A better mic?

My son plays the tenor sax.  I came home and he played me
this tune, where he recorded the bass line on his phone and
played it back over the stereo. Then played the lead live.
The bass line was 'buzzy' (clipping?) and I was thinking
he needed a better mic for his phone. (typ. 3.5 mm jack)
Any recommendations?
(I know little of sound stuff.)
An Xmas present, say ~$50. (~ = $5 to $100)

George H.

Re: A better mic?

Searching on amazon for 'phone microphone' I get a lot of choices.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=phone+microphone

(I cut down the link.)

GH

Re: A better mic?

It's unlikely the fault of the mike. More likely
the phone speaker. Can you get the audio file to
a computer with better speakers?

Clifford Heath.

Re: A better mic?

After recording the phone was plugged into the Aux jack on the
stereo, played on klipsch (sp) speakers. (for whatever it matters.)

George H.

Re: A better mic?

It could be he needs to play more with the gain levels on phone and
stereo amp.

GH

Re: A better mic?
Live instruments are loud. Most likely you need more amp power.

Buddy of mine has this problem with drums.

Re: A better mic?
Maybe it's too loud. Try recording from farther away, to avoid saturating the Mic+ADC.
maybe turn down the input vlume. will help with adc saturation but not microphone limits.
You can check on an audio software that shows the waveform(time domain). clipping
is easy to spot.

Re: A better mic?

A $1 mic should be good enough for a phone. The probnlem is almost certainly with phone settings.

NT

Re: A better mic?

https://youtu.be/m7CtnR47w20 :)

Re: A better mic?

This guy does a good video.  Very funny.

--

Rick C

Re: A better mic?

Grin, thanks Lasse.. that guy's a hoot.