New REC Scheme

Press release today, for those following the solar rebate/REC thing:
http://www.climatechange.gov.au/en/minister/wong/2010/media-releases/February/mr20100226.aspx

I love the "Minister Assisting the Minister for Climate Change" title!

Dave.

Re: New REC Scheme

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:05:00 +1100, "David L. Jones"

Does this make sense to anyone.
How does the $40 per MWH for rooftop solar installs relate to to the
$6200 subsidy.
How do solar hot water heaters produce electricity, to entitle them
to the $1500 subsidy?

Re: New REC Scheme

Never, but I'll give my impressions from the press release.

 From January 2011, if you install a 1.5Kw solar panel setup, you will
get a $6,200 subsidy to install it and then for any electricty you
produce from it and feed back into the grid, you will be paid $40 per
megawatt hour.

They reduce the demand for electricty (on sunny days).

Re: New REC Scheme

For a gas fired water heater?
(most of the systems installed in Melbourne use a solar heater with
instantaneous gas booster)

MrT.

Re: New REC Scheme

I understand that natural gas is a current darling as it doesn'tptoduce
CO2, therefore assisting carbon reduction target.

Re: New REC Scheme

Every hydrocarbon containing gas, when completely burned results
in CO2 and water.

Re: New REC Scheme

Still rather irrelevant to the original claim "They reduce the demand for
electricity". They do reduce CO2 emissions during use of course. And natural
gas water heaters produce less CO2 than burning brown coal to create
electricity. And instantaneous burners are more efficient than storage
systems as well.

MrT.

Re: New REC Scheme

The whole point that these fools still don't want to seem to grasp is
that the "carbon pollution" scam is on
its last legs and its time to let it go and move on.
Maybe they need to google "climategate" unless that POS CONroy has
censored it already

That must be why I got a brochure with my last electricity bill
claiming that I can save electricity by

- using citronella burning lamps outdoors instead of mains powered
garden lighting
- cooking outdoors on a barbecue instead of using the electric stove

These might save electricity but are not necessarily cost saving
overall.

- replacing PAR 38 floodlamps in motion sensitive lights with 25w CFL

That one probably would help, but even assuming that the lamps were
happy to be used in such a fitting, the amount saved would be
negligible considering the few minutes the said lamps would be turned
on per day.

etc.

Re: New REC Scheme

Not to mention a 25W CFL hardly puts out the same light as a PAR38 flood
lamp does. Simply use one of those solar powered LED lamps instead if light
output is of NO consideration.

MrT.

Re: New REC Scheme

Most of them seem to put out less light than the equivalent wattage
straight fluro even.

I found a long time ago that a single 40w fluro under the 2nd storey
eaves lights most of the back yard very well.

It would also use about 1/3 the power of a PAR38, though in some cases
the PAR 38 may be a better choice depending on the type area you want
to light.

Site Timeline