Trying to identify battery pack component: PEPI U 44V+070C or 03W+070C

Hi all. I'm trying to identify a little component that came attached to a battery pack. The battery pack is from my son's speech synthesis device that he uses for home and school.

It's a small gray device labeled PEPI U on one side and 44V+070C or 03V

+070C on the other. Google search on variations of those code numbers turns up nothing. The battery packs are of UK origin. I've posted a picture at

I suspect that this might be some kind of voltage limiter or charge limiter designed to clamp down when voltage or current falls below a threshold, to prevent the batteries from being overcharged inside the device. I've installed new battery packs without the devices, but if they are indeed designed to protect the devices, I can recycle the old ones and re-use them. But I don't want to bother disassembling the new packs unless it's important.

Thanks,

Rick R.

Reply to
RickRussellTX

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:55:11 -0700 (PDT), RickRussellTX put finger to keyboard and composed:

It looks like a thermal cutout manufactured by Portage Electric Products, Inc.

See

This is the "Standard Marking System":

Your part number (03W+70C) indicates that the device was calibrated in week 03 of 2005, has factory applied leads, and is rated for 70 +/- 8 degC.

The "44V" suggests a calibration date of week 44 in 2004.

"PEPI V" would suggest the "V" series:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You have rocked my casbah, sir. But the sharif does like it!

That's good to know, I was worried that the trickle charger on these things might overcharge if the device was not on the pack.

By the way, let me put in a plug for

, who built the 4.8V 2700mah packs for me. They are built like little tanks.

Rick R.

Reply to
RickRussellTX

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:58:24 -0700 (PDT), RickRussellTX put finger to keyboard and composed:

I see 2500mAh on the cells.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

The old packs were 2500 mAh. The new packs (not pictured) are 2700 mAh.

Rick R.

Reply to
RickRussellTX