Safety Recall - Page 2

Re: Safety Recall

I think it is a good idea to do the "electric jug test" on these
things.  The cable will heat up
real quick in this case, and can be easily spotted as insufficient
cross sectional area of conductor.

Re: Safety Recall

Maybe its about time some bureaucrats thought about testing some of the
stuff they allow as imports, and actually reject some, rather than just
inspect the stamps and pseudo-ratings on the import forms.  They are
quick enough to test local product, and make mfgs jump through all sorts
of hoops to get approval to make them.  But I guess they dont want to
upset the countries they import from too much.

Re: Safety Recall

"Adrian Jansen"
JW

** It is up to people who find such leads to report the matter to the
relevant state authority.

JW does not say where he got the IEC lead  -  maybe he imported it himself
( eg came packed with some item direct from China) and so he has only
himself to blame for not checking it out immediately.

A few years back, the topic was done to death on this NG and not a single
example was ever given of defective IEC leads being sold here in Australia.

....  Phil

Re: Safety Recall

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where it came from as there's dozens of power
cords all around here, but I'd bet the original source was from China as
well.

Re: Safety Recall

I have seen a few, all came with Items bought off Australian Ebay
sellers IIRC,
and 2 of them had US plugs

Try it on an electric jug, if you want some entertainment.  Might make
a good you tube video also.

Re: Safety Recall

"kreed"

I have seen a few, all came with Items bought off Australian Ebay
sellers IIRC and 2 of them had US plugs

Try it on an electric jug, if you want some entertainment.  Might make
a good you tube video also.

** Been there, done that with a dodgy IEC lead that came from in India with
a repair job.

At 11 amps, volumes of smoke poured and conductors poked out through the
plastic.

Not only was the gauge very light, but the conductors were some strange
alloy with several times the resistance of copper.

My report of the finding started am LOOOOONG debate here with Ross Herbert
taking up the cudgel ad the WA authorities getting in on the case.

...  Phil

Re: Safety Recall

I remember that from nearly 10 years back.  Coments about "Miro the
wog electrician" still brings a smile.   Ah, the good old days.......

Site Timeline