Amusing electric car stats

Sounds like you have a wall around that, does it keep people from entering illegally?

Interesting! Also probably why so many Canadians come to Florida for the winter. :-)

it will be.

Oil field run dry.

When the price is too low to support the cost of new production, there will still be oil, just not economic to retrieve.

Oil producing nations are "in constant pain" about this - with the possible exception of Norway which dumps the royalties into its sovereign wealth fund.

Yes, at some point it will every country for themselves, cartels fall apart.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

:

e:

ote:

c car

are

e as

The average car spends 95% of its time parked, and it makes sense to charge it where it's parked, rather than having to make trip to a charging statio n.

nd can work all the time except when it doesn't. Your support of it is bas ed on a single data point and as we've discussed before this is not enough information to adequately characterize the situation.

.

"single data point" that you are claiming that you have identified.

gument.

le data point".

f your thinking regarding EVs. Unfortunately there is a *lot* of informati on that single datum hides.

Ah, so you do know the single data point in question.

6% of the time parked away from home.

and I dug up a link that showed that proportion didn't drop much below 88% at any time - it may look as if every car in the area is on the road at pea k commuting times, but the figures don't seem to support that point of view .

And none of that is relevant because the car is not useful at a single poin t in time. It is only useful when used to store energy to be released at a nother time. If the car is in transit at the time its energy is needed, it can't be used. Energy needs to be drawn at peak usage times. This is ex actly when the availability drops to the minimum for commuting cars.

BTW, what does "not much below 88%" mean? Does that mean 87%? 85%? 80%, 50 %?

The devil is in the details.

in-the-US

You didn't really read this link did you? It doesn't say what you think it says or at least not what you are claiming.

t a Supercharger network to support travel.

be unusual in this respect.

Not at all relevant. Nearly everyone takes trips that will require refueli ng along the way, even if only on the return trip. So they care about rech arging on route.

e highways enough that the range can be properly utilized. There is a loca tion in Quartzsite, AZ with only 8 chargers for many miles. It has become a recurring congestion point. I'm sure Tesla will resolve the issue someti me soon, but with the increased sales from the model 3 this will happen in other locations as well.

and there is no money to add them. L2 chargers are all that is needed for long term parking (home and work are the most useful). But many home loca tions simply don't have facilities to support this and it can be very expen sive to add them.

point.

outlet by her parking space in the garage of the apartment building in CA. CA has a law that says the apartment owners have to accommodate her needs, but at her expense. They seem to be cooperating with her, but the work in volved is not like adding a 20 foot wire and outlet in your garage.

to charge more on top of this - mechanically robust protection for what oth erwise would be an accessible power lead, and an insurance inspection to pr ove that putting in the wiring is not going to set up any kid of potentiall y hazardous situation. Lazy apartment owners know how to get out of inconv enient requests.

Not sure what your point is.

cern me is vandalism. Because they are new I would expect some percentage of them to be damaged or the cables stolen for the copper inside. But then I'm not an apartment type of person.

key-operated gates on every entry point. The cars stored there are a lot m ore valuable than a length of copper cable.

Your point? Kids don't see a car as a "new" thing. There is also not much they can steal for money. I know of people stealing copper for the moneta ry value and I know of chargers that have been vandalized.

No, exactly, it can't be averaged. It would need to be paid by the individ ual who lives in the apartment. There are lots of those.

don't have their own wells or grow their own food.

have power points adequate for regular power tools. Plugging a car charger into such a power point isn't comparable with digging a well.

You seem to be smoking dope on this one. I've already explained it to you. Go back and read why you are off target here.

the electricity so they need to be connected to the appropriate meter and then run to an appropriate parking space.

en parking meters can now recognise regular cash cards.

Bethesda, MD (a restaurant Mecca). It would be nice to get something for t hat money. But those meters don't have power.

Canada a parking meter has a low-powered power socket for your car's radiat or warmer - and your parking charge pays for that current.

So the problem is solved for Canadian cars parked at public parking meters. .. after they've increased the power capability ten fold or more.

's a *lot* of money to cough up even if it makes money in the end. It won' t happen overnight and in the mean time there aren't good places to charge in general, other than at the fast chargers or at home if possible.

ains electricity supply and the information link to report and verify credi t card transactions, and beefing that up to support domestic charging curre nts isn't going to make much difference to the price - which is mostly digg ing the holes and filling them in afterwards.

o-PDF

I don't know that all parking meters have power lines to them rather than j ust having batteries. But more importantly is the widespread adoption of m ulti-space meters where you walk to a kiosk to buy a parking permit. Then you would need an extension cord half a block long. They would be stolen.

of their needs. This is the charging method that is getting little attent ion, especially from people like Larkin.

up by people who want to keeping making money out of selling gasoline.

if there were no environmental advantage to them at all (which some people will claim) they are pretty awesome vehicles in their own right. One of th eir greatest advantages is the acceleration. Merging into traffic is a bre eze. While on the entrance ramp at 30 I can literally punch the accelerato r as a car is going by and my speed is matched in two seconds as I merge in behind. In fact, I have to be very careful to not overdo it and end up be side the other car. lol

n to music and enjoy it almost like being in my living room! Better actual ly as my stereo is rather old and not as good as the sound system in the ca r.

ime, or

fficient use of gasoline than pure gas-guzzlers. The economics do favour el ectric cars.

of gas to plummet with the lowered demand.

untries.

a typo.

iate reduced production to get it back up again.

iating as prices are rising is easy, negotiating as prices are falling is n ot so easy. Mostly this will be driven by pain of lower net profits and ha rd to make up. Essentially it will keep the oil producing nations in a con stant pain for some time.

"in constant pain" about this - with the possible exception of Norway whic h dumps the royalties into its sovereign wealth fund.

Lol, like Liberace, they cry all the way to the bank!

a need for intelligent control of charging to properly utilize the existin g electrical infrastructure rather than building a lot of generation and tr ansmission that aren't required.

l power generated to keep them charged.

Proceedings of the IEEE on the subject a couple of decades ago, which I ca n still remember reading, but can't be bothered to try and dig out.

That doesn't address the fact that an increase in demand does not automatic ally require an increase in capacity when there is so much unused capacity.

ion network is lightly loaded, this shouldn't require any extra transmissio n capacity (not that the people who build it and charge for it are likely t o admit this).

er rates, but the bottom line for generation and transmission is that they are now competitive and this may finally pay off for the consumer. We don' t pay anyone to build generation or transmission infrastructure... or do we ? There is presently a bit of a scandal in South Carolina where the power company and several other outfits botched the construction of a nuke plant. The consumers have been paying higher rates for some time to pay for the construction and it has now failed and will produce no power ever. Dominio n (a VA based utility) is buying the SC utility if I am reading the article s correctly and seem to want to push all new costs of this failed plant to the consumers as well. It's something over $1,000 per household. I don't follow why the local power companies get to push any costs to the consumers when generation and transmission are supposed to be separate now.

uential businessmen, who can pay the bribes, and also the lawyers to makes sure that the bribes stay hidden. Trump clearly didn't pay his lawyer enoug h.

Absolutely. I have no doubt the utilities will cry and moan in a few years as EVs start to take off. That's why is would be useful to contact legisl ators to act now to require the power companies to mitigate the problem bef ore it becomes a "crisis".

Rick C.

+- Get 6 months of free supercharging +- Tesla referral code -
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Or don't have the best credit. Lower priced EVs are IMO one of the few classes of vehicle it might make financial sense to lease but you want to avoid plonking money into a lease down payment for a number of reasons.

My credit's quite good I pocketed most of that, I'd never pay anything near $2500 on a lease down payment on a ~30k car, around 1k would be my max or I'd go somewhere else. It pays for three years of excise tax which because it's MA is rather high.

Reply to
bitrex

The PT Crusier didn't offer anything novel other than its styling. Under its retro-dress it was a Dodge Neon. A Dodge Neon in a dress.

Americans tend to over-spend on their vehicles, period. A base trim regular cab/long box 2WD F-150 is just shy of 30 grand, new, a fine work truck. Almost nobody buys those they get the F-150 with 4x4 and the crew cab and the bling options that quickly push the price tag out to 45k and beyond.

They end up on the used market in a few years at very attractive prices compared to what they sold for new

Reply to
bitrex

Hugely. The resulting value for money is lousy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Like most agressively ugly vehicles, it had a cult audience. But cult audiences are eventually saturated. Eventually everybody who wants one has one.

It will be interesting to see if electrics are fads among enthusiasts, or have genuine broad appeal. Currently, the electric buyers are mostly virtue-signalling greenies or enthusiasts who enjoy calculating ranges and charge times and such.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not in small part because of duplicitous/high-pressure sales tactics, the unprepared car buyer tends to leave with more car than they planned on shelling out for.

Cars are one of the few consumer goods that it's still customary to haggle over, even at a reputable major dealer with numerous good reviews.

I didn't get a good offer on my first or second try at closing a deal on my Volt. It took the better part of three hours of back and forth in a sales office, pulling out my calculator and pen and paper and running numbers on the spot to "frighten" them ("I'm rather good with figures..."), making phone calls ("Excuse me a sec...") and generalized arm-twisting to Donald Trump them into submission on a price I wanted to pay.

I kinda enjoy doing that every once in a while, the sales rep and I shake hands after it's over and no hard feelings it's just business. Their usual tactics don't intimidate me at all. Not everyone is that way, though.

Reply to
bitrex

That applies here too. US cars are just stupidly overpowered, overweight & overpriced.

Well... with one exception :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wonder if Americans will ever get tired of the Wrangler, speaking of aggressively ugly, unreliable vehicles! Sucks as a car, and there are much more capable off-road vehicles. 95% won't ever see dirt. Sold on emotion.

GM could've sold twice as many Volts if they'd given it the marketing push it deserved. I think part of the problem was they'd been selling cars on emotion/style for so long the marketing department forgot how to sell to consumers on facts and raw data, say 1950-style. "Here's a car. Here's why it's different, here's what it does, here's how owning it could save you money." I don't think they know how anymore

Reply to
bitrex

I had a girlfriend once who owned a lot of shoes, I asked one time "Say, why do you own so many shoes?" and she retorted "I can't be seen on the train standing next to some bitch wearing better shoes than I am!"

This relationship didn't last. Guess I'm not "aggressively American" enough oh well

Reply to
bitrex

It sounds like it has a lawnmower engine. My first car was a used 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity with the base-trim engine, a single-point injection "Iron Duke" four

It's the same engine used in the Grumman LLV mail trucks still in common use here in the US:

It probably made about 100 hp on a good day. Best I can say for that car's performance is "unremarkable."

Reply to
bitrex

2 cylinder 18 horses. Wasted spark, not even a distributor.

Who needs remarkable?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, a Calvinist doesn't, that's sort of what a Calvinist would argue. Life is a curse and every puerile desire of the flesh must be denied to render it pure, and that includes the desire to enjoy driving a vehicle that moves in a straight line any quicker than it has to by necessity.

American culture is in many ways descended from its Calvinist founders but Calvinism's rigidity is somewhat diluted now, many disagreements among Americans are about particulars-of-denial and where the dividing line between a "good" person and "bad" person is, precisely.

About the one thing the majority of Americans can agree about is that most kinds of sex are wrong so there need to be substitutes.

Reply to
bitrex

e:

:

ncern me is vandalism. Because they are new I would expect some percentage of them to be damaged or the cables stolen for the copper inside. But the n I'm not an apartment type of person.

re key-operated gates on every entry point. The cars stored there are a lot more valuable than a length of copper cable.

The wall around the parking area extends upwards to support twelves floors of apartments. It is a structural element that was an essential part of the design of the building from the start, as opposed to an add-on proposed b y a recent strata-committee chairman with an eye for voting-catching extrav agances.

y don't have their own wells or grow their own food.

t have power points adequate for regular power tools. Plugging a car charge r into such a power point isn't comparable with digging a well.

the electricity so they need to be connected to the appropriate meter and then run to an appropriate parking space.

en parking meters can now recognize regular cash cards.

Bethesda, MD (a restaurant Mecca). It would be nice to get something for that money. But those meters don't have power.

n Canada a parking meter has a low-powered power socket for your car's radi ator warmer - and your parking charge pays for that current.

Both are responses to very low winter temperatures.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te:

ote:

ric car

ns are

ble as

. The average car spends 95% of its time parked, and it makes sense to char ge it where it's parked, rather than having to make trip to a charging stat ion.

and can work all the time except when it doesn't. Your support of it is b ased on a single data point and as we've discussed before this is not enoug h information to adequately characterize the situation.

nt.

he "single data point" that you are claiming that you have identified.

argument.

ngle data point".

of your thinking regarding EVs. Unfortunately there is a *lot* of informa tion that single datum hides.

After you identified it. It wasn't actually a single data point - as I went on to point out.

16% of the time parked away from home. 95% parked does seem to capture a common feature of car ownership.

, and I dug up a link that showed that proportion didn't drop much below 88 % at any time - it may look as if every car in the area is on the road at p eak commuting times, but the figures don't seem to support that point of vi ew.

int in time. It is only useful when used to store energy to be released at another time. If the car is in transit at the time its energy is needed, it can't be used. Energy needs to be drawn at peak usage times. This is exactly when the availability drops to the minimum for commuting cars.

50%?

I posted the link at the time.

e-in-the-US

it says or at least not what you are claiming.

You don't seem to have understood what it says. Peak road occupancy isn't s harply peaked - there are no more than twice as many cars on the road at pe ak times as there are in the middle of the day.

ilt a Supercharger network to support travel.

to be unusual in this respect.

ling along the way, even if only on the return trip. So they care about re charging on route.

But there aren't many of them, so en-route recharging doesn't demand massiv e investment in charging stations.

es and there is no money to add them. L2 chargers are all that is needed f or long term parking (home and work are the most useful). But many home lo cations simply don't have facilities to support this and it can be very exp ensive to add them.

er point.

t outlet by her parking space in the garage of the apartment building in CA . CA has a law that says the apartment owners have to accommodate her need s, but at her expense. They seem to be cooperating with her, but the work involved is not like adding a 20 foot wire and outlet in your garage.

s to charge more on top of this - mechanically robust protection for what o therwise would be an accessible power lead, and an insurance inspection to prove that putting in the wiring is not going to set up any kid of potentia lly hazardous situation. Lazy apartment owners know how to get out of inco nvenient requests.

Your $8000 estimate isn't the cost of doing the job. It was inflated to all ow the apartment owner to avoid doing the job - with enough margin built in to allow them to over-compensate themselves if the person had persisted.

oncern me is vandalism. Because they are new I would expect some percentag e of them to be damaged or the cables stolen for the copper inside. But th en I'm not an apartment type of person.

re key-operated gates on every entry point. The cars stored there are a lot more valuable than a length of copper cable.

ch they can steal for money. I know of people stealing copper for the mone tary value and I know of chargers that have been vandalized.

So?

idual who lives in the apartment. There are lots of those.

And if electric cars get to be common-place, apartment owners are going to have provide charging if they want to be able to rent their apartments to p eople who need to keep a car.

ey don't have their own wells or grow their own food.

t have power points adequate for regular power tools. Plugging a car charge r into such a power point isn't comparable with digging a well.

u.

Your "explanation" is more a a restatement of your irrational prejudice.

I'm not addressing your particular obsession? What a pity.

or the electricity so they need to be connected to the appropriate meter an d then run to an appropriate parking space.

even parking meters can now recognise regular cash cards.

n Bethesda, MD (a restaurant Mecca). It would be nice to get something for that money. But those meters don't have power.

n Canada a parking meter has a low-powered power socket for your car's radi ator warmer - and your parking charge pays for that current.

s... after they've increased the power capability ten fold or more.

Would they have laid ultra-thin cable to save money? Cheaper to put load-li mitng resistors in the parking meter, and even cheaper (these days) to put in an active current limiter that turns off the voltage if the load gets too gree dy.

at's a *lot* of money to cough up even if it makes money in the end. It wo n't happen overnight and in the mean time there aren't good places to charg e in general, other than at the fast chargers or at home if possible.

mains electricity supply and the information link to report and verify cre dit card transactions, and beefing that up to support domestic charging cur rents isn't going to make much difference to the price - which is mostly di gging the holes and filling them in afterwards.

emo-PDF

just having batteries.

Who recharges the batteries?

re you walk to a kiosk to buy a parking permit. Then you would need an ext ension cord half a block long. They would be stolen.

They might be, if they weren't chased into the ground or the walls. Parking garages have lights, and the copper leads to those lights don't get stolen - it's a known problem with a known solution which you seem to lack the wi t to have noticed.

Reply to
bill.sloman

Lol. If there's one thing USians talk a whole lot of nonsense about it's car horsepower.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My pappy said "Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod Lincoln!"

Reply to
bitrex

Now here's some quality:

and the antidote:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hey, I didn't get any check. What am I missing?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I've seen a video or two about Jay's E-25 steam car before, that's a wild piece of engineering. The drivetrain is sort of like an electric (not really) but it has huge torque across its power band and at all speeds, the crankshaft seems to be more-or-less the rear axle with the pistons mounted directly to it and feed steam into that, no transmission or torque converter or any of that.

but the award for worst _production_ car should probably go to the Trabant, yeah? The Hoffmann seems mad but not mad for a one-off :)

The Trabant engine look "made on a budget" but well-made for what it is...can't say the same about the rest of the car

Reply to
bitrex