Video effects chip?

I'm trying to find information about chips that enable you to put effects
over video.
I specifically want to do the mosaic effect the broadcasters do over a face
when they don't want the person to be identified.  I don't want to purchase
a complete video SEG, but would like to come up with a small black box to do
just the mosaic effect and nothing more.

Rod

Re: Video effects chip?

Is price an object?
I'd consider an industrial PC (eg PC-104 cards) to do the job.
Overkill maybe, but probably the easiest way, and you could make it a
small "black box" with video-in and video-out. You can even get smaller
solutions than PC-104
The mosaic effect needs to be at an unknown and localised point on the
screen, so you'd need some sort of user interface to control the
location and size of this.
It's a safe bet you can't get an off-the-shelf chip to do this.

Dave :)

Re: Video effects chip?

Dave,

Actually, not a bad idea, but the combination of hardware and software would
likely come up to the price of a SEG.  Worth a look though.  Thaks.

Re: Video effects chip?

Out of curiosity, how much is one of these SEG boxes?

PC-104 prices vary greatly between manufacturers, but generally aren't
too bad. A suitable video card in/out card migh cost a bit though.

How big can your "box" be? A 2nd hand Pentium III can be had for <$100
or even for free. Add a suitable video in/out card and you are in
business. The whole hardware solution needed cost more than a few
hundred $$$ I would think.
The software might be the sticking point though if your software skills
aren't up to the task, but plenty of open source/freeware stuff around
these days.

Dave :)

Re: Video effects chip?

A SEG such as the Datavideo SE-800AV is about $4.5K in Oz, but I found a
unit in the US that has some promise for $600US.
http://www.datavideo.us/products/se_800_av_main_page.htm
http://www.simaproducts.com/products/product_detail.php?product_id89 %
I think these are both too large and complex.  The box would ideally be 1
RU, maybe 2 at most.
Smaller is better.
Maybe I could take the Sima and repackage it.
If I could get a basic solution for a few hundred dollars in Oz I would be
happy.

Re: Video effects chip?

You are talking about pixelization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelization

  I don't want to purchase

You said you wanted a chip, so here is a video DSP chip:
http://www.omdi.com/A436_summary.html

You will need skills in electronics design, DSP, programming.

gtoomey

Re: Video effects chip?

Looks like an interesting chip - unfortunately I don't have those skills :(
Maybe I shouldn't have asked for a chip, rather than a black box solution -
or someone who knows how to do it.

Re: Video effects chip?

What about using video editing software on PC?

face
purchase
do

Site Timeline