Removing white thermal grease stain from T-Shirt.

Yep, I did it. My favourite T-shirt (a black one) managed to collect a fair bit of white thermal transfer compound (Unick, FWIW). I removed most with metho, but there's still a fair old stain that seems resistant to removal. Naturally, SWMBO gave me the usual "I told you to wear an apron" nonsense.

Any clues on the best method to restore 'black boy' to his original condition?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

Isopropyl alcohol might do it. Bunnings, Jaycar.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $25 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Perhaps white spirits (coles, woolies, bunnings.....)

If it doesn't take out the stain, at least it wont harm your shirt.

Soak it in Napisan or Oxywash (?)

Reply to
Gonadicus

Jaycar actually state "stain removal in the laundry"

=========================== Isopropyl Alcohol 99.8% Spray

Isopropyl alcohol is one of the most useful service aids you can have around. It has many of uses such as head cleaning, surface cleaning and prep, contact cleaning, stain removal in the laundry etc. It's also a medical-grade surface disinfectant and is ideal for cleaning your windscreen before you put your new rego label on. Easy to use pump pack spray bottle & dries quickly.

99.8% concentration 250ml bottle ===========================
--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $25 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

What rego label ? various states have discontinued them.

Easy to use pump pack

Reply to
F Murtz

Just quoting from the Jaycar web page.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $25 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Anything you put on it is likely to bleach or discolour the whole area to some degree.

Maybe try bleaching the whole she-bang white ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

according to the MSDS Unick thermal grease is a silicone grease (dimethyl polysiloxane) plus a metai-oxide particulate (zinc oxide).

deal to the grease with a hydrocarbon solvent like kerosene, and then wash the particulate (and herosene residue) out with an ordinary laundry detergent and the hottest water allowed in the laundry instructions. (or just try some non-grit hand cleaner)

zinc oxide will dissolve in weak acids like dilute hydrochloric acid, vinegar, or possibly even soda water, so that may be a way to clear up the last traces.

If you don't want to follow the instructions of a bunch of internet bozos, make it someone elses problem: have it drycleaned.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

**Noooooooooooooooo. Not black boy.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

The drycleaners? I don't trust them.

Seriously, though, the drycleaner would cost more than a new t-shirt. I'll pop down to Rivers, next time they have a sale on.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

But you said it was your favorite T-shirt? :)

Reply to
Gonadicus

**Not anymore. Black boy #2 is my favourite now.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson