Cheap AndEasy 6.3 Volts

ly to increase bandwidth, albeit at the cost of gain. "

I'll be damned. Just looked it up and Veb is like 25 volts. I would have ne ver thunk it so high. Think germanium and you almost automatically think lo wer voltages. But there it is in my old spec book fom Howard W. Sams back in the 1980s, maybe a but earlier. The 2N711 is not rated but the 2N1193 is .

I doubt it will make the bandwidth but at least I can be more sure of the r eadings I take.

I already checked the power supply and all regulated voltages are fine, the unregulated voltages are all low but the line voltage is down to like 108 volts. That is true RMS so if the tops ad bottoms of the sine wave are clip ped off it means even lower rectified voltages off the power transformer. b ut I temporarily turned off the electric heater running on the same extensi on ad the voltages came up, no change.

You mean to put across the emitter and base ? I don't have alot of confiden ce in that method. Maybe if I give it some resistance to the collector ? I dunno. It is a common collector stage so it should be able to handle a bit more gain. But 40 times as much ? I think that is asking alot.

This book does not give a range or hfe versus HFE, it just specifies it at a certain collector current.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 06:36:42 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: nt:

sely to increase bandwidth, albeit at the cost of gain. "

never thunk it so high. Think germanium and you almost automatically think lower voltages. But there it is in my old spec book fom Howard W. Sams bac k in the 1980s, maybe a but earlier. The 2N711 is not rated but the 2N1193 is.

readings I take.

he unregulated voltages are all low but the line voltage is down to like 10

8 volts. That is true RMS so if the tops ad bottoms of the sine wave are cl ipped off it means even lower rectified voltages off the power transformer. but I temporarily turned off the electric heater running on the same exten sion ad the voltages came up, no change.

ence in that method.

I do. Don't forget that inverting will cane hfe as well. And you can put as many diodes on as you want. And I assume you know geranium diodes vary in their characteristics quite a bit. Some have pink flowers some have blue :)

NT

mmon collector stage so it should be able to handle a bit more gain. But 40 times as much ? I think that is asking alot.

t a certain collector current.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Get another Hi-Pot. I'm lucky to have a Hi-Pot store down the street from me. Every time I drive past there I think I should stop in for some components.

Reply to
sms

Apparently you didn't get the memo. I got one in the form of an AC output w all wart. Phil clued me in that they are pretty well insulated, and it work s fine. We are now engaging in idle speculation about RMS and ripple voltag e and all that, just for fun. The issue has been settled many posts ago, we are just having a little fun driving ourselves crazy. Welcome to the club.

Reply to
jurb6006

** Yesterday, I found a web forum on scope repair where the poster used an AC external adaptor the same purpose for the same reason - its twin bobbin, all plastic construction.

Darned if I can find the same page now.

I really don't think cardboard insulated transformers are up to handling 3700VDC for long.

.... Phil

We are now engaging in idle speculation about RMS and ripple voltage and all that, just for fun. The issue has been settled many posts ago, we are just having a little fun driving ourselves crazy. Welcome to the club.

Reply to
Phil Allison