Memory sticks......

Obvious to some I know, but not me. Any precautions to take with memory
sticks or cards when travelling through airports re passing through scanners
etc?

Thanks in advance.........

Re: Memory sticks......

I carry both SD cards and USB memory, as well as external USB hard drives, and
never taken precautions, or had a problem
with airport security in any way.

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Memory sticks......
wrapping them in foil or as I do inserting into a foil lined wallet
avoiding potential problems and possible random reads

--

Re: Memory sticks......

Note on Australia post website it states that items going to
Washington will be "irradiated" and this
will destroy electronic devices.

This might only apply to mail though.

I have taken cards and laptop some years back, they would have gone
through scanners at each airport along the way and they work fine,
still do after all those years.

AS for those naked body scanners in the US, they work similar to an X-
ray, so

Re: Memory sticks......

 From the Australia post Website....

Mail Security

The United States Postal Service has advised that, owing to heightened security,
longer delivery times are likely for
articles addressed to US government agencies. This applies in particular to
Washington DC five-digit zip codes ranging
from 202xx - 205xx.

Mail may be subject to irradiation treatment prior to delivery. The irradiation
process is safe***, but the US Postal
Service is advising mail users that particular commodities may be affected:

* Any biological sample e.g. blood samples, could be rendered useless***
* Diagnostic kits e.g. to monitor blood sugar levels, may be adversely affected
* Photographic film will be fully exposed
* Food will be adversely affected***
* Drugs and medicines could have their efficacy affected
* Eyeglasses and contact lenses could be adversely affected
* Electronic devices would probably be rendered inoperable***

The US Postal Service advises that each irradiated mail article will bear an
official notification to the addressee that
the item was subjected to an irradiation process.

========================

Strewth
well is sure says it could stuff up electronics devices.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Memory sticks......

More interesting than that is that a few years back there was talk of
irradiating our food
and look at what it says there about what irradiation does to food.

Re: Memory sticks......

all preservation methods effect the taste and nutritional value of the
food.

IIRC the mythbusters didn't like the flavour of their
irradiated corn chips.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Memory sticks......

Sounds like the mail is being "irradiated" rather than scanner/inspected.
Wonder if it will glow in the dark afterwards (that probably only happens if
Homer does the irradiating.....)

Re: Memory sticks......

More classic US reactionary policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irradiated_mail
and
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/mail_irrad.html

Oh joy:
Quote:
"Are there changes to the mail after it has been irradiated?
Yes. Irradiating mail at such high intensity creates new compounds,
which can result in a different look, feel, and even smell. The
potential health effects of these changes is unknown."

and

Quote:
"Have people complained of health problems from irradiated mail?
Some postal and federal workers have complained of skin irritation and
respiratory problems associated with exposure to irradiated mail.
However, there are no established health effects from the mail, and
investigations into a these complaints are ongoing."

Dave.

Re: Memory sticks......
Can affect eyeglasses? What are they doing, dropping them into a reactor
core?

Re: Memory sticks......

Radiation makes glass go a wonderful swirl of colours, I saw some
drinking glasses at the atomic reactor at lucas heights that they put in
the tank with the uranium and they came out very pretty.

Re: Memory sticks......

 That's what you get when you use Australia Post as an Electronics
Engineering Advisory Service.

 They barely know about post, what makes you think they can handle this?

 As it turns out, the irradiation is to kill bugs, and it won't kill
electronics.  If you wrap it in foil, they'll either crank up the dosage
to make up for it, or, dismantle it and expose it anyway.

 This has been going on for some time too.  And, shock horror hold on to
your knickers, not only to Washington State.

 As have I and many, many others.

 Backscatter xray uses xrays to *reflect* off one side of the subject
while medical xrays go *through* the subject to look at the innards.

 Backscatter is not blocked by things like clothes and such (though
their resistance is visible), but IS blocked by the skin, and other
things like pistols, rocket launchers and such.

 The dosage of backscatter is by far lower than medical use xray too.

 However, since this is ionising radiation, it does have a carcinogenic
effect.  From here, it depends on who you listen to.  Some say *any*
amount is too much, others say under the circumstances for the gain, the
exposure is negligible.
 Both sides however quite happily bid their farewells on your flight,
and both neglect to mention the radiation you're exposed to by the sun,
now that you're on a long haul flight, and have less atmosphere stopping
said radiation.

 Ahh, the irony.

 Not lost apparently on the tour guides that run to Chernobyl nowadays.
 You get your very own radiation dose tag, and are also alerted to the
fact the flight you took to get there, had probably exposed you to more
radiation than you'll get in Chernobyl.
--
One in Kate Bush is worth two in the Hand.

Re: Memory sticks......
On Jan 31, 4:20A0%pm, John Tserkezis

The fact that some of the images show the bones in the fingers,
similar to a medical x ray is a bit of a concern

agree :)  I would have said "kate's bush" though :)

Re: Memory sticks......

 "I had seen it on the Internet, so it must be true".

 That's not backscatter xray.  That's not how it works.

 It's like me showing you a photograph of a Formula 1 race vehicle, and
saying it's me driving.

 That's either Hollywood fantasy, psychotic hallucinations, paranoid
delusions or just plain crazy.  Or all of the above, you never know,
hey, I'm not judging...
--
Real men don't set for stun.

Re: Memory sticks......
On Feb 1, 5:54A0%am, John Tserkezis

that is not an answer

Re: Memory sticks......

Don't put them in your back pocket 'cause you might sit on them.

Re: Memory sticks......

 Good one. I keep them in the camera case on a tether with a card

Site Timeline