High tech car parks...

I went to the new Rouse Hill Town Centre (in Sydney) today and there were digital signs out the front saying how many spots are left in each entrance. Nothing new there, seen that before many times. But what I haven't seen before are secondary signs above the turn into each row of spaces saying how many spots are free in each row. Then as you turn into the row there is a LED above each car space (that you can see some distance away), RED for occupied and GREEN for available. There is an ultrasonic sensor above each space that detects if there is a car there or not.

I think the system installed here might need a few tweaks though, my row said there were 6 spots left, but there was only one available, the rest were handicap spaces.

Must have been several thousand of these things as the car park is massive. A big installation indeed.

Wonder what it does if you outstay your welcome in the 90 minute zone?

On the same topic, a car park I went to in Manly a few months back had a license plate recognition camera installed. As you approached the exit gate it automatically detected how long you stayed and if you had to pay anything or not.

Now, if they could only remind you where you parked your car, that would be a real step forward.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Blutt

Yes, I noticed several people turning into rows with ZERO spots left.

Beware firmware changes!

Imagine the Big Brother possibilities with all this technology though. Combine number plate identification systems, your credit card transaction history et.al As soon as you check out you could get an SMS saying "Why didn't you buy chocolate this week Mr Jones?", or get an SMS as you step out of the car saying "Welcome back Mr Jones, your favourite ice cream is half price at Coles for the next 30 minutes, hurry!". Or they automatically double they price of Cheeseburgers because they know Elvis has entered the building.

Pay cash, stay off the grid, and get one of those automated numberplate switches before it's too late! :->

It's supposed to be an "eco friendly" building. You have to sweat a little for the environment!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dave are you one of those people that wear a hat made from aluminum foil?

Reply to
Dorfus Dippintush

It already exists , cctv and most every pincam in public , plus the same software runs character and plate recognition , to late sunshine BB is watching .

Reply to
atec77