Datasheet duty cycle "@ 1khz"

What exactly is meant by @ 1khz? value should be somewhat independent of frequency?

e.g., 100mA peak current at 1/10 duty @ 1khz. What ist he peak current approximately if I run it at 10khz?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

"Jon Slaughter" schreef in bericht news:YWidl.9102$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com...

The implication is that whatever gets warm when run at 100mA has an appreciable thermal capacity, so it doesn't warm up too much if run at 100mA for 100usec, provided that y9ou let ti cool off for the next 900usec.

It will warm up even less if run at 100mA for 10usec, but the extra heated dissipated in the device wihile it is switching between on and off (and back again) will probably wipe off any advanatge you might hope for.

Unfortunately, the heat generated while the current is high will increase not only in proportion to the current but also with the voltage drop across the relevant part of the device, which can rise very rapidly indeed with increasing current when you push the current above specification.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Think about running that duty cycle at .01 hz, does that help?

Reply to
PeterD

Nope. Why not just run it at 0.0000001nHz?

Obviously as the duty cycle approaches 1 the peak current approaches the average current. Also for very low frequencies the peak current approaches the average current for a large time frame. (e.g., why not a duty cycle of

10^(-8) but a frequencfy of 10^(-1000000)

Ask your same question but with 10khz, then what? Because peak current is independent of frequency, at least for all reasonable ranges, I would expect no change. But what is a reasonable range? 10khz to 100hz? or what?

My question, again, is why they give 1khz? What if I want to run at another frequency? What about 1Mhz?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

So why not give a graph? Or are they saying 1khz is the optimal? i.e., ideally the peak current should be independent of frequency but it's obviously not. But they give no clue as to it's relation.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Probably the same, for all practical purposes.

Reply to
TTman

"Jon Slaughter" schreef in bericht news:6rsdl.14735$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com...

Some people do. It takes more work to produce and makes the data sheet longer

They shouldn't need to. The point is that the circuit would get too hot if the 100mA was sustained for any extended period of time.

The circuit might get hot enough to burn out if you sustained the 100mA for only one second, but the data sheet does tell you that if you sustain the

100mA for 100usec and then leave it to cool off for 900usec, the circuit will survive.

Presumably this is enough information for the people to whom they expect to sell most examples of the circuit

Ring up the applications department, or send them an e-mail, if you want to learn more.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

I'd have to see the datasheet, but this sounds like a limitation based on electromigration. If you PWM faster than a millisecond, then the average current in the metal path can be used in design for electromigration limits, rather than the peak current.

A good example of this is the MAX7219. You will notice the digit drivers are not sequential around the chip. This is to produce average current in the metal paths, rather than peak. Think of it as the firing order of a V-8, i.e. not sequential, but spread out for balance.

Reply to
miso

Huh?? *What* datasheet?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The reason that a frequency is given has to do with the thermal time constant of the device. If the on time is equal to the thermal time constant, then the temperature rise will reach will reach 63% of the temperature rise at 100% duty cycle. One year on and on year off is a

50% duty cycle. So is 1nsec on and 1 nsec off. See the following website for a nice write-u:.
osfet.pdf. Regards, Jon
Reply to
jd_lark

The reason that a frequency is given has to do with the thermal time constant of the device. If the on time is equal to the thermal time constant, then the temperature rise will reach will reach 63% of the temperature rise at 100% duty cycle. One year on and on year off is a

50% duty cycle. So is 1nsec on and 1 nsec off. See the following website for a nice write-u:.
Regards, Jon

------------

So given figure 3 it seems that higher frequency doesn't have much benefit... at least for the mosfets under question.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

mosfet.pdf.

I'm having a problem with the term normalized transient thermal resistance, basically normalized to what? I think you are obsessing on this too much. The 1ms rule is very common in process design rules. Basically, if you cycle in 1ms or faster, treat the electromigration rule as the DC average. If you really want to agonize over this, you can google pulsed electromigration.

Unless I missed it, you didn't spec the part in question. If it is power dissipation, if you meet the 1ms rule, use average power then check to see if the junction temperature is in spec.

I never had a chip fail BU QA under the 1ms rule.

Reply to
miso

The question you are asking makes clear just how badly you are missing the point. It is a simple statement of test conditions; like @ 25 degrees C. It is intended as an aid in replicating the test conditions in order to compare your own test data.

Reply to
JosephKK

ect

er

I'm guessing you filter google posters. I've answered this question already. Dig up papers on pulsed electromigration if you want the details, but 1ms minimum pulse width is a pretty typical process design parameter. [Not every foundry spells it out, but if you ask,

1ms is the number. I have to assume it is guardbanded.] Run faster than 1KHz, use average current, and it should be fine.
Reply to
miso