Converting something that runs on batteries...

I have a friend who recently had a baby. The baby always sleeps in this automatic rocking thingy that runs on 4 "D" batteries(6 volts DC). Because they use this thing at least 10 hours a day or more, they are going through batteries like crazy!

I want to do him a favor and convert it so that it runs on regular AC power from a standard wall socket. I know that basically all I have to do is buy a '6 Volt AC-DC Adapter', cut the connector end off, strip some wire insulation from each end(+ and -), and wire it into where the "D" batteries connect, making sure I match the polarity etc.

BUT, my only question is with regards to amperage draw. My local Radio Shack sells three different '6 Volt AC-DC Adapters', one is rated at 1800 mA, one is 800 mA, and the other is 300 mA. Is there someway that I can measure how many milli-amps this automatic rocker thing draws? I have a Digital Multi-Meter and ASSUME that I can somehow use it to measure the amperage draw, but am not 100% sure??

Does anyone have any help or suggestions?

THANKS!:)

Reply to
bigbossfan80

Are the batteries side by side, or in a row? You first need to find the true + and - connections, and not the contacts that just tie batteries together. Once you find that, TAPE one meter lead to the positive of one battery. When you place it in the battery tray, keep it insulated from the terminal. Place the other meter lead against the contact. This way, the current flows through the meter.

How long do the batteries last? I would think the smaller 300mA would be enough. Another option is to use two sets of rechargable batteries.

Safety could be one reason it runs on batteries. You don't want any risk of 120V near the baby. Also, once the baby falls asleep, try turning it off. Otherwise, the baby will grow up having to sleep in cheap motels with the vibrating beds!!! :-)

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I think safety is the key issue here! The wire from the wall wart could entangle the baby, or he could chew on it, etc... I never seen anything run off of other than battery for a baby!

Reply to
scada

For these rockers they would be safe to run on a 300 to 500 ma supply. The bigger supply would run cooler and be more reliable over the long term. The rocker will pull what it needs as long as the supply voltage is correct.

Personally for safety issues, I would run the rocker on batteries, and use chargeable. Get 2 sets of chargeable batteries and the proper charger to go with the batteries for this application. You can change each set, and have them the discharged ones on charge. If these are not lasting long enough, then you can have 3 sets, and rotate these as required.

Chargeable batteries should have a life span of about 800 to 1000 charge cycles, or last about 3 years average. This would be a big cost savings over the time that they would want to use the rocker.

There are some safety issues when using a device that is connected to the AC mains. If the baby urinates in a way that the rocker gets soaked, and the urine leaks down to the battery compartment, there can be an issue if there is any conduction back through to the mains, even though it is on a so-called power pack. I would not want to have to deal with this issue. Maybe this is the reason why the manufacture didn't go this route.

--
I can just see when the baby grows up. He'll like the vibrator and message
beds in the motels!

Poor kid, 10 hours a day in a rocker! Sounds like baby is adicted. I wonder what effect that will have on the way his ears develop?

If the batteries are in series (eg 6V) the conversion is trivial. To measure the current put the meter on the Amps range and connect it up in series with the battery. Or you could make a guess... D size batteries contain no more than about 6000mAH (usually less) so if they last say 10 hours the current draw is less than 1A. My guess is that the 800mA supply will be just fine but I'd get the 1800mAH unit if the price difference isn't a big deal.

Note the current draw might be a lot higher when the unit is first switched on (eg the first swing?) batteries are very good at supplying high currents - the mains adaptor might not be so good or might blow an output fuse?

Reply to
CWatters

I was agreeing with the safety issues as I read this thread...to the point that I missed the above; which in my mind as well, is the real issue. *TEN HOURS a day?* Do that poor kid a favor. Take him out and hold him for a couple of hours. Babies are delightful to hold. At my age--with my youngest at seven--I WISH I had a baby to hold. I truly miss it. Too soon they grow up to the point where you 'wish' you could hold them....

This is not an electronic issue. It's a parenting problem. NO kid needs to spend that much time strapped into an 'electronic mother' substitute.

In the event that the OP made an exageration, then rechargables are really the way to go. But, it sounds like the parents have a bigger problem than finding an inexhaustable power source for their swing...and if they think it's bad now; imagine what that kid raised with that kind of neglect will be like when he grows up.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Reply to
chuck

Reply to
chuck

Goooo smelly, Goooo spotty

Reply to
Mike

DO NOT CONVERT TO AC. These things run on batteries for a SAFETY reason.

Purchase some rechargeable batteries and a charger.

-end

Reply to
Julie

sent to

AC

etc.

the

one

the

the

would be

300 mA is probably much too low a current. My guess is that the device draws a lot more than an amp, but for a very short period of time every few seconds.

risk

Very good point. It could be lethal.

with

A real rocker!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

The

term. The

correct.

use

to go

have

enough,

Four Ni-MH 'D' cells would give only 4.8 or so volts. Hopefully that will run the rocker, but it's a full volt lowqer than the 6V from 4 Alkalines.

Nowadays, the rechargeable 'D' cells are just AA cells in a bigger package. Check it out sometome. The ratings on the common 'D' rechargeable cells are only about the same as the AA cells, or about

2200 mAH.

A fresh D alkaline is capable of delivering several amps no problem. So don't kid yourself. Buy an adapter that will not burn itself out trying to be a 'D' cell.

charge

savings over

the AC

the

there

issue.

message

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Hi...

With all due respect, that's not so... you may have found some AA's in D size cans like the old Nicad's were, but I have D sized NiMh's that are rated at

8500 mAH. And they perform like they should.

Check out e-bay, search nimh d and see what you find :) Be forewarned, they're expensive! :(

And just to touch on the original subject, I sure wouldn't want *any* nimh near any baby, or even a child. They are waaaaaaay too dangerous.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

It runs off batteries because an AC adapter big enough it expensive and would add a lot to the cost of the unit. As long as the adapter is UL approved I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Reply to
James Sweet

UL approval means *nothing* in this context. A hairdryer is UL approved, doesn't mean that I can repurpose it and hand it to a baby...

Forget the blather, go to the source (manufacturer) and ask if they offer an AC version of the appliance or a retrofit kit. If they say "NO", ask why and report back. I'll place my $$ on safety issues from the potential for fire, shock, etc., not to mention a nice cord to get wrapped around the child's neck...

Reply to
Julie

AC

etc.

reason.

an AC

fire,

OK, here's the setup:

o Remove the battery cover from the swing set o Clamp a set of jumper cables to the (+) and (-) battery springs, observing the correct polarity: Red to (+) and black to (-) o Clamp the other end to a 12-volt car battery, observing the correct polarity: Red to (+) and black to (-) o Secure the jumper cables to a leg of the swing with plastic cable ties, so the baby can't become entangled o Power up the unit and watch that baby swing!

Optional, for unlimited swing time:

o Attach a Sears automotive battery charger to the car battery, observing the correct polarity: Red to (+) and black to (-)

Optional, for a well-adjusted child:

o Keep using the regular batteries and remove the child from the swing once in a while and interact with her o Use the money you save on batteries to buy the kid some good books or music

Reply to
Karl Uppiano

I say replace the wimpy DC motor with a simple two-stroke engine like that found on most string trimmers or leaf blower units. This would run for a very long time and eliminate the power-cord entanglement concerns as well as worries about those EM pulses, stray magnetic fields, or those dangerous exploding batteries.

in

have

into

there

rocker

sure??

and

approved,

offer

and

child's

observing

so

once

Reply to
selldastuff

And that's the whole problem. The stores figure that the consumer isn't going to want to pay the higher price for the 4AH or 8AH true 'D' rechargeable cells, so they don't sell them. They stock the AA cells in a D case which are a lot cheaper. And you can tell because the package is a lot lighter than a true D cell.

I was watching the news on TV a few days ago and they showed a gilr's pants pocket where she had been carrying a cell phone. The cell phone's battery exploded and blew a hole in her pants pocket and burned her. I think it was a Verizon phone. Check this out.

.html?tag=st.rc.targ_mb More of the same

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

sleeps in

volts

more,

regular

I have

off,

into

polarity

local

is

there

rocker

can

sure??

SAFETY

expensive and

UL

approved,

offer

why and

for

child's

observing

ties, so

Orginally it held four D cells, or 6VDC. Putting a 12V battery on it as you suggest will probably cause some damage and possibly a fire, not to mention a real swinging baby!

Thanks for the really 'good' suggestion. Duh.

observing

once

or

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

that

for a

well as

dangerous

Kid'll probably go deaf bnecause of the noise. Not to mention never sleep.

A long time ago I knew a guy who had a trailer that needed a portable

120VAC source, so he bought a Honda generator. This was real cute, it put out all of 40 watts and fit in the palm of your hand. Really. I've never seen one like it since. Just a little engine, like "Honey, I shrunk the lawnmower engine!"

sleeps

volts

more,

regular