The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Personal computers of today as well as usage models of PCs differ radically from
systems and user experience that we
used back ten years ago. But what will happen with personal computers in another
ten years? Let us try to guess!

http://x2t.com/PCs-in-2020

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

from systems and user experience that we

Like hell they do.

to guess!

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

I agree, fuck all really has changed in the last decade.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

10 Years Ago
So people were using Win98, WinMe, Win2000....

It's not that different from Today really
Browsing the Web, still the same
Ease of Browsing the Web, still the same

Emailing with attachments, still the same
Ease of Use for sending Email, still the same

Internet Security, still the same

People bashing out Word Documents via keyboards, still the same.
In fact, for what most people use Microshit Office for, it's exactly the
same as Office 97, the only real change being where things are on Menu
and what those options are now called.

Laser Printers still work on the same principle as Invented in 1969 !!!
Before the PC was even Created. The only difference now is the Speed.

One Difference though, the screens are Wider now, but still LCD

Only when you go back 15+ years ago is there a real software difference,
but the Hardware Principles are exactly the same.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020
from systems and user experience that we
another ten years? Let us try to guess!
I raised this thread as I thought it would promote some healthy discussion on
the next 10 years of computing, and
peoples thoughts and predictions.

But it appears to have had a negative effect. People are saying not much has
taken place in the last 10 years.

Nothing much has changed?
OK, they got faster, smaller, cheaper, and the new operating systems and
software, do leave a lot to be desired.

However, how we use computers has changed dramatically.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_old_is_Google

you want to find anything in a hurry, you google it.
You want to find a part?
You need a supplier?
Need a data sheet, an operating manual?
I have trouble understanding how I managed before Google.

Of course you can add Twitter, blogging, facebook,.....................
I'll leave you to add to the big list.

If the next 10 years of computing, is as interesting as the last, then we are in
for a real blast.
Buckle up and hang on!

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

from systems and user experience that we
another ten years? Let us try to guess!
the next 10 years of computing, and
taken place in the last 10 years.
software, do leave a lot to be desired.
in for a real blast.

All the above is true, but googling something is possible because of
the creatrion of the World wide Web, and the existance of Web Servers.
It has nothing to do with personal computers and how they have
changed.
10 years ago I used a PC with a 386 in it and it had a Web browsing
client much the same as my current PC does.
Twitter, facebook etc are just PC applications which exist today and
didnt exist 10 years ago, but the PCs in the house dont need to be
differant today to those 10 years ago, they just need a Web Client.

Maybe your original question needs to be reworded to how differantly
today do people use PCs than the did 10 years ago, rather than looking
at the technology differances.

Computing for most people though is nothing more than sitting in front
of a screen and typing stuff on a keyboard, or moving a mouse around.
Thats been happening for a lot longer than 10 years.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

That has fuck all to do with computers and everything to do with how the
internet has evolved.

For instance, you can twitter, browse and email on a Commodore 64 and even
twitter on a VIC-20 despite there being 25 to nearly 30 years between a
modern PC and those vintage computers and there is no reason that you
wouldn't be able to do any of those things you mentioned on a PC from a
decade ago.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Instead of AltaVista, Anzwers, and a dozen other search engines around
before Google. Big deal!

Those of us on the internet for 20 years did well enough. The last REAL
advance was the invention of the World Wide Web and HTML, *FAR* more than 10
years ago!! :-)

are in for a real blast.

Just more of  the same it seems to me, most are just fancy versions of what
was around 20 years ago. I can't see that twitter is a big improvement on
Usenet IMO, just a money grab to make it sexy for the technically
illiterate. And blogging is the same, simply for people who can't manage
their own web page.

MrT.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

the next 10 years of computing, and

taken place in the last 10 years.

Nope, most of us who have commented have actually said that the original claim
that PCs DIFFER RADICALLY from those 10 years ago is just plain silly.

Only one person actually said that.

But nothing like DIFFER RADICALLY.

Cant agree with that either, they are pretty decent.

Yes, but thats nothing like the original silly claim.

Yes, I find it a complete pain in the arse to not have the net
available when doing anything at all complicated now. Just the
other weekend, when installing a new LCD TV for a technoklutz,
when it would only show analog channels, with a lousy manual
and even the box being very vague about just what the TV could
do, a Samsung, the net was very handy to check the much better
web site entry on that TV on its capabilitys.

I think twitter is a steaming turd and facebook isnt that much better.

And usenet has gotten a lot worse than it was just 10 years ago too.

Some other areas like whirlpool have got a lot better.

And if you are talking about much more than the original, particularly GPSs,
net capable mobile phones etc have seen significant improvements in 10 years.

Some of the basics havent changed much at all tho, particularly
keyboards and mice with the possible change to wireless both.

Thats nothing like the original tho.

There has to come a time when we dont see the same rate of progress.

I doubt we will see anything as revolutionary as google in the next 10 years.

I didnt bother to do that in the last 10 years and wont likely need to in the
next 10 either.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Really?

Like they predicted the internet arrival - NOT.

There's plenty that can happen - that the IT gurus can't even begin to
imagine.

I suppose they thought the same thing in the middle ages.

--

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Yes, really.

Doesnt mean that we saw anything as revolutionary as the net or google every 10
years.

Yes, but that doesnt mean that we see anything as revolutionary as the net or
google every 10 years.

Yes, but they didnt see anything like as revolutionary as either every 10 years
either.

I'm NOT saying that we wont see anything revolutionary, just that it wont happen
every 10 years.

We have certainly seen some pretty revolutionary stuff in the last century, like
the PC,
nukes, google, the net, radio, TV, photography, but we dont see one of those
every 10 years.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

An interesting documentary to chase up in bittorrent land/sphere is "Us
Now". Discusses the whole online collaborative idea.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Got a decent source of it ?

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Try vodo.net/usnow

Vodo.net is  a source of free to share and "if you like the first part,
donate to complete it" films.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

to complete it" films.

Too religious fundamentalism for my taste.

Cant see it happening with govt particularly.

Bet it doesnt even happen enough to matter with football clubs either.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

There is a pommy movie when someone gets elected on a platform of the
people making all the decisions. Great employment as hordes of postmen
deliver increasing piles of printed matter to give people background to
make their decision.

Same guy then stands on a platform of trust me to make all the decisions
and overloaded population votes him in. Roll forward to a dictatorship

Always power cliches and people who arse sit/complain in any organsiation.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Even the Swiss arent actually THAT stupid.

Bet that wouldnt happen either.

And that in spades. Not one of the great democracys
has ever been stupid enough to go that route.

Just more terminally stupid fiction.

There have been some superficial attempts to let the 'supporters' vote on player
lineups.

It clearly hasnt worked worth a damn in the real world.

And thats something quite a few actually care about.

They dont care about politics in enough numbers to matter.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

There is a member owned soccer club in england where the members do
decide who is going to play each week.

http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk /

Frankly, there would be some policies that I wouldn't care about.
However, I would also be a bastard tat want to know what has happened in
the past and whether any real attempt had been made to evolve it to work.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Yeah, thats what I meant.

That club is a pimple on the bum of even just the pom football scene.

And it hasnt done anything special results wise anyway.

In fact most of the voters dont give a flying red fuck about any policys at all.

And there is no possibility of you ever being provided with that sort of info.

There isnt even any general agreement on what caused
the great depression, let alone the most recent GFC.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow: Personal Computers in 2020

Umm, I thought they topped their comp one year?
There was a TV doco about it. Probably saw it in 2009.

Did you expect anything better from economists? Too many blinkers.

My 2c is that a lot of modern economies is just bread and circuses stuff
that is pleasant make work activities at best.

Site Timeline