from
the Koch brothers to sell their brand of political nonsense, though - to be
 fair - he's intellectually challenged enough that he may not realise that
their political message is self-interested nonsense. Presumably he's willin
g to flatter John Larkin enough to blind John Larkin's unimpressive moral s
ensibilities.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Re: fiddled filter design

+1 to that lot

now you're getting really optimistic. Just killfile his stupid, pointless & endless arguments. He's not about to get cured.

NT

Re: fiddled filter design

A religionist can confront a scientist with a claim that
'your theory is wrong'.

The scientist then waits a few seconds to hear the observation that
led to this breakthrough (because a hole in an accepted theory IS a breakthrough,
an opening to new vistas of knowledge and understandiing).

The religionist voices  some dogma or ancient-text prescription supporting his
statement.  The scientist frowns, and walks away.

An ape, watching this exchange, sees one male accosting another, and the scientist
losing.

A fashion reporter notes the colorful necktie of the religionist, and the spiffy white
lab coat with wide, functional lapels.

A watching religionist  sees a triumph of [Marduk/Baal/Apollo]'s temple
over a lesser mortal institution.

A scientist watching the exchange doesn't see it that way, at all.   Don't waste
time over prestige/attitude/mood-based descriptions of scientific exchanges.

Re: fiddled filter design

One case I witnessed was one particle physicist brutalizing another
during a presentation; it looked normal in that crowd to me. Another
case was gross public humiliation of a helpless grad student by the
dean of the physics department. For being either wrong, or just not
smart enough.

The dean's wife was the dean of the Chemistry department at the same
university. Freshman Chemistry was used as a wholesale washout course,
to get rid of about 30% of the kids first semister.

People can't help being as smart as they were born. Nor should they
think being born smart somehow makes them superior. People should be
kind by default.