How can DSE put their logo on this?

The warranty card for a portable fridge I received as a present seems
to be a copy of the Engrish version supplied by the OEM.

The sheet contains sentences such as:

"Repair will be offered with charged collected in principle if the
following happens within calidity"
  and
"Malfunction or damage caused by falling down during carry"

DSE are too lazy to rewrite it? :)

Full transcription here:

http://www.gadgetguts.com/dick-smith-engrish /

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

    For everyone's edification (including mine), from
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/calidity ...

Ca`lidŽi`ty
n.    1.    Heat.

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

The sub-directory name says it all: "dick-smith-engrish"
A sub-set of Jinglish. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

Almost as good as a manual for an I/O card DSE stocked in the early 90s
that made reference to the "PISS HEAD" on PCB. I always regret not making a
photocopy of that!

DSE once sold analog watches and I remember the day the tickets came in
describing the range as "MENS ANAL WATCH". It didn't take long for the
description to be changed :)

Fun fun fun

Mike

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

"Mike Paull"

** DSE sold an electrically  heated toilet seat back in the late 70s.

 Store staff immediately dubbed it - " The Dick Warmer "   !

.......   Phil

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

Yeah and most of them were returned; slightly soiled - yukko and not
working; and made their wives bring them back; cowards!

AB

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

I just noticed that the image on the box shows the fridge containing
products which appear to be for the Australian market - Schweppes
lemonade, Sunkist, Coca Cola. If DSE went to the trouble of designing
the box, including a photo shoot, why couldn't they have rewritten the
one page warranty? LOL

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

What makes you think that those brand names are unique to Oz ?  They are all
globalbrands.

geoff

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

You're probably right. I looked more closely and saw a Golden Circle
drink box, but that seems to be a global brand these days as well. :)

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

Hate to break the news, but most of these brands are commonly available
overseas.

There isn't anything new about poorly translated documentation with
imported consumer goods, its been going on since the 1970's that I can
remember, and probably earlier.

The cost of actually rewriting the warranty and instructions probably
isn't that much, a competent person could probably rewrite the entire
thing in a short time, but the cost of printing possibly thousands of
copies, and paying someone to open 1000's of boxes, replace the
booklets, and reseal them would probably be the big killer :) Doing
this with every different consumer product in-store would be a massive
undertaking.

Most consumers probably don't give a damn either, many won't ever have
a fault with the device within its expected life-span, and therefore
won't need to make a warranty claim. Many of those who do have a fault
with the unit will simply toss it out and won't claim (will just buy
another), (this could also be the case if they are required to post it
back to the importer for warranty claim, and the postage both ways is a
significant portion of the purchase price of the item) The few
unsatisfied buyers that are left would probably bring the thing back
and complain regardless of the documentation (or lack of) :).

In my experience, on the very few occasions I have had problems with
purchases, I have found most Aussie retailers Big W, Coles, DSE etc are
quite reasonable with replacing / exchanging obviously faulty goods,
even if you have lost the docket etc. (Most will even refund without a
problem if you simply change your mind and return item in re-sale able
condition)

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

I appreciate your point of view and agree it could be a costly exercise
opening every box and replacing the instructions.
However should it be proven the instructions (due to translation errors)
were misleading and this resulted in death or injury to the user, then I
think companies importing goods / retailer selling the goods with dubious
instructions may very well rethink their obligations when they get sued.

It would not cost much to print an amended instruction book and affix it to
the outside of the packaging in one of those resealable bags (something like
those packaging notes for customs for instance).

Cheers,
Alan

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

They should take the first sample product and do some basic tests
(presumably they still do this anyway - although I have doubts). The
misleading instructions should become all too apparent. A revised
version should be written, passed back to the manufacturers for printing
& inclusion in the original box.

Much better way of doing it, but of course importers are too lazy.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: How can DSE put their logo on this?

Yes, even though they are usually able to print a new warranty card and have
it included in the box!

MrT.

Site Timeline