Emacs, I Already Broke It

I was just getting started with Emacs and had not yet run the tutorial. I wanted to increase the size of the font so I could read everything better. The options menu makes this very easy with a line item for "Set Default Font..." While there I was an item for "Use CUA Keys..." and checked it thinking I should at least give myself that hold over to my historical usage of GUI editors. Not a good idea.

Turn out the bottom of the first page tells you to use Cntl-V to move to the next page. Obviously that didn't work. :(

It just seems odd learning keys to move around in a buffer when I have a scroll mouse. I guess there will be times I am working over a serial port... I suppose. Will Alt-V be sent through a serial port correctly?

--

Rick C
Reply to

You may have to use Escape codes...look up the old ASCII tables for use with serial terminals.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

You mean the three or four character codes used in VT100 terminals? That ain't happening! At least, not if I have to type them in. Will the terminal emulator know to send these multi-character codes when I press Alt-whatever?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Do you mean like these?

The disclaimer at the bottom says "Some word processors will not recognize these ALT functions". You might have just have to find the manual...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

This is why I use Eclipse.

People who like emacs or vi (there are two camps) are VERY facile at navigating using the keyboard, and sneer at us mere mortals who like to use mice.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Indeed. There are two camps because in vi, your fingers rest over the home keys, whereas everything fancy in emacs seems to be Control-Shift-Meta-Left-Elbow-

:)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I remember using the old DEC type terminals. I was a wiz at flying over the keys around the number pad. But that was a long time ago and I much prefer what I know more recently, although fingers still have to leave the home position to get to the arrow keys. On top of that, for some unknown reason, all the new laptop keyboards have *no* feel for the various keys. It's like they are compelled to make them more attractive and less function. My last laptop had keys with space around them so I could feel where the home key was. Now I have to reach, guess and if all else fails - look! I think taking my eyes off the screen is worse than moving my fingers from the home position.

Emacs seems to have some odd conventions, but I expect once I learn and use them a bit they will become handy. I'm just so used to thinking in terms of the Windows CUA.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You don't use the pedals?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Emacs is a great editor/operating system, but there are better ones if you want to use mouse. I'm even using it as usenet client.

I would not count Alt-V working over serial port, I'm mostly using Ctrl-combos with occassional M-x (Esc-x then enter command) stuff.

Even though I strongly prefer Emacs, learning VI/VIM is much more useful for limited communications channels. VI is much more commonly available on small and embedded systems. Pico/nano are also quite common, but I stay away from them.

--
mikko - this post was written in Emacs and posted with Gnus
Reply to

Most important, you have to learn those editors when you are young, so you can enter the commands without even thinking. I am a vi user and I cannot operate emacs, and after using abominations like GNU Info I really don't want to think about learning it.

On the other hand, people cannot see how I can do so much in vi when the commands are all gibberish.

Reply to
Rob

page-up page-down should still work, that tutorial was written for

56-key keyboards.

yeah, if your terminal is compatible. ssh is more common than serial port, but the channel has similar features.

Jasen Betts