Who Killed the Electric Car? - Page 5

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Oh, there'll be competition, has to be. But there shouldn't be a
needless one, such as umpteen shuttle services going to the airport but
none to the local industry parks around here. We can't keep on
pretending that it's ok to keep tooling around in big trucks just to go
to the grocery store. Guess what, people around here have come to their
senses about that. The number of flights leaving our local airstrip is
down to about half, when walking the dogs we see lots of trucks for
sale, lots of brand new Priuses showing up in driveways. Fact is, Toyota
has recognized the signs of the time and GM has not. They'll better get
cracking on it, and soon.

As for Vista: I was even contemplating removing the sign at the end of
the driveway because it reads "Casa de la Vista" (we have a great view
and a previous owner put it up).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

The competition I was referring to is the sort that makes drivers do stupid
maneuvers to get one or two cars ahead in traffic, or resorting to
cutthroat tactics to get advancement in the business world. There is good
competition, and as long as it is fair, it results in better products and
better people. It's OK for people to engage in sports and games to
outmuscle and outsmart each other, but when they buy extra horsepower and
bigger vehicles and use them in a deadly real-life game on the roads, it
becomes a problem. That is where cooperation is really needed.

I sure don't want Vista. XP is the first OS (since maybe MSDOS6.22) that
seems to be stable and reliable. But at least there is Linux that I would
consider if XP were no longer available. I use the automatic update
feature, and I dread the day that I get a particularly lengthy update, and
a reboot screen that reads:

"Welcome to Windows Vista! Microsoft has generously updated your old XP
system to our latest wonderful product at absolutely no charge to you!
Since you were a little short of disk space, we have removed those old
files so you will have more room for the colorful multimedia presentations
we have loaded there for your entertainment!"

Paul

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Only over my dead body.

Or you want to finish that one design that the client needs on Monday
and you realize that your CAD now only produces "An unknown error has
occurred and the application is being debugged", followed by 10 minutes
of trundling and a blue screen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:39:39 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"

[snip]
[snip]

Try as I may, when I'm scurrying to my office, I can't avoid being
cut-off by my dog ;-)

I agree.  However I prefer excess power for my own safety.  On many
occasions I've simply out-run highway predators.  I even had one
occasion where some banditos ran out into the roadway to stop me... I
simply took aim and sped up... I could see the whites of their eyes as
they fled ;-)

[snip]

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Strange. Our shepherd does the same thing with me. Every morning.

Man, what neighborhood do you live in? Even in rough-and-tumble South
Sacramento where most of the shootings are that doesn't happen a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:29:37 -0700, Joerg

[snip]

This was just east of El Paso, I10 eastbound, 3-4 Mexicanos popped out
from behind an overpass abutment, waving their arms wildly hoping I
would stop.  Seeing no wreck, fearing a hijack attempt and seeing
clear road ahead of me, I just took aim at one of them, keeping aim as
he tried to dodge me.  He barely made the edge safely.

What made this particularly amusing was I was taking Jennifer's
furniture and stuff to her first year at Baylor (26 years ago).  She
was following right behind my 280ZX in a new Nissan Sentra... with
instructions... in case of unusual circumstances, do _exactly_ as I
do... so she followed my gyrations precisely... I think the Mexicanos
were suitably frightened by the double-teaming ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

They've been cracking on it quite some time.  e.g.
http://gm-volt.com/2008/05/14/big-news-from-bob-lutz-first-chevy-volt-prototype-hits-the-road-and-gets-40-miles-electric /

In the biggest news since the initial concept announcement, GM vice-chairman Bob
Lutz confirmed  that in fact the first Chevy Volt prototype, with the full
lithium-ion battery pack has hit the test track.

He said It is reliably meeting its objectives.  Even with a rough calibration,
even with the wrong drive unit, the wrong body, etc. etc., it has been hitting
its
40 miles on electric power."

And GM Europe are working on the Opel Flextreme which will have a diesel
generator
for even higher efficiency.
http://gm-volt.com/2007/09/10/the-opel-flextreme /

http://bp0.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/RuGvkFuxsxI/AAAAAAAATg0/deDSsV_OkJE/s1600-h/Carscoop_Opel_EEF_14.jpg

That's some electric motor and generator.

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

You will live where we (the central planning bureau) want you to. You
will shop where we tell you to.

Our region (the Seattle area) is going through a fiasco called light
rail that seems to be designed to feed customers and employees into one
area (downtown Seattle). Any attempts to relocate the route, even a few
blocks, to serve another major shopping mall (Southcenter) were shot
down by the downtown gang. We certainly can't have shoppers go to the
wrong mall.

The route was carefully designed to pass through neighborhoods (poor,
low income neighborhoods) where friends of the planners had made shrewd
real estate investments. A competing plan intended to serve existing
residential areas was shot down. We can't boost the property values in
areas where the good ol' boys haven't managed to corner the market.

The earliest incarnation of the project was supposed to run from
Everett, through downtown Seattle (and be funded by Everett residents as
well). Trouble was, the downtown Seattle planners refused to extend the
line into downtown Everett. Instead, there would be a park-and-ride a
mile or so south, where people could catch the train to Seattle. God
forbid that someone might actually take it in "the wrong direction" to
work, thereby propping up the economy of the Everett business district.

Don't get me wrong. I think mas transit is a decent idea. But only if
the central planners don't try to use it as a tool to divert my money
into the pockets of their favored business partners. Rail seems to be
favored by these folks because, after sinking billions into a fixed
system, they can argue for further tax funds to rescue the investment.
If they went with buses, they could just change the routes to match
demand.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

That is a bit more than  presumptuous.

And that is near the a reasonable objective.

Typical.

Also typical.

Typical.

Maybe you could be starting to get it.

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:21:51 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"

Silly boy.  The conversion cannot happen quickly because of generation
and distribution issues.  That kind of huge infrastructure changes
require major long term capital investment.  Where is that going to
come from?

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Typical 'green' daydreaming. It's one reason I no longer support greenpeace
despite sending them a few quid every month for years. They're on the planet Zog
these days and utterly out of touch with reality.

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:21:51 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"

Non-competitive paradises like Cuba and North Korea? They certainly
aren't suffering from glutted super-highways or packed shopping-center
parking lots. And they have excellent energy conservation techniques:
the power is only on a few hours a day.

John

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says...

Wait a year; that's Obama's energy plan too.

--
Keith

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

You have to be NUTS to compare Cuba to N Korea.

Heck, I have some friends who just holidayed in Cuba and they loved it. Things
are changing there now with Fidel's fall from everyday control. Mind you they
seriously started changing many years back anyway,

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Mon, 19 May 2008 07:17:32 +0100, Eeyore

Of course they loved it. They got all the goodies the locals can only
dream of and, more important, the tourists are allowed to leave.

Oh, what do you call an institution where you get shot in the back if
you try to leave?

John

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

   Then tell us why we still see makeshift boats full of Cubans trying
to make landfall in Florida?  Another group was intercepted a few weeks
ago.  If what you say is true, they must despise having to live in
paradise.

prove it.
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Mon, 19 May 2008 03:06:49 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Worker's paradise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba#Economy

John

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

   Edison killed it by using the iron battery.

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

No-one has killed electric cars. They simply died of lack of interest,
practicality and high cost.

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:19:06 +0100, Eeyore

In 1999, GM planned to produce only 465 EV1 cars.  There was a 1000+
unofficial waiting list in case someone changed their mind or GM
decided to increase production.  When GM refused to extend the leases,
many EV-1 owners send GM lease payment checks anyway (which GM did not
deposit).  When GM discontinued the EV-1 in 2003, the unofficial
waiting list was over 2000+ names.  Lack of interest was never a
problem.

The first major problem was liability issues due to a fire started
while charging in the Gen 1 models.  Some interesting reading from
Phil Karn:
<http://www.ka9q.net/ev/
<http://www.ka9q.net/ev/ev1fire.html
Leaky electrolyte from a failed capacitor in the charging port.

GM setup the EV-1 to fail.  They were very surprised when it became
quite popular and very much in demand, despite the high price, lousy
GM support, and leasing requirements.
<http://www.cleanup-gm.com/