Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Parramatta launches Australia?s first free 802.11ac Wi-Fi network Users can access 30 minutes a day of free Internet with speeds up to 100Mbps

Full Story at:

Councillor and ParraConnect committee member, Paul Garrard, came up with the idea to build a network that would put Parramatta on the map and offer almost the same standard of connectivity seen in cities such as New York, Seoul and Barcelona.

?This is an event that the New South Wales government said couldn?t happen three years ago,? he said at the launch today.

?Three years ago they spent a million dollars doing a feasibility study that said we couldn?t do what we?re launching today. So it?s thanks to the capacity of the ParraConnect committee which is made up of a combination of community and business people who have come together to work on this.?

==============================

With the NBN fiber cable to almost ever home, at a cost that will only be guessed at after 10+ years, I often wonder what new technologies will arrive in the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years that could make fiber optic to every home plan, look like last centuries technology.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Pemulwuy's on the map, but practically nobody knows it's there - and almost everyone has difficulty pronouncing it once it's pointed out to them. Parramatta on the other hand is the second-largest business centre in Sydney; surely it didn't need any more "putting on the map" if that was their sole aim.

Correction: "Three years ago they spent a million dollars keeping otherwise-unemployable public servants employed."

Gigabit Ethernet is already available in the CBDs of Soeul, Amsterdam and Tokyo.

So, any bets on how long this ParraConnect escapade will last, when they discover most people will simply put in MAC-changing software and use their free WiFi 24 hours a day? Or when the people themselves discover that it's under-provisioned so the real throughput is actually less than 1Mbps despite the theoretical maximum speed of the underlying medium?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Bet its actually seen as something essential to have along with universally available wifi that?s used for the higher volume stuff that the shared bandwidth wifi doesn?t do very well.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ah Don fibre is last century's tech.

Reply to
SG1

**You're kidding, right?

According to Nyquist, fibre has a maximum capacity somewhere around

150Tbs. And, unlike wireless, it is not affected by the number of users (yet). Best of all, when (if) humans can tap the maximum capacity of a single fibre (which no one has yet managed to do), then another fibre can be dropped into the hole. Presto: Bandwidth doubled.

No ugly towers, no drop-outs and obsolete-proof (for the next 100 years or so).

Wireless certainly has it's place. Fibre, much moreso.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

This will be a natural progresion of the NBN More and more WiFi hotspots becoming a norm Big problem for Mobile operators in the area as more and more switch to VOIP like Skype, MyNetPhone etc

--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Nope, it will have nothing to do with the NBN.

Yes. But that won't replace the NBN.

Nope, no problem for them. Most won't bother.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The NBN is why Parramatta was able to turn this one on

Agreed the NBN will allow more of them as you said though the more connections to WiF the slower it gets

I reckon more will catch on particularly in City areas that Mobile connections are not necessary and a dam site cheaper Skype to Skype infact free

Reply to
Petzl

Petzl wrote

Bullshit. There are plenty of places that have done that without the NBN.

I didn't say that.

Yep, there's a reason for the 30 mins per day limit.

Individual calls are free for those with capped plans.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fibre has a maximum capacity?

Japan's incumbent telecommunications carrier, NTT, is claiming a telecommunications speed record, demonstrating a fibre technology able to carry 1 Petabit-per-second - a million gigabits - over a distance of 50 kilometers, using a single fibre.

There are many Dr Google hits that refer to faster fibre methods.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

or <

According to the article the NBN is why Parramatta did it and offering "speeds up to 100Mbps"

It was some time ago but with every premises in Australia having a NBN connection the amount of available WiFi hotspots will grow

Others like train stations pubs cafes will add to them

In London there are many using WiFi VOIP in preference to Mobile Any traveler should avoid Mobile roaming and use WiFi

with WiFi it means it could get "free'er" (no plans or Internet charges) with the NBN it could get better and will get faster.

Those that do get the FULL NBN plan will find TV entertainment get better no need for TV aerial. Security Cameras become a neighborhood norm

Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/Abbotts-NBN-Plan
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

**Every medium MUST have some kind of limit. Fibre's is so damned high that we are unlikely to reach it for several decades. Wireless is, of course, limited.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

What I am saying Trevor is that you have to keep an open mind on new technology. Doesn't matter if it is cable or wireless.

Again Dr Google will find some interesting results today:

In 5 to 20 years time, the rules will change again.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

**I do have an open mind on new technology. It is sad that so many people are politically motivated to dismiss fibre, when it's true capacity is decades away from being reached. Wireless will get better, but can never reach the capacity of a single fibre. Further: Any compression schemes that can be used with wireless to increase bandwidth, can also be used with fibre. If people could remove their political thinking from the issue, most technologically savvy people will acknowledge that fibre is far superior to wireless. Less visually intrusive, no arguments about radiation issues, too.

AND, I have already stated that wireless is very useful and will become more useful in the future. It is, however, not a panacea. I live 25km from the centre of the largest city in Australia. Wireless speeds are pitifully inadequate and extremely variable. The best ADSL 2+ speeds hover around 8 Mb/s. I look forward to fibre. I won't hold my breath waiting for Telstra (or anyone else) to improve my wireless capability. I know that the NBN will eventually arrive (provided enough people don't vote for that technologically illiterate moron, Abbott).

**No question, wireless is nifty. Fibre is and always will be, superior in all respects, save portability. And, possibly, cost (though I don't have the data for this area).
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

The NBN may well do that.

Even if they do, you will still get it, because the coalition has changed their policy on the NBN and now just want to do it using FTTN instead of FTTP. And I bet they discover that that isnt feasible when they get elected.

The most important question is whether wireless will be good enough for most. It isnt currently, but its less clear how long that will be true for, particularly if most use wireless most of the times.

Its certainly much cheaper than FTTP.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It's not the first. I have a free 802.11ac network at home and you can have one too . I wonder what will happen when most home and business routers in the district have moved to the 5GHz band.

It _is_ last centuries technology which is one of the reasons it was chosen. The rest of the reasons are outlined in a paper by Professor Tucker, a member of the Expert Panel that chose it, . I was particularly impressed with the (theoretical) numbers that Professor Tucker provided - "a _single_ optical fibre can carry 10,000 times the information that can be carried on the _entire_ radio frequency spectrum".

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Naa. Demand 7G or nothing.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Now that is a very interesting read Gordon. I'll have to spend some more time to fully digest it.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If they put in FTTN, it will inevitably be replaced in the not too far different future, and will cost more in the end.

Reply to
keithr

Err well I live 60Km from Australia's third largest city and I get

21Mb/s, at my old house, 500Km from the nearest capital and 50Km from the nearest town of any size, I got 15Mb/s. ADSL+ certainly isn't limited to 8Mb/s
Reply to
keithr