charge pump/boost converter

This series is really cool:

Depending on which of the pins you ground, it will convert a positive input to a positive or negative output.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

well, a buck and a buck-boost are kind of similar

==== (1)----. .--+---mmmm-+--(3) ---- | | ---. | | | | | `----------magic | | `--|

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Of course, the same is true of the $1.50 eBay buck converters. To make a negative supply, you ground the output apply power between there and the +in wire, and let it pump its 'ground' pin negative. (You knew that already.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

73-2-ND/4006941

_oscillator1.htm

If it existed.

We were talking about transformers rather than inductors. Even with inducto rs one has to be aware that a small 100uH inductor will saturate or burn ou t rather earlier than a larger (and more expensive) part. If you know enoug h to be aware of self-resonant frequencies, the situation gets even more co mplicated.

If you put in a little more effort you might be able to find a coil winder who didn't take weeks.

We were talking about transformers, rather than inductors. Even so "tons" i sn't a useful measure.

If they provide the performance you need, fine. +48V from +5V USB doesn't s eem to be a mass market application.

This thread doesn't seem to have thrown up a specific "standard switcher" f or bitrex's application.

Vapour-ware is so much easier to generate.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Does that always work? I hadn't thought it through.

Given this horrible flu thing that I have, there are lots of things I'm not thinking through. I think I'll draw a schematic; that's easy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 22. juli 2015 kl. 19.37.31 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

it is shown in some datasheets/appnotes

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I do it a fair amount with 150 kHz Simple Switchers (my fave) and have never had a problem. You design a buck that goes from Vin-Vout to

-Vout. The two issues are:

  1. The voltage stress on the IC is Vin-Vout rather than Vin

  1. The feedback pin isn't ground referenced, so you can't put a cap multiplier inside the DC loop, which I like to do when I can. (You use split feedback, as with driving a capacitive load with an op amp and series resistor.) There are bandaids for this, of course, e.g. hanging a TLV431 on the cap multiplier.

Get well soon!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's well past midnight for me, sorry excuse, but a cap multiplier inside a DC loop in a buck or boost , what the heck is that?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Capacitance multipliers are amazingly good at cleaning up SMPSes, but they're a bit squishy on the DC regulation.

If you close the DC loop of an LM2594 (or something like that) around the emitter of the cap multiplier, and the AC loop around from the switcher's output, you get the best of all worlds: decent efficiency and very very low noise.

It's pretty simple: normal buck + cap multiplier, FB pin driven by a resistor from the cap multiplier output (to keep the regulation reasonable) and a capacitor from the FB pin to the SMPS output (to keep the loop stable).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ok, but for the efficiency, you loose some power in the capacitance multiplier. Like those made for class A amplifiers, right?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Don't know about class A amplifiers, at least if you mean audio. A cap multiplier is just an emitter follower hung on an N-pole RC lowpass.

For what I do, the tradeoff is generally between losing a bit of efficiency on a switcher, or having to use a shunt-regulated cap multiplier as a linear regulator, because switcher noise is intolerable.

As I often repeat, "there's SMPS quiet and then there's instrument quiet."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, and if you're desperate for that last half a volt, you can use a low-sat NPN and source a little current into the RC from the input supply. That'll reduce the dropout voltage. You do have to keep enough headroom for V_CEsat plus the peak-to-peak ripple.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
As if it wasn't self-serving: "The circuit is probably best known from
Jim Williams' series of application notes for Linear Technology, on

so

so?

be

lock

mp?

-2-ND/4006941

you

uctor - would work well. MOS-FET transistors do a bit better than bipolar t ransistors, but Baxandall's paper rather pre-dates them.

cillator1.htm

eb-site

The point was that what I was putting forward wasn't my low distortion osci llator, but rather Peter Baxandall's Class-D oscillator, which has been a s uccess story in a coupe of applications.

out > >the Baxandall label.

Someone from the UK e-mailed me the story about giving the Baxandall circui t to a Linear Technology rep to answer a question that Jim Williams had had the reps put around. They weren't prepared to make a big revelation out of the story, which was old - Linear Technology's AN45 was published in 1991 and the Baxandall style cold-cathode driver is figure 36 amongst a bunch of other circuits, so it goes back 25 years, and Jim Williams is dead.

rent mirror rather than the feed inductor, but that's not the low distortio n oscillator I'm working on at the moment.

Completeness.

e an idiot, but you really don't have to do it quite as often as you do.

Your famous difficulties with comprehending complex sentences may influence that point of view.

And why post something now? You are reacting to a post I made on the 19th J uly 2015. You are slow, but six weeks is a long time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The Royer and Jensen circuits go back to 1954 and 1957 respectively and so predate Baxandall. Both were still known in the late 70s textbooks. Are you saying that Jim Williams got the idea from Baxandall but credited Royer?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

ithout > >the Baxandall label.

rcuit to a Linear Technology rep to answer a question that Jim Williams had had the reps put around. They weren't prepared to make a big revelation ou t of the story, which was old - Linear Technology's AN45 was published in 1

991 and the Baxandall style cold-cathode driver is figure 36 amongst a bunc h of other circuits, so it goes back 25 years, and Jim Williams is dead.

current mirror rather than the feed inductor, but that's not the low distor tion oscillator I'm working on at the moment.

The difference between Royer and Baxandall is the inductor in series with t he centre-tap.

Royer doesn't have it, and produces square waves (usually with spikes at th e switching transitions).

The Baxandall class-D oscillator produces sine waves. They aren't perfect s ine waves, but a couple of percent of third order harmonic and progressivel y less higher order harmonics beat the pants off a Royer inverter.

makes the Jensen inverter a variant of the Royer approach.

Royer's paper, which I did see once, back in 1970, made a lot of fuss about using saturating transformer cores and driving them into saturation, which isn't actually necessary nor a good idea. Letting the drive transistors co me out of saturation works just as well.

As far as I can tell, Jim Williams was given a copy of a schematic of a Bax andall inverter, but no reference to Baxandall's 1959 paper, and cited Roye r's paper as the closest thing he knew about to prior art. It was a bit sil ly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, I think it is a tricky topology to get pure sine waves from. When voltage fed you have to ensure a small non-conducting dead time when both transistors are off. When current fed (by inductor) that dead time would be lethal and instead an overlapping conduction time is necessary but that places both transistors as a dead short across the resonant tank. Is that why you are trying a current source instead of inductor?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

ct sine waves, but a couple of percent of third order harmonic and progress ively less higher order harmonics beat the pants off a Royer inverter.

The Baxandall circuit doesn't bother about non-conducting dead time - it pr edates MOS-FET swtiches, and doesn't care much about both BJT transistors b eing slightly on - but not saturated - at cross-over.

Life gets more complicated with MOS-FET swtiches.

r5.htm

describes as circuit that's guaranteed to start-up (note the worst-case Vgs difference between the switching transistor models) and not draw too much current when it's working. It's not something I'd build in real life, but i t works in LTSpice. The .asc file is on the web-site.

The current mirror delivers a tolerably pure half-sine wave current into th e centre tap, which the inductor doesn't. There's nothing more to it than t hat.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to