how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

I just picked up a MS6115 energy meter from Jaycar.

I went around the house and measured these devices - all on standby.  You
may be interested in the results.

Microwave with door closed, showing clock on display 0W
IR activated remote control curtains 0W
Toaster with 7 segment standby indicator 0W
Old dish washer with presumably no standby circuitry 0W
New washing machine 12W
New small-ish TV 12W
7 year old large TV 12W
7 year old DVD player 13W
New DSTB 13W
Around 6 year old DSE soldering iron station 7W (poor design, power switch
is on secondary winding)
Desktop PC 10W
New HP Printer 9W
4 year old HP printer 7W
Wireless router 10W
Cable modem 5W
Laptop with battery fully charged 7W
New fridge with LED panel lit up, compressor not running 0W

That's a total of 117W of 24 hour standby power. That equals 2.808 KWh per
day of power. And our average energy bill for the last quarter..... 8.8KW
average per day.......

So just under ONE THIRD of our total power usage goes towards standby power.
Isn't that crazy?

Another interesting observation is that devices such as the fridge, the
toaster and the microwave all use standby power but the MS6115 is not
sensitive enough to register it.

I have a device that turns off my two monitors and speakers when the PC is
switched off. That would add another 20W easily.

Solution? Turn stuff off at the wall. Will I do it? Probably not.

I will however route the TV, DSTB, DVD player through the amplifier's
auxiliary power output.  I will now have to turn on the amplifier when I
watch TV, but it will save a lot of standby power.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

"Phil in Melbourne"

**  Have you calibrated the meter ?

Firstly, with say a 40 watt light bulb -   should read 40 watts.

Then, with a 10uF  mains capacitor -   should read zero.

**  But you used a dodgy and uncalibrated meter.

** A $100 power bill for a quarter is very low.

   You must use gas for nearly everything.

**  Nope  - cos all that waste energy goes to heat up your house.

   Darn cold in Melbourne at the moment,  ain't it?

**  That meter is just not suitable for reading standby power -  Jaycar make
no claim that it is.

**  Nah -  that will only increase you gas heating bill.

  I suppose you house is full of CFLs too ??

......   Phil

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

If you are dealing with mA current why not just make up a little rig so you
can use a multimeter and get some accurate readings? For the high power
stuff you can just walk out to your power box and see how long it takes to
spin around.

The only thing crazy is your low bill! I would guess most people are at
least 3 times that much. Though I remember a british study that said 10th of
all home power is being used by standby, and it was enough for them to start
banning devices from having a standby mode, effecitvely eliminating 'soft
power' switches. They had some interesting circuits for TV's, because they
want the remote control to actually phsyically switch a relay to turn power
off completely. They used capacitors to store enough energy for the switch
back on, and then there were arguments that that used more power than hours
of

The best idea I saw was a power board that would switch the outlet off when
the power draw was under a certain amount for a certain amount of time, like
less than 5W for more than 1 hour. Then you had to physically switch the
outlet back on again. Saw them years ago in a british magazine and never saw
of the device again (it was like 150 pounds for a 4 outlet powerboard, which
is probably why...)

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Not while it costs you more for billing ("service charge") than for the
electricity used on those devices anyway!

And before someone jumps in, generation plant, line costs (or wire size),
transformer size, maintenance costs etc. are nearly ALL related to usage,
NOT non-usage.
Billing is about the only thing totally unrelated, yet costs a fortune IMO.
And it's not just electricity billing that's a total rip off either.
As with Bank charges, they charge whatever they can get away with, if you
have no alternative.

MrT.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

You must be an American.

Pure TRIPE. No such ban exists. Get all your info from frothing-at-the-mouth
journos do you ? There are however IEC guidelines for standy operation power
consumption and they're hoping to get it down to ONE watt IIRC in new products.

When I measured my set-top-cable-box I did however notice that it measured 17W
in active OR 'standy mode'. Now that's inexcusable (Samsung btw and supplied by
the cable co so no choice in the matter).

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

And I nearly forgot to say, no 'hard' power switch either, so unplugging is the
only way to stop the energy waste.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?
of
start
products.
17W
by

The new TV came without a line switch. Couple of bucks and five
minutes and good-by stand by.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

10th of
start
frothing-at-the-mouth
power
products.
17W
supplied by
the

The MANUFACTURER should fit one. In this day and age such power hogs are
INEXCUSABLE.

My 21" Super-res CRT SONY PC monitor only consumes 3W in standby for example. Why
should TVs be worse ?

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?
10th of
start
'soft
frothing-at-the-mouth
power
products.
measured 17W
supplied by
is the
INEXCUSABLE.
Why

Because yanks get their energy at such low prices that they are more
worried about appearances than energy saving. After all If they need
more of anything they just go somewhere and take it.

And yes, the MANUFACTURER should fit one. But it won't happen if the
consumer does not make a point of asking for it.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

10th of
to start
'soft
frothing-at-the-mouth
power
products.
measured 17W
supplied by
is the
INEXCUSABLE.
example. Why

I agree.

I also agree that Americans are to blame for most of what's wrong with the world
too.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?
10th of
start
frothing-at-the-mouth
power
products.
measured 17W
supplied by
is the
INEXCUSABLE.
example. Why
world too.

Don't blame us yanks if we can't shit....

Our asshole's in Washington.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

10th of
start
'soft
frothing-at-the-mouth
power
products.
measured 17W
supplied by
is the
INEXCUSABLE.
example. Why
world too.

You have my sympathies FWIW. OTOH they do say you get what you deserve.

IMHO the entire way countries are governed needs radical overhaul with power
being removed from
rich individuals and corporations and placed in 'trust' with highly qualified
and non-partisan
experts in their fields.

In short, being a 'party member' ought to be instant disqualification for
holding office.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Only half the population gets what they deserve (sometimes less), the rest
are simply stuck with it.
(even assuming the alternatives are any better, which they usually aren't)

MrT.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

You snipped most of what i wrote which it seems to me is pretty much to be
expected from you.

I suggest you google (or wiki) the concept of  'direct democracy'.

Bye bye, rich individuals and corporations making our lives HELL.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Which doesn't apply in America OR Australia. Can you tell me when the last
referendum on the issue was?
(hint, there's never been one because politicians love to keep power for
themselves. The day they relinquish any real power to the people, there will
be ice skating in hell)

Voting on ONE issue, only every three, four (or even 6 or 8) years is what I
call "quasi democracy".
Just gives the appearance of democracy while providing none.

No argument there.
And yet you claimed they get what they deserve. Then abuse me for simply
disputing it.

MrT.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Are you OBJECTING to that ?

I've had enough of stupid wars (and stupid Americans) to put up with it any
more.

#1 All American bases would be banned from UK (and other countries') soil.

#2 Americans would have to be energy self-sufficient !

Yeah, sure I can dream.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

 Great idea. All American bases in ALL foreign countries need to be closed
down and all American troops need to be pulled back to their bases in the
USA. When the rest of the world disintegrates into internecine warfare those
troops should be armed to the teeth with every weapon devised by man to keep
ALL those who are not American citizens OUT of the USA until all the various
territorial and racial disputes are settled. Then when the rest of the world
settles down, say in 500 - 1000 years, the then current American government
can send emissaries to those remaining places where a semblance of
civilization has stabilized and ask the ruler if Americans can be of any
assistance. If no assistance is needed then screw the Americans, leave them
in Isolation.

--

Don Thompson

Stolen from Dan:  "Just thinking, besides, I watched 2 dogs mating once,
Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Why would that happen ? All the most recent large wars have all been STARTED (or
assisted) BY AMERICANS

You're an idiot.

It's THE USA that needs to grow up.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

I'm not sure that you go further enough. I'd recommend modifying your
statement "ALL those who are not American citizens" to read 'not
Native Americans or who's ancestors arrived in the Americas after
1650". that way you will get rid of all those people with funny names
who clutter up our world.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

  That approach was tried, it was called communism, but come
to find out it became all about being a loyal "party member".
The central control of production commissars may have been
described as "highly qualified" and "experts in their fields", but
they had to be very loyal partisan supporters of the communist
party, in fact that was often the only qualification needed.

  You just know experts like yourself should decide how
"countries are governed" not the mindless populations of the
nations in question.  And it is only experts such as yourself
that can identify those who are qualified, those you can
believe are working for the best result.  In other words those
who can support your agenda and beliefs, all others must be
marginalized and certainly not allowed to decide how their
country, is governed.  We've seen your approach and it's
results.  I'll take the more messy democratic (small d) and
capitalistic approach, any day.

Luck;
    Ken

Site Timeline