Who Killed the Electric Car? - Page 4

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

On many laptops holding down the power button for several seconds resets
the box. I tend to stay with older software where I can. Saves a little
in cost but the main reason is that older generally means more reliable
when it comes to software or OS. And Vista will not enter these here
premises ;-)

Well, I know what's in there anyhow since I am a PG&E customer :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

   Professionally Gouged & Extracted?

prove it.
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

In this particular instance it was dead with a capital D. Absolutely
nothing worked (not the off switch, numlock or suspend on close) and the
display was frozen in time. I wondered if there had been a hardware
failure, but it recovered after the battery went flat.

Unfortunately, I have some customers already on Vista. It isn't all that
bad, but it isn't a noticeable improvement over XP. And it is slower.

XL2007 is a complete crock of shit and best avoided though. There is a
bun fight between the Vista & XL development teams over searching
directories with wildcards (it doesn't work properly in XL2007 VBA and a
commonly used method has been withdrawn unilaterally breaking lots of
code). The suggested work around is a joke and only works on Vista.

PG&E ? Sorry don't recognise the acronym. Pacific something or other?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Greedy and Expensive.

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Personally, I wouldn't touch Vista or Office 2007 with a 10ft pole.
There is an unspoken rule in industry to store files '97 compatible. Not
everybody knows that rule but then it's not a problem to ask and if
necessary walk them through the simple steps via phone.

Pacific Gas & Electric. The usual. Large utility, given a monopoly,
meaning you pay through the nose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

I have run into "unknown" Excel errors before that were almost always
related to VB gibberish or other macros in the "Personal.xls"
workbook.  Usually, deleting this workbook solves the problem - (Excel
will re-instantiate it.)   Unless of course, you've used Personal.xls
for all your macro storage - in which case you are screwed.

You can also get "unknown" errors if your workbooks contains HTML
links, and the worksheet (possibly workbook?) is shared.  You do have
to laugh as some of Microsoft's error descriptions sometimes....
"Keyboard missing, Press F1 to continue", for example.

And now that Microsoft Sync is in Ford vehicles - god help us!
"Steering wheel missing, turn left to continue..."

Good luck.
-mpm  (Excel Expert!)  Ha!!

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

   'Fatal error in brakes.exe' Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

prove it.
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

But it ISN'T ! It's wind power that's generally popular here.

The Germans do and that's totally crazy given their latitude and consequent low
insolation. It's a huge waste of resources.

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

As solar power producer, we get about a dollar a kWh
for solar energy. As electricity customer we can
choose the amount of solar energy you wish to
purchase. This is an adjustable surcharge that allows
to pay such high prices for solar energy. And guess what,
The demand for solar energy by far surpasses the supply.

So, I'm planning to have a solar roof in addition to
the heatpump running on a well.

Rene

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

It doesn't exactly work like that. Even ratepayers who do not wish to
buy expensive solar power and those who are renters and thus cannot even
install solar panels get socked with what basically amounts to an extra
tax. They cannot simply print those Dollars they pay you.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

How can that even remotely be justified ?

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

Yeah, that's a gotcha I've been wondering about.  Seems like a
smart charger would have to monitor total household current and
toe the baseline--especially during peak use hours.  Result: no
quick charge when one might need it most.  Hence the thought about
a deep hybrid...

Should electric vehicles start to appear in significant numbers, this
and electric grid capacity issues will pop up like red flags.  The
electricity infrastructure will have to adapt, which will not be
inexpensive.

--Damon

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Smart charging won't help. Baseline is counted over one month, no matter
when you used it. Night-reduction deals are available but then the cost
of running my biz will skyrocket because that has to be during the day.
At least it used to be that you only get the deal when you accept very
high "peak time" charges. For us that never made any sense.

Yep. But more important are longterm utility deals. In Europe we were
able to negotiate a 10-year deal before deciding to invest in a heat
pump system. Still, only a handful of people in town did, some hesitated
because 10 years wasn't enough planning security.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

The EV-1 is GM's Edsel.  Except that it worked and they couldn't make
enough to satisfy demand.

Beancounters killed it.  And they took away a marketing advantage GM
could still be milking.

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
Car?:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037 /

And the result is that they now produce a lot of Silverados 1/2-tons
that nobody wants to buy. Deju vu :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry

Car?:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037 /

Not the bean counters, the "executives".

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Car?:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037 /

Probably true.

However I'm utterly amazed that so many people posting here are unaware that GM
looks to be
the future market leader with several really promising (PH)EV products being
planned and
built in both the USA and Europe.

Specifically the GM Volt and Opel Flextreme. And unlike the useless EV1 these
are proper 4
seater cars with a 400 mi range.

Graham

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

It may not exist at the moment, but the switch to electric (as well as
other more efficient vehicles) must be accompanied by an overall reduction
in our total per-capita energy consumption. Even if new electric power
plants would be built, using the same fossil fuels that now power
automobiles, they would be much more efficient and cleaner than millions of
individual cars and trucks being driven in stop-and-go traffic. But the
ultimate resolution to this problem will involve people changing their
lifestyles, using more public transportation, living closer to jobs (or
telecommuting), and generally becoming a more cooperative society living
and working closely with other people, rather than isolationism, needless
competition, and broken families.

Paul

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?

Amen! Well said.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:26:56 -0700, Joerg

Heavens, Yes!  Let's squash competition... and no more bellyaching...
Windows Vista for everyone ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |