Who Killed the Electric Car?

So a US fl oz doesn't weigh an ounce ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No, a US gallon of water is 3.785 litres, which at 2.2046 pounds per kg, comes out to 8.345 pounds. An Imperial gallon of water is exactly 10 pounds, so the ratio is 10:8.345 or 1.198:1, just about 6:5.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Lucky then that almost no-one these days uses them isn't it ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

the

You never miss an opportunity to be a nasty little bitch, do you?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

the

Are you suggesting that fl oz make any kind of sense ? Especially when there THREE different definitions.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Haha! This Wikipedia article is one of the best arguments in favour of the metric system I've come across. What a mess!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

At least the British fl oz actually weighs an ounce ! But no-one here uses them any more. Not for ages in fact.

We have kept the pint though for certain uses (different to a US pint of course) for traditional reasons. Asking for 568ml of beer doesn't quite have the same ring to it. ;~)

Gaham

Reply to
Eeyore

diesel)

all the

Most of the world seems to think so:

--
Really?  One size of Lea & Perrins  Worcestershire sauce is clearly
labeled as containing 15 fluid ounces.

most

diesel)

all the

of

They only put fl oz on those for the export market. You won't see it in the non-US market. You see ml ONLY in most of the world.

Because it doesn't have a standardised value.

A fl oz could be

28.41 ml 29.57 ml or 30 ml

Bloody stupid if you ask me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So, the volume changes, depending on what is in the container?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not UK fl oz of course.

I did just check my own bottle of L&P and to my surprise it's labelled "

150ml (5.3 fl oz) " but those are UK fl oz. There is no actual prohibition of dual marking but almost no-one does it and it wouldn't be US fl oz since they aren't legal here. Your bottle would be 15.6 fl oz here. Proof it any were needed that what you have there is an example of export labelling for the US market. It bears no resemblance in any other way either to the UK bottle which is distinguishable by its orange label e.g.

I also checked a few other items and no others had fl oz on them. They're all in ml.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

most

diesel)

all the

of

non-US market. You see ml ONLY in

--
Then those are US fluid ounces, which is what we\'re used to, so
there\'s certainly no confusion there.

--
So it\'s gone from: "But no-one here uses them any more. Not for ages
in fact."  to: "but almost no-one does it" ?

John Fields wrote:---

You'd be confused by a BRITISH bottle of L&P then !

As for your love of fl oz, well if you like living in some backwater, who am I to care. I believe Myanmar (a.k.sa. Burma) still uses 'tradional measures' too but most likely the British versions. Other than that you're on your own.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not the genuine thing then obviously ! Certainly never ever went anywhere near Worcestershire. ;~)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I didn't.

It was YOU who got your knickers in a twist when I commented that US liquid measure is all at sea.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Car?:

"Who Killed the Electric Car? It was among the fastest, most efficient production cars ever built. It ran on electricity, produced no emissions and catapulted American technology to the forefront of the automotive industry. The lucky few who drove it never wanted to give it up. So why did General Motors crush its fleet of EV1 electric vehicles in the Arizona desert?"

Who Killed the Electric Car? is a 2006 documentary film that explores the birth, limited commercialization, and subsequent death of the battery electric vehicle in the United States, specifically the General Motors EV1 of the 1990s. The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology.

It was released on DVD to the home video market on November 14, 2006 by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

During an interview with CBS News, director Chris Paine announced that he would be making a sequel called Who Saved the Electric Car? This idea was later scrapped as there were not enough topics to discuss.[1]

6880 results

10,300,000 results

"The sequel was later scrapped as there were not enough topics to discuss."

?
Reply to
gaby de wilde

What a load of nonsense.

LIES like that just make you look stupid.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore