more soldering with hot air

I ment that about the hot air to go out as email to a friend. As it seems there are some here that know about the hot air I have a qusetion about it. Just starting to play with it myself after dealing with repairs and such for about the last 50 years from the tube days to the through hold devices.

As it is just a hobby for me, I bought one of the inexpensive hot air and soldering stations for about $ 65 off ebay. I know you get what you pay for,but this is just for the house and hobby and learning.

I checked the soldering iron with a T\C and it holds the heat very close to the display on the unit. I am having a hard time getting a handle on the hot air gun temperature wise. Tried several things such as just the T/C in the air stream and putting it in an alligator clip to help absorbe the heat and even it out.

Depending on how close I hold the air gun and the air flow the temperature is all over the place, but mostly from about 20 to 100 deg C over the display. Where or how far away should the air stream be for the T/C to get the temperature to come close to the indicated temperature. I noticed that on YOu tube the higher Hakko units don't even seem to have a read out,just numbers from 1 to 8 on the dial. I wish that I had some of the melt sticks like we used at work years ago to see how hot the ICs are really getting.

I am gettin good looking joints on the scrap boards I am learning on, but have not tried it out on any 'good' boards where I can check to see if I am burning up the ICs and capacitors. I did check a few of the resistors after removing and installing them a few times and the resistance does not seem to change,but it only takes a few seconds to melt the solder on them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery