OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Just bought a F&P chest freezer to replace an older chest freezer with
thermostat stuck on flat out (I'll look at replacing the thermostat
now that I have the new freezer to put the contents in).

I have the thermostat turned up to 5 (out of a maximum of 6) on the
F&P, yet the internal thermometer hasn't dropped below zero, or maybe
*just* below zero. It's in the exact same location as the old one,
which sat at about -20C using the same thermometer (keeping in mind
the thermostat was stuck on flat out).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator#Freezer says average freezer
temps should be -23 to -18 ░C.

Personally I don't think zero degrees is good enough.
Opinions, please?

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Mine is set at -9c and I find it satisfactory. We used to use ice cream as =
a gauge. If it stayed solid but you could still insert a spoon, then that w=
ould be about right. But yes definitely below 0c

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

 Is "5" hotter or colder than "3" ?

 Zero degrees only if it's Farenheit.

 Most packaged frozen food specifies at or below -18┬░C

--
ÔÜéÔÜâ 100% natural

---

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Hmmm, 1 freezer 'stat u/s, 1 freezer 'stat OK low on gas.
What to do ??

Rheilly P

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
Rheilly Phoull Inscribed thus:

Return it as faulty !  I agree the lack of gas.  Probably a micro leak
in a pipe joint !

A few years back I bought a new freezer.  It was fine for about 6-7
months but I had to keep turning up the stat to keep it cold enough.
At 10 months the stat was full up and the compressor was running
continuously.

We complained to the manufacturer who sent an engineer out, who said it
had lost its gas, he re-gassed it.  12 months later we were in the same
situation again.  We again complained to the manufacturer who said
sorry its out of warranty.  So we said that we were going to sue them !

10 days later we issued CCP against the company.  A week after that we
had a new freezer and repayment of the CCP costs.  No other
compensation though.  The replacement freezer is absolutely fine, just
as the original one should have been.

HTH
--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Re: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Just some thoughts...

1. Dedicated freezers (chest freezers in particular) can take up to a week
to get to their optimal working state. A bit like the four-cylinder Prado
some bloke mentioned here not long ago - the tiny motor'll get the job done,
just give it time.

2. You need to have food in there; if you've got it running empty, it'll
likely never get to its proper working temperature. The more food you have
in there, the colder it'll get (strange but true!).

3. F&P don't have the world's best QA department. I bought a brand new F&P
fridge many years ago and had to get their technician out twice in the first
three weeks.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Agree with that.

We bought a F&P dishwasher and it ran for 6 weeks before it shat itself,
and it took them 2 months to do anything about it. In the mean time I'd
replaced it with a Bosch and sent the F&P back to F&P for a refund.

Noddy.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
20%
says...
I had all sorts of trouble with our F&P fridge from new, then bought anothe=
r20%
thermostat and fitted that to make a fridge that has been faultless even si=
nce,20%
like it's 17 years old now.. so from this I'd suspect you have a similar20%
problem.20%

Al
--20%
I don't take sides.20%
It's more fun to insult everyone.20%

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:07:53 +1000, Albm&ctd

All sorted out now - dodgy thermometer! My last (new) chest freezer
was a F&P, never had trouble with that and only sold it at the time
because I didnt need one foe a few years. But it's such a minefield
these days, picking between brands of whitegoods. They change things
all the time, so you never know.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

I don't think it is either.

We have a F&P vertical freezer and while I don't recall if it has an
adjustable thermostat it sits constantly on -19 degrees. Similarly, the
freezer compartment of our Westinghouse fridge does have a thermostat
and a built in temp gauge, and we have that set to -18 degrees which is
just right for ice cream.

Noddy.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

F&P is terrible.

Yes, I would expect to see even the most basic domestic chest freezer
hit -20░C (... eventually).

You've been a sold a lemon most likely. Personally I'd see this as a
good thing if you can take it back and get a refund. Find a Kelvinator /
Westinghouse / Whirlpool that's been made in Australia (just check the
nameplate - some models are made here, some overseas) and you'll get
much better performance and longevity.

--
.o( Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me. You )

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Probably not a bad idea, and you are doing your little bit for local
jobs too.

Did the same with my mums fridge/freezer some 8 years back, the
locally
made 400L approx Westinghouse we got her has run really well in that
time, very nice fridge,
no problems, no rust, no broken shelves or internal fittings.  From
memory it was
only $200 more than the crappier brands at the time, had a good energy
star rating
which has to be taken into account over the life of the unit.

The F&P that it replaced had problems with rust,  and one shelf broke
in half after about 2 years, and
when examined, the plastic shelf design was very poor in my opinion.
I wouldn't buy that brand again, if I was looking long term

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 04:36:01 -0800 (PST), kreed

My 3 y/o Electrolux fridge has the same problem with the internal
plastics - brittle as all hell. I'm NOT impressed about that.
It's of the 'upside down' type, the two front covers for the freezer
drawers both broke ages ago and many cracks in the fridge section as
well.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Ummm... Unless something's drastically changed over the past few years,
you'll find that F&P refrigeration products are made in Queensland.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

I think you will find that it was closed down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%26_Paykel

According to this, they closed their Cleveland, QLD Australia plant in
2008.

reliability products with their dishwashers are also mentioned further
down the page.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

"Oh my God, they killed Cleveland!" "You Bastards!"

So now there's literally _no_ reason to pay their extortionate prices.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

F&P have never been any good, regardless of where they were made. And
definitely not worth paying a premium for.

I wasn't actually aware that they were ever made in Australia (I thought
they were a Kiwi mob).... but regardless my comment about being "made in
Australia" was purely for the Kelvinator / Westinghouse / Whirlpool
brands that have a combination of Australian-made and overseas-made
products. The Australian-made stuff is good gear. The overseas made
stuff is not so good. Prices usually vary accordingly. It's definitely
worth paying the small premium for the locally made product.

--
.o( Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No wait, not me. You )

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:46:44 +1000, The Red Krawler

That's normally my approach - I'd rather pay a bit more for quality.
But I'm a bit limited on options due to where I live when it comes to
white goods. Fingers crossed this freezer behaves itself.

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer

Just as a matter of interest, are there any markings (there should be, on
the specification plate) indicating where it was made?

I'd be interested to know where they've relocated their refrigeration plant
to.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: OT: Acceptable temps from a chest freezer
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:12:17 +1100, "Bob Milutinovic"

G'day Bob,

Made in NZ.

Site Timeline