Help naming and finding item.

Hi group.

I would like to get my hands on something that I saw in one of BigClive's
youtube videos. You can see it here https://youtu.be/nTQRRER1MOY?t11%86
He's fitting the PCB into it to hold (small) through-hole components while
he solders them. I've searched AliExpress but didn't find any hits - maybe
I'm using the wrong search string or perhaps they don't sell them.

Help appreciated. I'm in New Zealand.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

Why not ask him ??

Re: Help naming and finding item.

It's an old video and I've noticed that he tends to not reply so much to
questions on his older stuff. If you have questions for him I find there's
about a week after when he'll answer. After that I've never got an answer.
Also his source is likely UK based and perhaps obsolete. He has quite a bit
of gear from his 'fairground controller days' which I think were quite a
while ago.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

The "top comments" that youtube shows on that video are:

Aikouka Ookami 1 month ago
just out of curiousity what type of jig is that? like if someone was
looking to get what what is it called? brand type or anything??

bigclivedotcom 1 month ago
It was made by Velleman, but I don't know if they do them any more.?

I wonder if Velleman made it or bought it from Cliff.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

So it is - thanks. It wasn't when I first downloaded it a couple of weeks
after it was uploaded and I only went to youtube to find it so I could link
it here and didn't read the comments this time. It seems Clive *does* now
reply to some questions on older videos.

Clives "I don't know if they do them any more" fits with my presumption that
he'd had it for a while. It's annoying that they're so expensive because
theres not really that much to them.
--
Shaun.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

For batch work with lots of the same board, I've found a good
alternative using 3D printing.

Export the Silkscreen overlay with the component outlines from
your board into a 3D CAD program. Then use that plan to create
a block with hollows in it just the right depth for each
component. Initially I planed to put foam at the bottom of the
hollows to make up for any spacing inaccuracies, but it didn't
turn out to be nesessary.

It's even easier to use than the frame (which was an inspiration
for it) because it can handle all the different heights of
components at once. Just insert them, put the jig on top, turn
it upside-down, trim off the leads, and solder.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Help naming and finding item.

Interesting... Perhaps they could add generating that 3D model for the
block as a feature in Kicad.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

Yes, and if you're lucky enough to be using components which they
have a model of for their 3D board previewer, you wouldn't even
have to input the component measurements.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Help naming and finding item.

This is a more accurate time in the video where he fits the backing which
holds components in place while he solders. It's this function that I'm
interested in.

https://youtu.be/nTQRRER1MOY?t14%89
--
Shaun.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

I modified a Panavice PCB holder years ago with some sheet aluminium and
some foam to operate like the one you've linked to. I found it easier to
do it without the additions.

The foam wasn't compliant enough for different height parts so I'd end
up doing say flat laid resistors first etc. Also the foam could push
parts over at an angle which for some parts meant re-soldering and
straightening them up. YMMV.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

Thanks. I saw Clive using it in another video and he basically said the same
thing - do the components in groups according to height and solder taller
stuff by hand.
--
Shaun.

Re: Help naming and finding item.

Thanks. Sweet Baby Jesus they're expensive! Likely made of platinum. :-/
Card, foam and masking tape it is then.
--
Shaun.