how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

In that case you put a double adapter (or another power board) before the auto power board. Fixed power for those that need it, auto power off for those that need that function.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There are quite a few around, but Googling is a bit hard due to all the different names used. They are often marketed as "green" power boards, like this one:

That one even has one extra unswitched outlet, specially for Graham.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Oh, don't worry, my bark is worse than my bite.

Since there is just the ONE CATV Co. in this country and no choice of receiver exists to the best of my knowledge asive from HD based versions, what else can one do ? It's the ONLY power-hog I have.

Actually, I was considering contacting Sansung, Virgin Media (the CATV Co. but not expecting any sense from them) and various 'green' organsations to broaden the knowledge about this fraud.

Agreed then.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Just how much spaghettit is acceptable to fic this design flaw ? Heck, I only just got 6 way power blocks to cut down on the numbers needed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The trouble is that they embody extremes not seen elsewhere.

I've met and known some very decent Muslims indeed. They are often far more ethical than followers of other religions.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

As much as you need I figure. A remote control power switch or auto power board is not much extra spaghetti to fix an annoying design problem like that IMHO. You might even be able to find one power board to do the whole job.

You might even find the remote solution rather satisifying, being able to hit a remote switch and shut the stupid thing off while shouting "take THAT you bastard!" :->

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I think a nuclear BOMB on Samsung's plant would give me more satisfaction. And I'm not even the naturally violent kind of guy.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

17w 24/7 @ $5/yr = 3.36 cents per KWH.

I want your power pricing from my E company.

Reply to
Irregular

Electricity in the UK is typically around 9p (18c) per kWh.

I make that £134 / annum ! That's INSANE. Tell me I'm wrong.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

unplugging

board

things

extensions in

actually DOES SOMETHING.

Putting words in my mouth makes the weakness of your position pretty clear.

Mount the power switch on the underside of the table or whatever. If you can't work this out then you're simply too feeble to be helped.

for decades but I take exception to nit wit comments like yours making a

I don't care if you're the son of Mother Theresa and Santa Claus. The fact is that adding a switched cord to an appliance could be done by the average 8-year-old.

I gotta' say, reading Usenet is absolutely the fastest way to find someone claiming to be an electronics designer with a high IQ and advertising that adding a switched cord to an appliance is beyond his ability. If truth-in-advertising laws ever become truly effective, then you'll be required to add this thread to your resume.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

As always, the question is who decides who is "qualified" and "non-partisan".

I remember a sci-fi book I read years ago where holding office was a responsibility, not a right. One of the qualifiers for being elected was that you didn't want the position. Instead, you considered it your responsibility to govern if the society chose you to. Anyone who wanted to run was disqualified.

Reply to
Bob F

How long IS that stick up your butt? You certainly are hyper-reactive. Have you ever considered being a civil person here? Or should I just plonk you? All you seem to do here is jump on people for not thinking exactly like you.

Reply to
Bob F

No-one said it would be easy ! Thanks for your thoughts all the same.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You bet !

responce

response. please take the time to spell right.

No, they made a STUPID response involving scrabbling around under furniture to turn off a piece of equipment that should have been designed PROPERLY in the first place.

WHY are you so PRO bad design ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I am not. If you can't figure out how to add a switch that's is easily usable, maybe you need to go back to engineeering school.

If samsung choses to design products poorly, I will choose not to use them. You chose to use it - live with it. What good does it do to swear at people here?

Reply to
Bob F

It should not be the CONSUMER'S job to add a switch.

Just because ***I*** could add a switch without too much trouble doesn't make the product any better !

Why are you so mentally feeble ?

The PRODUCT should have been adequately designed so that it doesn't take an expert to reduce the standby power consumption !

STOP EXCUSING BAD DESIGN, I am here being the advocate for the average consumer who doesn't know these things, as any DECENT designer SHOULD be.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I can give some input here Graham. I have had DirecTV service before and we had 2 distinctly different types of receivers. 1 was a Philips and though it didn't have a "hard" power switch it didn't have any memory either so the guide info was downloaded on demand. The other was a Hughes and it had a 3 day memory. The Philips started up quickly when plugged in but it was painful to use as when in the guide it was extremely slow and every time you changed pages or hit the info button you had to wait several seconds for the "acquiring guide data" message to go away. The Hughes was slow to start up when plugged in but once it had the guide data downloaded I could press and hold down the arrow keys and it would scroll through all the channels faster than I could read them. There always seems to be a compromise somewhere. In our case it was low power usage but slow and painful to use or high power usage but a joy to use.

BTW I think the person complaining about the Samsung box needs to look around as I have a General Instrument (now Motorola) DCT and it behaves the same way as his. Mine goes from unplugged to watching a channel in less than a minute IIRC but the guide data seems to take forever to download and for the first few minutes there is nothing, not even the name of the current channel or a short description of the current program.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

I didn't choose it. There is no choice. It's what the catv people supply. I said that at the very beginning.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Too funny. You finally admit that it isn't difficult, but only after writing dozens of posts pretending that it is!

That seems to be a perfect example of your best debate efforts. You might try a far lower posting volume combined with a whole lot more thinking.

expert

I agree that many products need better design to lessen standby consumption. But in this case, it doesn't take an expert to cure the problem at your end. Any little kid could handle it.

Nobody in this thread has excused bad design. Your pathetic attempts to excuse your own lack of critical thinking by pounding out dozens of posts full of non-sequiturs and silly insults is embarrassing to read.

Oh please. If there's anybody depending on your brand of advocacy, somebody should roll them out of bed.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

And you chose to use it. Nobody made you. Just cancel the service and you will have your life back.

Reply to
Bob F