Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a four or eight channel digital video recorder
for home security, and am looking at what is around. I would like an
ethernet interface, to enable web viewing. Has anyone used one of these
Digital Video Recorders from Jaycar / Electus? If so what do you think
of them?

I have also seen some from WES.

Any comments from someone who has one would be very welcome.

David

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

Opps. Here is the link:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QV3078

David

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

Have a look at the four channel PC ones on ebay. Cheap and will work over
network.

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

Thought about getting a 4 channel PCI card instead?, like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-DVR-CCTV-4-Channel-Video-Recorder-PCI-Security-Card_W0QQitemZ220017636735QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11896QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
$36 posted
Use a 2nd hand PC for <$100 and you have a very cheap solution that you
can easily network.

Dave :)

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-DVR-CCTV-4-Channel-Video-Recorder-PCI-Security-Card_W0QQitemZ220017636735QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11896QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Maybe I'm a bit behind in market values, but would a PC of that price
have sufficient power to be able to capture and dump 4 channels? My
Duron 1.2GHz used to have problems keeping up with 640x480 capture at
25fps. At one end of the scale the HD couldn't write the raw data fast
enough, at the other end compression reduced the amount written to the
HD but it was too CPU hungry. Too close to either extreme resulted in
dropped frames, so it took a fair bit of experimenting to find a
reliable balance.

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-DVR-CCTV-4-Channel-Video-Recorder-PCI-Security-Card_W0QQitemZ220017636735QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11896QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I have not used these video capture cards, but I used an old $50 700MHz
PIII to do Firewire video capture and editing and it worked just fine.
Editing was a bit slow because of the slow video card, but I didn't get
one dropped frame on the capture. Firewire of course doesn't do any
compression on the fly, so maybe compression might be a bottle neck?

For a dedicated machine like this you would remove every driver not
necessary, that means firewalls, virus scanners and other resident
programs that hog system bandwidth.

Even if it worked for only one channel, it would still be cheaper to
buy 4 second hand machines and 4 cards! Not exactly low power
consumption when running them 24/7 though.

Worth spending the 100 bucks and trying it anyway I recon.

You can get a P4 >1GHz for $100 depending on configuration.

Dave :)

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-DVR-CCTV-4-Channel-Video-Recorder-PCI-Security-Card_W0QQitemZ220017636735QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11896QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Unless you really need constant real-time video, use motion detection to capture
frames that have motion above a certain threshold. I use gspy on a linux box
which works well. That way you don't end up with hours of footage in which
nothing happens.

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

"David"

**  Why  ??????

Expecting your next door neighbours,  relatives or friends to burgle your
house  ???

Surrounding your home with video cameras and lights is dumb paranoia and a
waste of money.

Pure geek think.

Re: Jaycar Digital Video Recorder

He might live next to a paedophile. Automatic weapons are illegal and you
cant stay home or awake forever.
That is a stupid comment Phil, as you have no idea of his circumstances.

Rob