Civil Forfeiture Laws- Just Plain Wrong

This is done in a humorous way, but it is a sad commentary on what our government has devolved into. If you don't have time to be pissed off, don't watch it.

A victim is trying to do something.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Unconstitutional, surely?

Reply to
Chris

Unfortunately, no! It's part of the RICO act aimed at organized crime, but is overly applied to people just having a large amount of money on their person. ...Jim Thompson

Den fredag den 26. februar 2016 kl. 00.17.56 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

too me it seems like one reason it is so overly applied is that afaui a large portion if not all of the values confiscated goes to the police department doing it

I can't see how it is not a violation of a whole numbers of things, due process, presumption of innocence, right to property

also means the police have an interest in not confiscating for example drugs it just have to be destroyed, if they wait until it has been sold they can confiscate cash instead and keep it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Absolutely. One of our sons-in-law is a judge and he doesn't like the scheme one bit. ...Jim Thompson

I'm guessing because people can grow it for themselves rather than paying Big Pharma big bucks for some inferior legal substitute?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

IIRC 3 things: causing madness, causing overt sexuality, I forget the 3rd one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is part of it. Just now they're getting to allow it for medicinal purp oses because big pharma simply cannot compete. They did have something to d o with its prohibition though, as did paper mills and big oil.

Hemp has a tom of uses. The US Constitution is written on hemp paper. That' s not the half of it, some really serious hemp production would slow down t he demand for oil. Not that it can be used as gasoline or fuel, but that it replaces some of the other things that oil is used to produce.

People think oil and they think gasoline, but that is only part of the prod uct. Petroleum distillates have literally thousands of uses. Well the probl em is that hemp can be used for these same uses but it does not require sta rting wars in the middle east to get.

The medicinal properties are varied, but the smoking of pot has absoutley z ero deaths associated with it, unlike prescription drugs. It may interest p eople to know that legal drugs kill more people than illegal drugs in this country. Also, if you happen to be near a TV set and see a commercial for a new drug like "Ask your doctor about killyastine" look at the side effects . What are the side effects of pot ? Well the munchies yes, but it is about like smoking a cigarette. It is a little bit more unhealthy for your lungs but people generally, even heavy pot smokers, do not smoke 40 joints a day . (two packs)

But just have a look at LEGAL drugs. Side effects include birth defects, ki dney damage, death, high blood pressure and stroke. If they really gave a s hit about people those things would be illegal and pot would be on sale at the local grocery store.

Another thing people do not realize is that hospitals kill more people than guns and drunk drivers combined. And I mean kill, not fail to save. I am t alking mistakes in dosages and treatments that would not be tolerated in an y other industry. Heads would roll until they got competent people in there anywhere else.

And those mistakes are made by people who make damn good money. It is not s ome orderly unplugging a life support machine to buff the floors. These are misplaced decimal points n shit like that, with no time for common sense t hat this guy who weighs 120 pounds does not need 2,000 mG of this drug thre e times a day. Six grams of almost anything that comes out of those glorifi ed chemical companies will kill a moose, let alone a human.

One of the problems in this country is we let people get rich. Back in the

1970s, above $100,000 a year was taxed. I mean taxed out of existence at li ke 90 %. This forced people to spend their money, this forced companies to spend their money. Give bonuses to employees, pay higher dividends, invest in expanding the business. Now it has become more logical to hold on to the money and put it in the US propped up stock market. And yes, the governmen t is propping up the market by quantitative easing. They are also propping up the dollar by issuing - get this - paper gold. If they were not doing th ese things the DJIA would be less than half what it is and gold would be at least twice what it is. But every regime want to show good numbers.

They are all totally bought and paid for. Looks like an interesting electio n coming up though, with the two front runners not being favored by the pol itical party. I want to see what they do about that. I want to see a race b etween Sanders and Trump. Neither are really the right person, but look at the alternatives. Hillary flat out lies, supposedly bitching about the big banks when a whole shitload of her money came from them. It is hard to be;i eve how bought and paid for these people are.

And it is the American way. Has been for a long time. The civil war was fou ght by Men who believed in solid currency, which the US government was unde rmining at the time. It was financed by slave owners of course, but how did they get the common Man to fight for the cause that costs them jobs and ea rning power ? Just tell them what Roger B. Taney did as secretary of the tr easury, though unconfirmed by congress. It all started then, the next step, Wilson. The next step was the 1929 depression, which was caused on purpose , and FDR playing right along.

Now we are in Admiralty Maritime Jurisdiction. Remember alcohol prohibition ? Well no but you know it existed right ? Why was it a Constitutional amen dment ? It was, because outlawing what a person can take into their body is not a power granted to the federal government by its founding documents. A s such there would have been a challenge in the courts and the liquor peopl e had enough money to win. You would think that today a Constitutional chal lenge could be made against pot laws, but not under Admiralty Maritime Juri sdiction. That is when things changed. ]

Courts not only give the Constitution lip service while violating it all th e time. The only way you can beat them on Constitutional issues is to make them afraid to be embarrassed. If you ever have to fight them, take all you r evidence, notarized and with plenty of copies, down to the clerk of court s and make it all a matter of public record in case a judge disallows it. T hat gives you solid grounds for an appeal, of course only in case you are r ight. IF you robbed a liquor store forget it. But if you are fighting for y our rightful rights, there are ways.

Most people know nothing. People, including most Presidential candidates do n't even know the powers and limitaitons of the office. And they get the re presentation they deserve. The government does not care about anything but rewarding their friends and punishing their enemies. And the people vote fo r money. The poor vote for more welfare and the rich vote for less taxes, w ith callous nigard to the well being of the country or the world.

So in a while, they will be living in a third world country.

Reply to
jurb6006

There's a lot of interesting history behind that.

Political ambition, racism, fear, and greed (money), mostly. Very little of it had anything to do with actual facts such as health risks or crime.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Just ask LaGuardia!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You're an idiot. Humans have self inebriated for several millennia. That will NEVER end. Wake up and smell the coffee, dumbfuck.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, and naturally Massachusetts is one of the worst ones:

Also, don't ever make the "mistake" of running a small business and dropping deposits of random amounts under 10k into your account.

Your accounts can be seized before trial - before you're even formally charged with anything IIRC.

They'll figure out if you're innocent or guilty eventually. You might see some of the cash back at some point, two, three years maybe to straighten it out - it'll be a while.

Reply to
bitrex

The big brother crap has reached the absurd. I'm not the world's greatest adder :-(, so on occasion I've been known to drop into the bank and add $10 to the business account so I don't have a messy job of patching up the check-book totals.

They make me show ID! to make a $10 cash deposit !! ...Jim Thompson

Sadly, because the $10,000 triggers a notice to government, many small businesses are in the habit of "dropping deposits of random amounts under 10k into [their] account[s]" Government is overstepping!

A few years ago I visited my mother once a year, 1000 miles one way. She lived on a minimal SS check, so I always carried $2k or $3k to give to her. I carried that and a couple more just for the kids to spend and in case of an emergency. One year I had a herniated disc and sciatica and could not sit long enough to make the drive, so we flew. There was no way I would carry $4k through an airport with all the national security you need to go through, mom didn't get her Christmas present that year. Yes, I could write a check, but that would have triggered a wife alert!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

When I had kids in college I got annoyed at BofA (*) charging me $10 to transfer money from my account to the kids' accounts, though they were also at BofA (in Californica). So I used a FedEx overnight envelope. Never lost a dime ;-)

(*) Now BofA doesn't charge for BofA account-to-account transfers. ...Jim Thompson

It is a very insane process. I think the video tells the story very well. I expect 99% of the time the law is used on true bad guys, but the fact remains that innocent people are hurt badly by this law and that the law is used unjustly.

The worst part is that there is little if any recourse. This skirts most of our constitutional protections because bizarrely enough the aggrieved party is not the property owner but the property itself. I believe this has gone to the Supreme Court and they have ruled the owners do not have "standing" to sue.

--

Rick
Reply to

snip

Then use an ATM, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snip

There is no problem having that much when you do air travel. So, you ain't all that bright.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think that is because at some point in time someone deposited money in someone elses account to make them look guilty, like of theft or taking bribes.

Reply to
jurb6006

Some of that comes from retired law enforcement officials (~50-55) running for public office, getting appointed as public safety officials and such. They represent the interests of law enforcement and pass legislation "to serve and protect" the public.

One manifestation is the "task force" - cops are donated by towns to work on fighting the drug war. The towns pay these people and provide some equipment. The tools for fighting the drug war are expensive - helicopters, surveillance equipment, armored vehicles, automatic weapons, personal armor, tactical underwear... and aren't something a town budget can afford. The money for those toys sometimes comes from the federal government but more often is "earned" through asset forfeiture.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to