10 channel audio recorder

Hi,

What's the cheapest way to record 10 channels of high quality audio and encode it to 10 digital files real time? I would like to basically have a device that has 10 audio inputs and a processor and then memory to store the digital audio. The exact channel count doesn't matter, but at least 8 channels would be good, also as high quality audio as possible, studio quality! :)

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

On a sunny day (Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:58:31 -0800) it happened Jamie M wrote in :

I have been doing something like that, if it is _mono_ channels, you can use a good 5.1 soundcard, gives you 5 mono channels. and I used front left, front right, rear left, rear right, and middle for each channel. The bass channel is of no use, it has a lowpass AC3. One of the PCs here has 2 soundcards for that, so I can probably record 10 mono channels (have not tried). There is Linux software to sync and add 5 wave channels into a a single 5 channel wave file (or any number actually) that I wrote on my site (multimux).

I used to make DVDs like that with multiple language translation in several audio 5.1 channels, Audio: mono

1 english mp2 front-l middle front-r rear-l rear-r 2 english spanish french italian hebrew ac3 3 english french italian hebrew german ac3 4 english italian hebrew german greek ac3 5 english hebrew german greek spanish ac3 6 english german greek spanish french ac3 7 english greek spanish french italian ac3 8 english german hebrew greek french ac3

This DVD had 8 5.1 audio channels, you can select one for the languages you want. You can then feed those in a presentation to different headsets for people from other countries. Else just add some more pci soundcards...

When adding more soundcards likely all will run on their own clock, and you may need to edit timing later. A second drift in an hour is normal. There are program in Linux to resync, IIRC I wrote that too (xste will do it).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi,

Thanks, are the 5 speaker outputs muxed on the card to ADC's to use as microphone inputs? Seems a bit strange that the speaker outputs would work as microphones, not sure about the software to detect them as independent input channels.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

I think he is talking about 5 channels of audio output, and you want multiple input channels. That is where the specialty recorders are required, or as I pointed out in the other thread, a Magma/Digidesign/Avid box.

Reply to
miso

This is close.

Or
Or
Start here and follow your nose

Reply to
Ralph Barone

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:59:59 -0800) it happened Jamie M wrote in :

Sorry, my error, you wanted inputs, msut have still been asleep. multiple input card do exists tough, most have 2 channels.

You can record 2 at the time and add the channels with multimux (that I wrote) into a n channel wav.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi,

Thanks, I came across that m-audio one yesterday, looks interesting but doesn't have the balanced inputs to the card.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

We used these for a low cost test and measurement system before.

Mark

Reply to
Mac Decman

Also, if you want something with a little more low level control. You can check out:

A little cheaper than the offerings from NI.

If you want mobile, you can look at

Mark

Reply to
Mac Decman

They only support windows and Mac. Sacrilege! The price seems very fair.

Reply to
miso

Well the system was windows/LabView based.

Mark

Reply to
Mac Decman