What could break in a Magnetron?

Hi all,

I recently replaced the magnetron on a microwave.
It was a Panasonic inverter type. Some suggest it could
be the inverter or the magnetron. I decided to go buy
a new magnetron from Prime Electronics and replaced it.
It worked. The old magnetron have some grease (cooking)
on it cooling fins(??) but apart from that I couldn't
see any problems on the outside. I am just curious what
could break in a magnetron. The microwave was about 4-5
years old.

Thank you
Anthony

Re: What could break in a Magnetron?

**A magnetron is a vacuum tube. As such, it wears out. Sometimes, it can
fail.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: What could break in a Magnetron?
finger to keyboard and composed:

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Microwave Ovens

7.12) Comprehensive list of magnetron failure modes:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_micfaq5.html#MICFAQ_009

- Franc Zabkar

Re: What could break in a Magnetron?

The heater/cathode ?

Graham

Re: What could break in a Magnetron?

"The Doctor"

**  Its just gotta be possible that the magnet died.

When magnets get hot and reach their "Curie Point" temp, all magnetism is
lost - maybe permanently.

......    Phil

Re: What could break in a Magnetron?
A magnetron is basicaly a vacuum tube. As it is used, the cathold
wears down. As the cathold is emitting electrons it wears down.
Eventualy it becomes so degraded that it cannot emit any more
electrons, therefore the emission is degraded too low for proper
functioning.

On rare occasions the heater can fail. If this happens the cathold can
no longer heat up to the proper temperature for the cathold to be able
to emit electrons.

Jerry G.