OT: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

For the past week getting access to newscene has been frustrating - to
the extent that I am using the Westnet news servers to post this message
  since newscene isn't even fetching new message headers at the moment.

Is there somewhere to find out if others are having the same trouble as
I am? None of the '.usenet' newsgroups carry anything other than one or
two miserable little spams.

I did an extended ping for about 2 minutes a while ago and got a 48%
packet loss (okay it dropped back to 11% later).

Is there something going on over in the US that's affecting our
connections and how *do* you track the health of the internet? Is there
an internet news site that lists outages and blockages etc with current
reports so you can say "Oh I see, such-and-such.com is experiencing
technical difficulties?" (that would be useful).

The trouble with the internet is that if there's a bottleneck it's
difficult to trace and impossible to do anything about, worse still you
can't tell if it's transient or stable. (I'd say the bottleneck I've got
is pretty stable, after a week, and I may have to ditch my usenet
provider, even though it's probably not even their fault.)

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

"Tim Polmear"

 **  I use "individual.net " based in Germany  ( Uni of Berlin) for usenet
access.

It is not free of cost but is very reliable , compared to the likes of
"tpg", "bigpond" and "optusnet".

However,  this afternoon was  VERY  slow and annoying with several minute
long breaks where the "host" did not respond.

Maybe Malcolm Fraser  *should*  have said  " .... usenet was not meant to be
easy "   !!!!!

.........  Phil

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

Berlin) for usenet
Yes we all know and they don't care how much abuse and filth
you dish out on Usenet either do they?  So Phil why not tell
the original poster how many ISPs have pulled the plug on
you now?

TT

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

"TT"

**  =  Terrance Graham Tencer

1 Basilica Drive, Pelican Point  6230  WA

08  9725  1201

Business hours:

http://swat.com.au/pages/aboutus.php4

**  If I ever informed your ISP of the criminal activities I know YOU have
been doing with your usenet access YOU  would never be able to use the
internet again.

........  Phil

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

I also use individual.net.
Been very reliable.

If I'm some where that blocks ports etc , I use groups.google.com
as a backup.

If you isp uses pipe or one of the similar peering services
there are a few servers on those, but only keep a day or two of messages
http://www.pipenetworks.com /
http://www.waia.asn.au/waix /
http://www.vix.asn.au /
http://www.saia.asn.au/saix.php
http://www.ausix.net /

Alex

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

frustrating - to
post this message
at the moment.
same trouble as
other than one or
got a 48%
affecting our
internet? Is there
with current
experiencing
bottleneck it's
worse still you
bottleneck I've got
usenet

I'm with Westnet and have not seen any problems at all.  BTW
you can log on as a Member and see the NGs straight from
Westnet's site.  The Bottle Neck just may be at your end ;-)

Regards TT

Re: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

I would expect disruption to web access and access to
news.westnet.com.au as well if the problem was either my equipment or
the line to my house, but these services do not seem affected.
I again tried connecting today and got a timeout while retrieving 300
headers and it choked again on my attempt to retrieve a message.
I don't seem to have a problem accessing the newscene web site, and it
doesn't matter whether I try news-east.newscene.com or
news-west.newscene.com, they're both as non functional.
Ah well - I guess it's off to find a site I *can* reach.

Site Timeline