Silicon Chip magazine - Page 2

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

It was kind of you to warn Julian of some possible consequences but
Julian's response was helpful to the group and should be encouraged in
a general social sense. Did you actually lose any money as a result of
your encounter with Lynden E. Hooper and Co or were they simply used
to silence you?

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"David Segall"

**  No more " kind" than warning a blind person they are about to walk in
front of an oncoming bus.

** What response was that then ?

 The one  YOU  just snipped out of sight  ??

 How dopey of you.

**  No money was expended by me  -   can't say how much Lynden E. charged
Leo, SC and Co.

 I have not been silenced   -  you presumed far too much.

 Julian's predicament is another matter entirely.

 Watch this space.

......   Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

I am sorry if I offended you. I only wanted to say that although you
were right to warn Julien of some possible consequences of his posts I
thought his posts were valuable. And yes, I did snip one of those
posts because I did not think it was relevant to this thread about the
legal and moral aspects of the posts. In addition I guessed that, in
your case, the lawyers were used in an _attempt_ to silence critics
and that Julien should not be too concerned before he gets a letter
from the lawyers. I am glad that you were not silenced and the purpose
of my post was to encourage Julien to speak out too. I hesitated to do
that before confirming that you were not bankrupted by Hooper and Co.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"David Segall"

** What planet does this narcissistic fool living on ?????

** Who gives a rat's what a posturing idiot like YOU thinks  ??

 YOU have no idea if what Julian posted is true or fair comment or not.

**  Bollocks.

**  Only fools make guesses and then acts on them.

** The time to be concerned is well before any letters from lawyers
rrive  -  cos by then it is probably too late.

Obviously,  YOU have not the faintest damn clue what a LAWYER'S letter
complaining about defamation demands of the recipient and threatens to do to
that same person.

** YOU have no idea if what Julian posted is true or even fair comment not.

   YOU are NOT  the one at risk of being sued.

**  Huh ?????

 So anything less than total financial ruin is perfectly OK in your
estimation.

 Just so some congenital dope like YOU be amused by a pointless NG whinge.

 Unbelieveable  !!

.......  Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

LOL.  When has the threat of being sued ever worried you Phil?
I mean, what are they going to do if you lose?  Round up your collection of
toasters?

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

In the scheme of things the Oz magazines have never really paid that
well.
SC is (or was) (IIRC) $100/page, tax free if you claim it as hobby
income. EA was more complicated in how it was calculated, but was
similar overall.

That's might be a nice little side earner if you can churn out general
interest articles that don't need much work, but if you design a decent
sized project then the prototype costs alone could be more than you
might get paid for the article. That of course dosn't count your time,
and if you are used to getting say $50/hour in industry, you certainly
wouldn't do it for the money. It is a labour of love for most, with the
real benefit being the kick you get out of seeing your project
published, or possibly selling kits or bits on the side. It doesn't
hurt on the resume either.

But money aside, I agree, I've found my dealings with SC quite fruitful
and will most likely continue to contribute every now and then, and I'd
also encourage others to do so as well.

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

I have in just completed a project which I was going to offer to SC. I
have just changed my mind.

I understand it is popular mag with the hobbiest, but it is a 'has
been' mag with very poor content, and has been like this for some time
now. I fail to understand why people buy it. I rate it up there with
the 'New Idea' mags.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"The Real Andy"  wrote

I have in just completed a project which I was going to offer to SC. I
have just changed my mind.

I understand it is popular mag with the hobbiest, but it is a 'has
been' mag with very poor content, and has been like this for some time
now. I fail to understand why people buy it. I rate it up there with
the 'New Idea' mags.

****Then just why would you have entertained the idea of offering a project
to them????????????????????/

Wotta wanker!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Brian it's patently obvious you have not heard the old axion about
keeping quite and not confirming your foolishness..

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

**LOL!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Brian is in my kill filter. But for the record the reason I considered
it was because I did the project for my father, who has freinds who
want the same. The idea of a kit from jaycar was great. Furhtermore, I
had a few other things that pissed me off about the whole idea, but
thats another story.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"The Real Andy" wrote

  for the record the reason I considered
it was because I did the project for my father, who has freinds who
want the same. The idea of a kit from jaycar was great. Furhtermore, I
had a few other things that pissed me off about the whole idea, but
thats another story.

*****It just gets worse and worse,what on earth is this fellow gibbering
about??

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Something you have no experience with bwian
  ethics commitment and decency with a clue or two.

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

Because "it is a popular mag with the hobbyist" perhaps...
There are benefits to getting a project published, even if you don't
partically find the mag useful yourself, the two are not necessarily
mutually exclusive.

Dave :)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

    Like having to answer thousands of e-mails over a period of >10
years from constructors whose poor soldering stopped the kit you
designed from working, and/or didn't bother to read the kit notes,
perhaps....?

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

"Bob Parker"

** The female staffers at EA mag seemed to think that outside contributors
has some legal/moral obligation to deal personally with each and every half
witted kit constructor who wrote a some bitching, stupid letter to them.
Instead of the shonky commercial operators ( ie like DSE, Jaycar and Rod
Irving ) that sold the damn kits.

They would forward a copy of the ( usually scrawly, hand written) missive on
with a curt request to answer it  !!!

Why  ??????????

9 bloody chances out of 10,  the dickwad had already found and fixed his
dumb error before his dopey letter arrived at the offices of EA.

All they had to do was send out a standard reply letter:

" We  KNOW  the design is A-OK,  hundreds of working examples prove that
point beyond doubt.

Please re-check all your soldering and all component values and orientation.

Missed solder joints and solder bridges account for most non working PCBs.

Kindly direct all future correspondence to your kit supplier.

They are making all the money out to this   -  not  us .  "

Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh    !!!!!!

.......   Phil

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

    I see that I'm not alone. :-) The internet has made it much easier
for them to tell you that they never make mistakes and they've checked
the soldering a dozen times.
    Then there are the nit-pickers who tell you how you *should* have
designed it, plus the aggressive Americans/Canadians who think the kit
is a scam and that they've been conned, and that the only reason you
make appearances on newsgroups is to subtly promote "your product". I
could write a book!
    I absolutely agree with your final 'word'. :-)

Bob

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

SNIP

Now there's an idea for a Silicon Chip article Bob :-)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

    I wonder if they'd publish it? :-)

Re: Silicon Chip magazine

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:15:05 +1100, Bob Parker

     And if they did... would they pay? :-)

Site Timeline