accelerometer design

Accelerometer: Using the ADXL193 accelerometer and the MCP3002 ADC: What other parts do I need to read from the accelerometer, sample and write out the results to excel. ? Could I connect the MCP3002 to an arduino to record the results o r would it be too slow? ? Do I need an external clock? ? Can I write to an SSD card, or should I write to a computer? ? Should I work with LabVIEW?

Reply to
Micha Vardy

Given the bandwidth of the accelerometer (you didn't give any other sensitivity/bandwidth requirement), you might be able to use something like a USB data-acq device such as a LabJack, plugged into a PC.

Or maybe an Arduino - AdaFruit sells an ARM-based "featherweight" data-logger. Cheaper but a bit more work.

There are many other ways of doing it. Is this a one-off or something that you need in quantity?

You haven't said anything about what you want to do with the data.

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

I'm going to build a house. I need you to tell me how many rooms it needs, how tall the doors should be, and how sharply pitched the roof should be, but I'm not going to tell you how many people will live there, how tall they are, or how much snow we get here in the winter.

Can you answer my questions? Because I sure can't answer your questions given your nearly-nonexistent problem statement!

About all that I CAN answer is that given that the accelerometer has a

400Hz bandwidth, then _someone_ can make an Arduino go fast enough (in excess of 1kHz would be good) to make the system work right. And yes, it appears at first glance that the ADC needs an external clock (which you might be able to get from an Arduino). But I don't know if _you_ can, because you seem to be a beginner at this stuff.

SparkFun (and, I'm sure, a gazzilion other people) makes various IMU shields for the Arduino -- have you looked for something suitable there?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It is simpler to use a digital accelerometer :

If you read french my test with Rpi :

CGH

Well, the last question is easy to answer: "Not Labview! A thousand times no!" ;)

As the wise man said, "Ah, Labview: spaghetti code that even _looks_ like spaghetti."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs