why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

I have seen two LCD tellies for sale at $299, while
most other brands are $400 to $500 for their small
models. The $299 specimens had a terrible picture.
For one of the cheapies, I saw the specications,
which included contrast ratio of 700, but it
looked more like a 7:1 ratio.
Why are the cheapies so bad? Is the manufacturer
using reject components or what?

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

**  Makes and models   - please.

**  Had an " AWA" brand  LCD monitor/ TV here in my workshop a week or two
ago.

 The pic and sound were really excellent.

 Customer bought from Big W for  $ 299.

......  Phil

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Which "workshop" is that Phil?
The one at 3 / 19 Prospect Rd, Summer Hill?
Which just happens to be your bed-sit flat.  LOL

Which begs the question, why bring it to you?
Don't you fix toasters?
Besides, if the picture and sound were really excellent was it a cosmetic
repair?

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

In article <46fc70f8$0$4527$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, don't_spam_me snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au says...

The sheltered one.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Post of the Week :-)

Don Hirschberg

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

  Oh crap.  Thank you very much for that, dammit.

  I knew Phil was _somewhere_ in Australia, but was content in believing he
was somewhere in the far reaches of nowhere, where not even the stupidest wild
animals dare venture.

  That address places us as almost neighbours.

  Crap.  Now I have to move.  Perth sounds nice.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

   For you, or him?

prove it.
Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

  Sadyly, for both of us.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

   Doesn't Australia have an 'Environmental Protection Agency" ?  If you
could just have him declared as toxic waste....

prove it.
Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

On Sep 28, 1:46 pm, John Tserkezis

Unit's in #19 go up for sale all the time (I wonder why?), that could
be your opportunity to confront your deepest fears and move into the
same block!

Dave.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

   Not according to the "Society for the prevention of cruelty to
toasters". :(

prove it.
Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

ROTFLMAO  Good one Michael.  Nuttin' like a good laugh to start the weekend
off with. :-)

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

   Especially when its at some troll's expense! ;-)

prove it.
Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

one was the 'Soniq' at JB HIFI
the other was in Dick Smith, forget the model

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

It's called, "getting what you pay for".  Naturally, at the lower price, it
is impossible to have the same debt of design. There are costs in
manufacturing these sets.

Try looking at the high end name brand sets that are in the over $1200 price
range, and you will see even a greater difference!!!

--

JANA
_____

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

You get what you pay for.

Rudolf

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

I don't know what you saw.

However, the shops often mal-adjust the cheaper TV's as compared to
the expensive TV's to assist in "talking you up" to a more expensive
TV.

I've never found any TV you couldn't set up to be of acceptable
quality.

Ross

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

Even the ones with the dead pixels?
Lots of the cheap no-name small LCD TV's are knowingly supplied with
and sold as having dead pixels.

Dave.

Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

   No extra charge for the decorative black spots! ;-)

prove it.
Re: why are cheap LCD televisions so dismal?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:43:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ml1.net put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I don't know about the smaller sets, but I recently helped my father
choose a widescreen 81cm LCD TV. There were several off-brand sets,
none of which were visibly inferior, yet I opted for an LG primarily
due to fear of poor support from the cheapies. One set had poor colour
rendition (flesh tones looked too red), but the salesman was able to
adjust it fairly easily via the user menu.

- Franc Zabkar