The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Personal computers of today as well as usage models of PCs differ radically from systems and user experience that we used back ten years ago. But what will happen with personal computers in another ten years? Let us try to guess!

Cheers Don...

============================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

from systems and user experience that we

Like hell they do.

to guess!

Reply to
Rod Speed

I agree, f*ck all really has changed in the last decade.

Reply to
Clocky

10 Years Ago So people were using Win98, WinMe, Win2000....

It's not that different from Today really Browsing the Web, still the same Ease of Browsing the Web, still the same

Emailing with attachments, still the same Ease of Use for sending Email, still the same

Internet Security, still the same

People bashing out Word Documents via keyboards, still the same. In fact, for what most people use Microshit Office for, it's exactly the same as Office 97, the only real change being where things are on Menu and what those options are now called.

Laser Printers still work on the same principle as Invented in 1969 !!! Before the PC was even Created. The only difference now is the Speed.

One Difference though, the screens are Wider now, but still LCD

Only when you go back 15+ years ago is there a real software difference, but the Hardware Principles are exactly the same.

Reply to
son of a bitch

from systems and user experience that we

another ten years? Let us try to guess!

I raised this thread as I thought it would promote some healthy discussion on the next 10 years of computing, and peoples thoughts and predictions.

But it appears to have had a negative effect. People are saying not much has taken place in the last 10 years.

Nothing much has changed? OK, they got faster, smaller, cheaper, and the new operating systems and software, do leave a lot to be desired.

However, how we use computers has changed dramatically.

you want to find anything in a hurry, you google it. You want to find a part? You need a supplier? Need a data sheet, an operating manual? I have trouble understanding how I managed before Google.

Of course you can add Twitter, blogging, facebook,..................... I'll leave you to add to the big list.

If the next 10 years of computing, is as interesting as the last, then we are in for a real blast. Buckle up and hang on!

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

from systems and user experience that we

another ten years? Let us try to guess!

the next 10 years of computing, and

taken place in the last 10 years.

software, do leave a lot to be desired.

in for a real blast.

All the above is true, but googling something is possible because of the creatrion of the World wide Web, and the existance of Web Servers. It has nothing to do with personal computers and how they have changed.

10 years ago I used a PC with a 386 in it and it had a Web browsing client much the same as my current PC does. Twitter, facebook etc are just PC applications which exist today and didnt exist 10 years ago, but the PCs in the house dont need to be differant today to those 10 years ago, they just need a Web Client.

Maybe your original question needs to be reworded to how differantly today do people use PCs than the did 10 years ago, rather than looking at the technology differances.

Computing for most people though is nothing more than sitting in front of a screen and typing stuff on a keyboard, or moving a mouse around. Thats been happening for a lot longer than 10 years.

Reply to
Mauried

That has f*ck all to do with computers and everything to do with how the internet has evolved.

For instance, you can twitter, browse and email on a Commodore 64 and even twitter on a VIC-20 despite there being 25 to nearly 30 years between a modern PC and those vintage computers and there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to do any of those things you mentioned on a PC from a decade ago.

Reply to
Clocky

Instead of AltaVista, Anzwers, and a dozen other search engines around before Google. Big deal!

Those of us on the internet for 20 years did well enough. The last REAL advance was the invention of the World Wide Web and HTML, *FAR* more than 10 years ago!! :-)

are in for a real blast.

Just more of the same it seems to me, most are just fancy versions of what was around 20 years ago. I can't see that twitter is a big improvement on Usenet IMO, just a money grab to make it sexy for the technically illiterate. And blogging is the same, simply for people who can't manage their own web page.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Don McKenzie wrote

the next 10 years of computing, and

taken place in the last 10 years.

Nope, most of us who have commented have actually said that the original claim that PCs DIFFER RADICALLY from those 10 years ago is just plain silly.

Only one person actually said that.

But nothing like DIFFER RADICALLY.

Cant agree with that either, they are pretty decent.

Yes, but thats nothing like the original silly claim.

Yes, I find it a complete pain in the arse to not have the net available when doing anything at all complicated now. Just the other weekend, when installing a new LCD TV for a technoklutz, when it would only show analog channels, with a lousy manual and even the box being very vague about just what the TV could do, a Samsung, the net was very handy to check the much better web site entry on that TV on its capabilitys.

I think twitter is a steaming turd and facebook isnt that much better.

And usenet has gotten a lot worse than it was just 10 years ago too.

Some other areas like whirlpool have got a lot better.

And if you are talking about much more than the original, particularly GPSs, net capable mobile phones etc have seen significant improvements in 10 years.

Some of the basics havent changed much at all tho, particularly keyboards and mice with the possible change to wireless both.

Thats nothing like the original tho.

There has to come a time when we dont see the same rate of progress.

I doubt we will see anything as revolutionary as google in the next 10 years.

I didnt bother to do that in the last 10 years and wont likely need to in the next 10 either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

me here wrote

Yes, really.

Doesnt mean that we saw anything as revolutionary as the net or google every 10 years.

Yes, but that doesnt mean that we see anything as revolutionary as the net or google every 10 years.

Yes, but they didnt see anything like as revolutionary as either every 10 years either.

I'm NOT saying that we wont see anything revolutionary, just that it wont happen every 10 years.

We have certainly seen some pretty revolutionary stuff in the last century, like the PC, nukes, google, the net, radio, TV, photography, but we dont see one of those every 10 years.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Really?

Like they predicted the internet arrival - NOT.

There's plenty that can happen - that the IT gurus can't even begin to imagine.

I suppose they thought the same thing in the middle ages.

Reply to
me here

An interesting documentary to chase up in bittorrent land/sphere is "Us Now". Discusses the whole online collaborative idea.

Reply to
terryc

Standards, there isn't ONE. Also very hard to get companies to agree to pay a licence fee to one particular company for the use of their device.

Forgery.

Reply to
terryc

Got a decent source of it ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Try vodo.net/usnow

Vodo.net is a source of free to share and "if you like the first part, donate to complete it" films.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

to complete it" films.

Too religious fundamentalism for my taste.

Cant see it happening with govt particularly.

Bet it doesnt even happen enough to matter with football clubs either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is a pommy movie when someone gets elected on a platform of the people making all the decisions. Great employment as hordes of postmen deliver increasing piles of printed matter to give people background to make their decision.

Same guy then stands on a platform of trust me to make all the decisions and overloaded population votes him in. Roll forward to a dictatorship

Always power cliches and people who arse sit/complain in any organsiation.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

Even the Swiss arent actually THAT stupid.

Bet that wouldnt happen either.

And that in spades. Not one of the great democracys has ever been stupid enough to go that route.

Just more terminally stupid fiction.

There have been some superficial attempts to let the 'supporters' vote on player lineups.

It clearly hasnt worked worth a damn in the real world.

And thats something quite a few actually care about.

They dont care about politics in enough numbers to matter.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is a member owned soccer club in england where the members do decide who is going to play each week.

Frankly, there would be some policies that I wouldn't care about. However, I would also be a bastard tat want to know what has happened in the past and whether any real attempt had been made to evolve it to work.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

Yeah, thats what I meant.

That club is a pimple on the bum of even just the pom football scene.

And it hasnt done anything special results wise anyway.

In fact most of the voters dont give a flying red f*ck about any policys at all.

And there is no possibility of you ever being provided with that sort of info.

There isnt even any general agreement on what caused the great depression, let alone the most recent GFC.

Reply to
Rod Speed