Being fat-headed is heritable

Today's Proceedings of the US National Academy of Science contained an interesting paper.

Obesity seems to be correlated with heritable brain differences.

There may be practical implications, but the researchers - not unexpectedly - see the need to do more studies to find out what they might be, if they exist.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The tendency to be obese might be genetically determined but if they had to catch their own food before they could eat it then it wouldn't matter. The problem is that there is so much energy dense junk food.

Obese parents tend to have obese kids but I suspect that is much more to do with their idea of a "normal" meal portion size than anything else.

I am surprised they haven't picked up on the tendency of people who don't put on weight to almost never sit still and always be doing something (generally not eating sugary fatty snacks continuously).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That may come into it, but heritable differences in brain structure do correlate with obesity.

Portion size would affect adopted kids just as much as.

It does seem to be a known feature. How you'd instill fidgeting isn't clear.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to