Attachments to text newsgroup posts, was Phase shift oscillator - Phase_Shift_Osc.asc

This is a test to see whether an LTspice netlist can be attached to a text file and posted to a USENET text newsgroup using Agent and Giganews.

If it shows up as an attachment and clicking on it brings up the schematic, then it works.

--
JF

begin 644 Phase_Shift_Osc.asc
M5F5R
Reply to
John Fields

It works here, just like Phil Hobbs said. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

Right click, launch... fires right up in LTspice!

But then there's Joerg's wonderful "standard"...

Right click in the message, open attachment directory, then click on the file name. IF you can find it when no file name is indicated. Once you find it, launch with LTspice. Oh, my! That's certainly a simpler way to go :-)

But Joerg will still claim superiority... he's trying to lay claim as new holder of the Larkin Seat for Obstinacy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Missed a step, "inline" text attachment will require that you right click in message body first and then click "save attachments", BEFORE you can open attachment directory....

...Jim Thompson

I'm not seeing any posts with attachments. This one is the head of a thread -- perhaps not all news servers are letting it by?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Could be.

What do you see if you retrieve this message-ID? ...

From: John Fields Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Subject: Attachments to text newsgroup posts, was Phase shift oscillator - Phase_Shift_Osc.asc Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:33:30 -0500 Message-ID: ...Jim Thompson

Dunno.

Maybe yours is blocking attachments to text-only newsgroups.
Reply to
John Fields

Same here. Jim T. graciously gave me the message id:

My news server (news.individual.net) refused to find the message id and rejected the request, outright. Then I went to google's own groups.google.com advanced search and plugged in the message ID there. It also appears to fail, at least as of a few minutes ago, with and without angle brackets:

I did see it here:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

If the one you are referring to was the phase shift oscillator posted by Warren, that worked for me. But the attachments from Phil and Joerg did not work for me. In my case, it seems that the failure is that my Thunderbird installation does not recognize that those attachments are .asc files. It does recognize Warren's attachment correctly. Others have had failures, too.

In my case, I consider it my problem. That said, it may be possible that whomever posts an attachment may be able to do something that will make the attachment more "universally usable". :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

ehsjr expounded in news:ingqkt$q5d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Ed that is probably because I attached it as a binary attachment. Thunderbird always worked for that AFAIK. The reason I had to use the UNENCODED (binary) attachment form, is that my *.asc file had the mu character in it, thanks to LTspice. The mu char is hex B5, which trips off the "it's binary" alert when you try to attach it.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

I don't know how to retrieve articles by ID, either in Thunderbird or Pan. That article certainly doesn't show up -- only the replies.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

In Agent, you just double-click the message-ID. ...Jim Thompson

Thunderbird thinks the message ID is an email address. Pan thinks it's just text.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

google groups' advanced search offers a box for you. Accessible from most any browser. However, google doesn't keep everything, so there is no guarantee there (or anywhere, unless you pay premium dollars for it these days.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Probably a configuration issue.

In Agent it's done this way...

URL and MIME Settings URLs Launching URLs x Double-click to launch How to interpret a name@domain URL: Assume the URL is a message-ID ...Jim Thompson

("Him" didn't post, so it's "whoever" :-))

Agreed, and since it seems that some USENET text-only providers find
attachments, of any kind, anathema, it seems to me that the sensible
way to post "universally usable" data would be to cut it from the
application and paste it as plaintext into the body of the responding
post.
Reply to
John Fields

Possibly uncheck "mime encoding" ?? ...Jim Thompson

Thanks! That saves me from spinning my wheels, trying to figure it out.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

--
What good would that do?

Posting LTspice netlists as plaintext into the body of posts has
always worked before and has avoided the issues of attachment.

Why try to ruin that?
Reply to
John Fields

If you "inline" attach, that's fine, saves several copy/paste operations.

Just text in the body adds steps.

Are text attachments forbidden by some providers? I use GigaNews, so everything works :-) ...Jim Thompson