OT: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

I need a new cell 'phone, with Bluetooth capability. Are there any local
sites which offer unbiased advice about 'phones and packages? I specifically
want to know about coverage issues (I know that Telstra is better than
Optus, which is slightly better than Vodaphone, but I know nothing about 3)
and reliability issues (I heard whispers of unreliable Motorola 'phones).
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

I just bought a Sony Ericsson K700i. They're good value at the moment
because the 750 has just been released, so most network dealers will have a
package. I use Vodafone because most of the people I talk with also do, so I
get cheap rates, but I know Telstra and Optus also have them packaged. Nice
phone, Bluetooth, USB cradle / cable, VGA camera, 41M RAM.

My suspicion is that mobile carriers are actually working for NASA, anyone
who can decipher one of their contracts, let alone compare them will be
acting as interpreters when we meet extraterrestrials.

That's just my 2c, I've found that http://www.expansys.com.au/ has a wealth
of info on 'phones, its forums are good too.

Rob

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

you should have ADDED the extra newsgroup, not replaced it.

Not by much with GSM.

Vodaphone is significantly worse than Telstra
and Optarse outside the capital and major citys.

And the resellers are much better value
than the network itself most of the time.

Hard to say which would suit you tho since you dont say anything
about how you plan to use it. Makes a big difference if you mostly
receive calls or if you want to replace your landline with it etc.

By far the worst coverage of those 4, tho it roams to
Telstra. The roaming is nothing like transparent tho.

Yeah, and the user interface stuff is very ordinary too.

I prefer to stick with Nokia for the better user interface
and dont buy new, used is much better value.

I want more than a low end phone, basically because I keep my
lists in the phone when shopping, and can use the home PC from
the mobile if that is useful. Dont need a camera etc. You dont say
anything about that stuff so its hard to say what is a useful suggestion.

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

Motorola? Unreliable? The only thing unreliable is a user issue, with the
charger socket getting dirty and the charger being forced in/yanked out.

I like the Motorola interface, but used to swear by Nokia for years. It's
personal taste really.

And I'd buy new any day, as I know the history from day one, and have a full
warranty to fall back on should anything go wrong.

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

But easy to understand. They make phone calls atleast!

Here.. Here... I agree fully. The Motorola's are very well built. Even the
cheap base models. A T190 is almost indestructable!
I have always owned Moto's , right from the d120 (Half Brick), and never had
an issue, appart from metal filings in the speaker from factory work. Any
phone has that issue.

My family love Nokia's.. Don't know why. I could not handle all the problems
they have had. Screen issues and the big killer with their new ones..
Software glitches n stuff.

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

Nope, not with the more complicated stuff.

Any phone can do that. Some of us
want to do more than that conveniently.

More fool you.

Some are, some aint.

Just as true of plenty of other brands too.

Bullshit.

More fool you. And you clearly aint
qualified to say if others do things better.

Plenty of others have.

Wrong again.

Corse no motorola has ever had any problems at all eh ?

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

You don't, unfortunately, know the full history. Lithium ion polymer
batteries seem to have a terrible shelf life, and short of decoding the
manufacturer's number on it there's no way to tell when it was made. As you
say though, there's a warranty to fall back on.

Re: Cell 'phones and cell 'phone packages.

Yep.

Pig ignorant drivel.

Nope, there are quite a few areas where motorola is just plain worse.

You're always welcome to piss your money against the wall when
its a high end phone because you want the capabilitys those have.

Site Timeline