Qantas and WA again

The Americans did have such a facility years ago, it was a very large timber lined hole in the ground out in the desert with massive coils slung on cables above the aircraft. Mostly used for EMP simulation on bomber aircraft.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

particularly

irregular)

that's

and

would

pilot

Radio waves have trouble getting through small gaps. A rule of thumb is about a quarter of a wave length. That's why you can see into a microwave oven, the mesh on the window is too small to allow the microwaves out. It follows that shielding will work better at low frequencies than high frequencies. I'm afraid I can't see the connection between a air show and VLF radio waves.

Reply to
Davo

Why would you need a hanger to test for exposure to EMF?

Reply to
Davo

Aircraft regularly get struck by lightning but very few fall out of the sky because of it. Not a plausible argument.

Reply to
Davo

  1. How many fell out before they learnt to protect them?
  2. Was this the usenet group that posted the link of the guy being flown by helicopter to be deposited on hign tension power lines to bruh the cob webs off or something? Applying your logic, people should be electrocuted ether.
Reply to
terryc

Can you point us to another facility that does it?

Reply to
terryc

particularly

irregular)

that's

and

sceptical

would

pilot

Not that I was referring to apertures, but ...

Apertures in an EM field act as antennae, and re-radiate energy from incident fields accordingly. So as their dimension in wavelengths diminishes so does their re-radiating efficiency. The "shielding effect" of apertures relates to their size in wavelengths and this determines the extent of re-radiation vs reflection.

But the 'skin depth' is proprtional to wavelength. Longer wavelengths are less screened by thin conductive sheet. At VLF (like the 15kHz HEH used to use - don't know what they are up to nowadays) the skin depth is likely a lot greater than the actual airframe cladding thickness.

It was a reference to Airbus software and French logic. Whether the ADIRU disconnect was caused by an equipment hiccup or by the software's imaginative response to a sensor's signal remains to be determined.

Reply to
rebel

Just a shame about the ones that do though. It's happened :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

What's wrong with an open field?

Reply to
Davo

particularly

irregular)

that's

and

sceptical

would

pilot

So you're saying VLF radio energy from the base snuck through a hole in the fuselage somewhere and still had enough power to interfere with the controls, and only has done it on one or two occasions despite the fact that hundreds, if not thousands of planes, pass by that area each year?

Reply to
Davo

So are modern aircraft protected or not?

?
Reply to
Davo

So you do not know of a facility?

Reply to
terryc

What does it matter? You put a transmitter at one end of a field and the plane at the other end of the field. Slowly turn the plane around so you test all directions to the plane and that's it. What more of a facility do you need?

Reply to
Davo

If there is digital logic involved, it may only have to change 1 bit.

Correcto. The totally unknown factor is when the antenna array is actually transmitting and at what power and, maybe, in what direction. We also do not know the fault log on the installation. Some of their gear might be EOLing with undesireable effects.

Also, can you assure me that Quantas recalled all those aircraft that their fake engineer worked on and did all the work again? Or did they take a business risk on it?

The problem is that, now matter how unlikely anyone thinks it is, it will never be proven impossible.

Reply to
terryc

Over the top and underneath.

The question is "is it being done?".

Reply to
terryc

particularly

irregular)

so that's

skin and

sceptical

would

pilot

less

greater

No, it didn't sneak "through a hole". Get that hole idea out of your nut.

Yes if the electronics inside is susceptible to VLF energy, then who knows whether enough could penetrate the skin (NOT holes) to cause an undesirable result.

Thousands indeed do pass that way each year. But as others have mentioned, who knows when the Tx is actually transmitting?

And if you had bothered keeping up, you will notice where I indicated my view of this:

would

I remain of that view. You can take whatever position you like.

Reply to
rebel

of

would

Vertical array antennas have fairly predictable transmission directions, and it's not particularly hard to detect the transmissions. Also the power generators limit the transmittable power. Although kooks will try and make it seem mysterious the base isn't particularly secretive. I know someone who has climbed to the top of one of the transmission towers and even had lunch up there and filmed the surrounding area.

VK6ABC

Reply to
Davo

imaginative

who

of

I would

Yep, that is high on the list of airline activities.

Lol, so you are saying that anyone can do that? Or is that post indicative of your honesty?

Reply to
terryc

Do you know ANYTHING about antennas and wavelength?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell