Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship? - Page 2

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

I am porting out today. No real choice. No more Kogan Mobile.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?
As another screwed over Kogan customer, who are you thinking of porting to
Don? So far the only other supplier I can find with a similar pay as you go
package is Amaysim. Don't no much about them except they are using Optus's
network.
Con

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

Amaysim works fine for me.

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:15:20 +1000, "Rod Speed"

In Sydney Amaysim work for me
SIMcards are avaiable BIG W Caltex for $2
https://www.amaysim.com.au/
Aldi though offer a 3G Telstra deal
https://www.aldimobile.com.au/prepaid/activate
Should be able to use same SIM ater contacting them
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

Ported my wife to Amaysim last Friday, and mine today in 3 minutes. Took a little longer to set up the APN parameters
and get data working, but very happy with Amaysim already. Network isn't as good as Telstra, but really doesn't worry me.

Got 10 gig data on each phone, and $15 credit on a pay as you go. See how I go with this. Easily changed anyway.
Can tether the wife's iPOD and iPAD when we travel.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

I think that I'll probably go with Amaysim too, the deal is pretty thin
though compared to what Kogan gave and it is on Optus which, in my
experience, gives a whole lot less coverage than Telstra.

I won't be hurrying, I'm going overseas next week for 5 weeks, I'll fix
it up when I get back (I've got a Trufone sim to use overseas that can
also be used locally if needed) hopefully the rush will be over by then.

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

That's why Skype is good to get working on a Smart Phone
internationally you can make cheap calls just from any WiFi source
like Macca's
Data SIMS can usually be got from most petrol stations
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?
Thanks Don,
I guess Amaysim is the answer for me as well. They say they cover most of
Adelaide but using it will confirm that.
Con

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

What I don't understand is why is there a need for ISPone, couldn't Telstra
sell their network at budget rates themselves?

I'm using http://gtmobile.com.au/ (part of http://www.lycamobile.com.au/en/
Irish phone company) who are also using Telstra network, excellent for
international calls.

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

Then ALL of their customers would want 12cpm and that would send them to the
wall.

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

Hmm, that's true, but the companies I listed below seem to have bypassed
ISPone & have an agreement to use Telstra network!?

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

  Well, the Dutch 'Telstra' - KPN - has several sub-brands which have
different and often lower rates than their parent company (and use the
same network). So even for a presumed commodity as a mobile service,
there apparently is room and 'need' for different brands/product_models.

  FWIW, the one I'm using has a rate which is quite close to (AUD)
12cpm! :-) The master company's (KPN's) rate is three times as high.
(KPN). And another sub-brand even has a 20% higher rate than the master
company.

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?
What differentiates the products to justify the price differences?

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

  AFAICT/IMO not much. Little things like yes/no flagfall, charge per
minute or per second, difference if price for SMS, etc..

  The highest-priced product is targeted at young people! Go figure!
It's name is "Hi". How funky is *that*, NOT!

  But perhaps there's other stuff I missed, which is important to some,
but not to others.

  All in all, also this is YMMV, buyer-beware, etc..

  For example my (Dutch) Vodafone service is much more expensive for
calls than my KPN-subbrand. But Vodafone's day-bundle for data is much
bigger for the same price and automatic (i.e. charged when you use it,
not charged when not) and abroad, in some 60 countries, Vodafone charges
local call rates with a 'high' flagfall: A call in Oz costs the same as
a local Dutch call, plus (about) AUD 1 for the whole call. (Actually
this was such a good deal, that they withdrew it for new use, but if
you're already on it, they'll continue to honor it, until you 'decide'
(possibly by accident) to enroll in one of their new plans.)

  So, like with anything in life, it's impossible to say "Brand/subbrand/
product X is better/cheaper/<whatever> than brand/subbrand/product Y.".

Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

But then they would lose the much higher revenue they already have.

They don?t have to pay the droids that answer the phones either.

Kogan mobile sunk.

Well it finally hit the fan yesterday for Kogan.
Telstra has closed shop on wholesale on-seller ISPone due to non payment of accounts, and consequently Telstra has had
to shut down Kogan Mobile. You can no longer log into your KM account, all you get is a text message.
https://www.koganmobile.com.au/

Reports of porting trouble also claiming that ISPone has pulled the database. Not sure if that is 100% true, but users
reporting problems. I guess with 110K+ users looking for a new home, there will be porting issues.

I managed to port to Amaysim in a total 3 or 4 minutes, just hours before the fan was solidly hit.

Kogan are offering a pro-rata refund on outstanding services not supplied.

Net Result after reading whirlpool thread:
Telstra stinks, ISPone is dead in the water, and Kogan ended up with a bad name that has hurt their brand.
At least Kogan had a try.

Read:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t21%44290&p43%
posts were coming in at the rate of every few minutes yesterday. I think today will be much of the same.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Kogan and Aldi Mobile phone services on a sinking ship?

I am with Kogan.  They have sent me messages saying they will no longer
be able to provide a service, and to make other arrangements.

David

Site Timeline