Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I ran MultiFinder back in the day, I know a little more about it than Wikipedia does. -- Joe

--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com/

Joe Thompson wrote

anyway.

Nothing like what you said. AND you carefully deleted the crucial bit,

the operating system,

Which clearly says that initially it was NOT part of the OS.

That is completely and utterly flagrantly dishonest.

Nothing like it in fact.

Wikipedia does.

You clearly dont. And are flagrantly dishonest to boot.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well that didn't take long this time.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

No, it says it was distributed as an extension. Unless you take the extraordinarily narrow view that anything not in the System file was not part of the OS (in which case most of the functionality of a base Mac System install was not part of the OS, which is patently ridiculous), MultiFinder was as much a part of the OS (though perhaps not the OS kernel) as anything else in the System Folder. -- Joe

--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com/
"...the FDA takes a dim view of exploding pharmaceuticals..." -- Derek Lowe
Reply to
Joe Thompson

Of course proper pre-emptive multitasking first appeared for home computers in the Sinclair QL in 1984, followed shortly by the Amiga in

1985. Both of these were earlier than Windows 1.0 with it's rather poor implementation of cooperative multitasking and a long time before pre-emptive multitasking arrived for Windows in 1995.

Now just in case you're going to claim that cooperative multitasking on the desktop was an MS innovation - Apple got there nearly two years earlier with the Lisa, and DRI got there even earlier with MP/M in 1979.

Sorry Rod - multitasking on a personal computer was not even remotely close to being a Microsoft innovation. Got any other candidates ?

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote

Wasnt what was being discussed.

Nope, never ever did. I JUST said that it showed up in Win before it did with the Mac.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Already rubbed your nose in a list of them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Hi Rod,

Rod> How odd that Linux has used so much of the UI seen with Rod> Win.

Well, not Linux, but maybe Gnome or KDE. But you are free - and actually well advised - to use any one of more than a dozen different GUIs that run on Linux. I for example am using xmonad.

'Andreas

--
ceterum censeo redmondinem esse delendam.
Reply to

As far as I can see all your suggestions have been debunked, apart from vague phrases with no content. So please once more let us see an example of Microsoft innovation - here just to set the ball rolling I'll give you the only one I know of.

BASIC in a ROM as the command interface of a microcomputer was AFAICT a genuine Microsoft innovation.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

He's been practicing a lot in sci.physics over the last 6 days. Boring!

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

MS.

Which was similar to the OS on the PDP-8.

There was code before FAL which could transfer files between systems. Please note that this ability to transfer is not a network file system.

of MS.

You are ignorant.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

You should write a book. You could turn the history of personal computers on its ear with this previously unknown information.

Reply to
Peter Flass

Burroughs had a lot of great stuff earlier than most. 5500 MCP was a wonder compared to OS/360. First virtual memory system I ever worked on. It's a pity they didn't succeed. I'm looking forward to someone doing a emulator for one of their systems, now that MCP source and some of the compilers are available.

Reply to
Peter Flass

Of course IE has innovated. How do you think all the security holes got in there?

Reply to
Peter Flass

Wait for it ... no one's called anyone a Nazi, yet.

Reply to
Peter Flass

TI 99/4?

Reply to
Peter Flass

That was 1979, Altair BASIC was 1975 (but that was on paper tape) by 1977 there were a number of ROM based machines using it.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Marketing, not technical innovation was/is? their main forte.

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
Reply to

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote

Another lie, you havent debunked even a single one.

More of your lies.

Already rubbed your nose in a list of them.

Your problem.

It aint the only one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

jmfbahciv wrote

All of them for the smaller machines have similaritys.

In fact most of the 8s didnt even have an OS at all.

Any decent network has to be able to do that sort of basic stuff.

Using that mindlessly silly line, only the first network was ever an innovation.

No one ever said it was.

of MS.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Andreas Eder wrote

Mindless hair splitting. Neither runs on anything else.

Irrelevant to the FACT that quite a few of the GUIs that run on Linux use bits of the Win UI.

Reply to
Rod Speed