Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 17

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

That one's a keeper, Barb.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:00:20 +0000 (UTC), Roland Hutchinson

Maybe you can type that fast, but I can't.  And, I don't know
anybody who can.  Several hundred pages of 1411 listings, mostly
full.

The program is already developed, and the output is pretty good, so
far.  It's just that it is S  L  O  W.

No, I think not, as I don't have one, and I figured it out.
--
ArarghMail011 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Slow is no problem - get a scanner with a sheet feeder, fire it up,
and go to bed.  It's the preuf reeding that's the killer.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On 03 Dec 10 10:26:36 -0800, "Charlie Gibbs"

The program isn't that smart.  It uses TIF files for input.  It has
a numer of other drawbacks one of which is that it does a poor job
of deskewing the image.

Besides, scanners that can read B sized paper that have feeders
aren't all that cheap.
--
ArarghMail012 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 08:33:40 -0700

    All the line printers I saw used sprocketed paper that was either
80 or 132 columns (10 cpi) and usually 66 lines (6 lpi). A4 was usually
used in daisy wheel printers, although I do recall paper for "NLQ" dot
matrix and early inkjet printers (built like dot matrix printers with an
inkjet head instead of hammers and ribbon) that was sprocketed with "micro
perforations" such that when you (carefully) stripped the sprocket holes
and separated the sheets the result was A4 sized with smooth (ish) edges -
except where it tore while pulling the sprocket strips off.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

  It was probably the other way around. We computer geeks needed 13X
column width for our silly source code, etc., but the real/business
world was happily printing documents for their customers, and that was
US-letter/A4.

  Anyway, all the 13X column line printers I remember, could also do 80
column by just moving the right-hand sprocket.

  80 column is 8.5 inch wide US letter format. A4 is a little bit less
wide, so no problem. For US-only line/sprocket-feed printers, where the
right-hand sprocket could not be moved far enough left to accomodate
normal A4 (with tear-offs) paper, there was paper where the left or
right tear-off was a little wider, resulting in A4 width between
tear-offs.

  To those trying to remember names of printers, IIRC one popular brand
was Data Products. IIRC my (ex) employer - HP - sold rebadged Data
Products printers.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I had a Seikosha 9-pin dot-matrix printer (ca. 1990) that worked this
way.  If your fanfold was 8.5 inches wide, you would set it left; if it
was 11 inches wide, set it right.  You could set it anywhere in between
but there would be no reason to.

After a few false starts I developed the habit of rough-aligning by
hand, threading the paper onto the sprocket, then using the holes
themselves as a guide for proper alignment.

I remember one of the ads for that printer in _Computer Shopper_ showed
a sheet of aluminum with the logo printed on it, allegedly by the bare
pins of the printer in question (the idea was to show that the printer
was tough). -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /

My old Star (which I still use) works that way.  Does 132 cols too
with a compressed font.
The problem with using A4 paper is that some progams insist on
doing a FF by outputting a number of LFs to get to the bottom of the
page instead of issuing a FF, which the Star could handle correctly
for A4.  The print would soon get out of alignment with the perfs.
I gave up on A4 fanfold for that reason.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr     plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

*frown*

Ah. Not one of these;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 48th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
      I'd rather have a free press than a football tournament.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I guess Data Products was a common third-party printer that was
"re-badged" by different companies. At a PPoE, I worked in a lab
with a Harris 800 (later a Harris 1200 with ECL) that had a Data
Products line printer re-badged as a Harris. I do *not* remember
us ever having any trouble with our Data Products printer.

You *could* buy the same printer from Data Products directly for
*less* money, but then you could *not* get Harris to cover the
thing on their service agreement. So you were constrained to buy
the higher priced re-badged model.

Later, Harris started re-badging those cheap Wyse terminals. One
of the labs at my PPoE just bought *twice* as many of the cheapest
Wyse terminals directly from Wyse. (I think they were about $50
each.)  Harris would *not* cover these under their service
agreement, but if one broke... the lab just threw it away and got
another one out of storage. Cheaper to replace than pay the
service agreement for the re-badged version.

|     Charles and Francis Richmond       |
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Nor is it a choice in environments where other people are sending you
files in proprietary Microsoft formats.

There's a lot more to choice than mere availability.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

You can obviously use something that can handle those.

Using that utterly mindless line, there never is any real choice anywhere.

And that is quite obviously mindlessly silly.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

"The secret word is 'mindless'."  Thank you, Groucho.

Wow - flamed by both of his personalities in the same day.
I've made it (whatever "it" is).

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Blimey this subject has generated a lot of verbiage.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yes Roddles & verbal diarrhoea go together.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Sigh!  Proprietary meant that the formats were not published.
To translate that sentence for you, it meant that nobody
knew what the formats were and, thus, could not write code
to read those formats unless they were ble$$ed by MS.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Even the published ones require reverse engineering to implement.  Have
you looked at the scandal that is OOXML, Barb?

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
No.  I don't think I've seen OOXML word before.  Something tells me
I don't want to know after the past 6 days in that other newsgroup.

/BAH