usenet - Page 2

Re: usenet

Rod Speed.

--
:-P

Re: usenet
I thought we were talking about the possibility of someone actually
knowing something:-)

Daryl

Re: usenet

No doubt too busy fondling their Linux ISOs anyway...

Re: usenet

I'm not the least bit surprised. You'd struggle to find anyone at
Telstra who knows what "the internet" is.

news.bigpond.com still works, but it's *very* unreliable.

Noddy.

Re: usenet

Well it still works, but I use E-S.
settings:
server: news.bigpond.com
your email addy
your account pwd

--
127.0.0.1

Re: usenet
I tried seting it up with both IE and seamonkey

When I try to connect to server with either seamonkey or IE it pretends
to start downloading groups and just stops.
In the case of IE at least it says,The tcp/ip connection was
unexpectedly terminated by the server.

Re: usenet

Well I must admit it was the first time in years that I tried connecting
to the bigpong news server. Using pan I set it as my fallback and managed
to download up to 150,000 new headers in some subscribed news groups. I
guess they don't have a problem with retention rates when their usenet
service works...

--
A man using Apple Maps walks in to a bar, or maybe a hotel, or maybe a
church...

Re: usenet
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:06:20 +1100, F Murtz blathered:

umm.... do try and get your paws on a decent newsreader...

I mean a real one, not a pretend one:-)

--
Toby

Re: usenet
Seamonkey works and is not the cause of my immediate problem.
It is something to do with bigpond and my modem.
eternal-september works through port 119 and my modem but bigpond
terminates with port 119 and my modem.

Re: usenet

Every time I cant get access to news-server.bigpond I just deduct $20 from
my bill and send them a complaint email which gives you a logged receipt.
I spent at least an hour on the phone educating some plonker about Usenet,
she tried to access it using IE and could not understand why it was not
working. Finally she gave up and just passed me over to accounts who
tried to con me into halving my claim for credit - bit difficult for them as
they had about a dozen emails from me over a period of three months.
"No service - no pay" seems to get a bit more focus. Worst part of dealing
with Bigpond/Telstra is the time it takes on the phone, you never seem to
be able to get an answer in 5 minutes.

Re: usenet

Heh, so nothing has changed since I was on BPC I see :)

Re: usenet
Have narrowed problem down to my end,a telstra personage who had never
heard of usenet till now (has been there 7 years), installed my
particulars on their computer and it worked and he is going to ring back.
I have since resurrected (put together) another computer and bigpond
usenet won't work on it either so I have nutted out something is amiss
betwixt me, modem and broadband.
Something in the orrible Thompson contraption has gone amiss so it will
have to be reconfigured or chucked and replaced with my spare
It will not connect with port 119 (server rejects request)

Re: usenet

Sounds like the port is being blocked by your modem/router...
Can you connect to another Usenet server on port 119?
Does PigBond use ports other than 119 on their Useless server? If so,
you could try another port.

Re: usenet

Now there is a funny thing, eternal-september works on port 119 but
bigpong rejects it.I asked the expert that had never heard of usenet
whether bigpong had nother port but he said no.
When I had the bloke on the phone he got me to try to connect to port
119 from command line but it would not,it just hung.
How would my modem stop bigpong from connecting through 119 but allow
eternal sept?

Re: usenet

Another funny thing, how come none of my posts are getting through to
aus.electronics from eternal sept but they are getting through to
aus.cars from eternal-sept

Re: usenet
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 18:42:36 +1100, Je▀us blathered:

Try 80, and see what happens.
--
Toby

Re: usenet
Tried port 80 still rejected.
when bigpong tech tried it at his end using my particulars on his
machine usenet worked (port 119)
more than one different computers connected through my modem are
rejected by bigpong server.

Re: usenet

Hey All,

Got something strange going on with Bigpond Usenet access.

Works fine at work, on ADSL2+, Windows 7 through Windows live mail.

At home have had occasional loss of access over the last few months, turning
into no service at all over the last few weeks, Using ADSL2+, Windows XP &
outlook express.

Same settings on news.bigpond.com, using port 119. Neither computers have
login / password...

Did try to contact big pond via email via a tech contact that was very
helpful when our exchange had a meltdown, who understood a lot about the
older services like usenet etc, but there is no reply to my email, and I
don't even feel like wasting my time with a call to tech. assistance.

Any ideas from anyone who frequents here would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Gary.

Tried port 80 still rejected.
when bigpong tech tried it at his end using my particulars on his
machine usenet worked (port 119)
more than one different computers connected through my modem are
rejected by bigpong server.

Re: usenet
I have been having trouble for a month
No access from bigpond through port 119 but can from eternal-september
  server (with different computers)

Today a tech took controll of my computer with logmein and fiddled,
removed, and changed a few things and now it works.
But I am not convinced it was all my computer as a completely different
computer with no association would not work
When I get time I will fire other computer up and see if it now works.
It may be that they fixed something their end and kept it secret (don't
trust em)

Re: usenet
Now it does not work again.
The only thing I have done is changed bigpong password, mail works after
entering new password news does not (news does not ask for password)

Site Timeline