Solar Installation

I am just getting quotes for a domestic, grid connected, solar
installation.

Being on the side of a hill, my house has a slightly unusual layout,
with a patio on the top level. I would like to position the inverter
there where it will be protected from the weather. The meter box is on
the lowest level.

The company that I have just had a quote from would put the inverter
next to the meter box where it would be exposed to sun and rain. They
claim that the system would not run at peak efficiency due to losses
if the inverter is more thatn 15m from the meter box (on the patio it
would probably be about a 25m run). They held to this story even when
I suggested that they run heavier cable (which I would be prepared to
pay for).

The bottom line is that they will only install the inverter on the
patio if I sign a waiver acknowledging that this is against their
recommendation.

Can anyone suggest why there would be any problem with this?

Dave Goldfinch

Re: Solar Installation

Sounds like a chat with another installer might be in order ??

Rheilly P

Re: Solar Installation
Mine has a 22m run , but we made the cable 75% larger

--

Re: Solar Installation
On Mon, 02 May 2011 16:06:51 +0800, Dave Goldfinch

:
[...]

I have been surprised at the lack of technical knowledge displayed by some solar
installers. They don't even know Ohm's Law...

If the inverter is designed for outdoor use weather shouldn't be a problem. If
it is designed for indoor use only, depending on the solar PV array wattage, the
current in the cable between the solar PV array and the inverter may be fairly
insignificant over 25 meters of cable. In my case I have a 1.5kW system so the
current in the cable to the inverter is less than 5A. The PV array is pumping
out in the region of 400V so work out the volt drop in 25 meters of 2,5 sqmm
twin core cable at 5A. It may be insignificant in the scheme of things. You can
always up the cable size to overcome volt drop if it is considered a problem.

Re: Solar Installation

solar

In Victoria, so called qualified installers are going around installing the new
Smart Meters that replace existing
240VAC domestic mains meters, and they don't even know English, let alone Ohm's
Law.

Cheers Don...

====================================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Solar Installation

:
:> I have been surprised at the lack of technical knowledge displayed by some
solar
:> installers. They don't even know Ohm's Law...
:
:In Victoria, so called qualified installers are going around installing the new
Smart Meters that replace existing
:240VAC domestic mains meters, and they don't even know English, let alone Ohm's
Law.
:
:Cheers Don...
:

I've found that is also the case with some installers who were born here :-)

Site Timeline