Cute FTPPro problems

Have 2 Win2K hard drives; one is recently formatted, progs installed, etc and seems equivalent to "old" one. CueFTP Pro times out after attempt to log to a site; old drive OK,new one not.

Tried uninstall of FireFox, and Cute FTPPro; then used CCleaner to clear related registry entries. Then re-installed and still have the timeout problem.

Is there a way of discovering the cause? Reason: Just made a new HD with Win7 and have SAME problem.

Help? Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I find your problem description to be a bit confusing so let me restate to see if I have it. You have a Win2K system that works fine when you run FTP Pro, it logs into the FTP sites you are interested in. You also have a new HDD with a fresh install of Win2K and relevant programs which when you run FTPPro does *not* log in successfully when you try to access the same site s. Likewise you made a fresh install of Win7 and also can't log in using F TPPro.

Did you check your firewall? Try turning it off.

I'm unclear as to your mention of reinstalling Firefox. You didn't say it was failing as well, is that right? Or is Firefox somehow connected with r unning FTPPro?

If this is a broader problem so that nothing can get on the Internet using the new HDDs, then I would suspect the firewall or some networking problem, not the programs. Do any other programs reach the Internet like IE? Can you ping 8.8.8.8 (somebody's name server that I use for testing access to t he Internet, it's never down in my experience)?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

  • Correct.
  • No; never had to fiddle with such bushwah. Do no even know if it is enabled/installed. Remember that once got an alert by the OS (WinXP) saying need of AV protection and (i think) offered a firewall. Worth looking into; Thanks.
  • Well, it was OK; just flailing around to possible interference.
  • everything else seems to work OK on the internet.
  • Infernal Exasporator/Exploder? You got to be kidding - it cannot even tie its own shoe laces. While IE8 can at least find Google.com, it cannot find
    or mouser.com or
Robert Baer