from soundcard to speakers

not sure if this is the right group but

I want to hook up speakers in one room and source the sound
(mp3/whatever) from a computer in another room. I also want to be able
to control the volume from the room that the speakers are in.

eg soundcard -> volume control -> speakers

I think that this fader will do the job for the remote vol cntl
http://tinyurl.com/5lhyr ??

My question is how do I connect the speaker wires to the souncard socket
ie there are 4 individual speaker wires...what goes where on the plug?

Thanks (again)

Re: from soundcard to speakers

Tip            Left channel wire
Ring           Right channel wire
Barrel/shell   Common (both common wires)

Look at pic: http://www.pulsar.org/2k/technology/stereoplug.html

Re: from soundcard to speakers

perfect!!

many thanks :)

Re: from soundcard to speakers

All this assumes that the computer has a built in amplifier that directly
powers the speakers, and that the speakers do NOT have built in amplifiers.
Is this the case?

Rod

Re: from soundcard to speakers

oh...maybe life wasn't meant to be easy :(

These are the speakers http://tinyurl.com/6yx8o I'm guessing that they
are not amplified.

I'm sorry I don't know whether the computer has a built in amplifier.
I'm guessing they usually do not, otherwise I think you would have
phrased your question differently.

Assuming not, will I have to connect my soundcard to an amp and then to
the speakers?

This could turn out bigger than Ben Hur, lol.

Re: from soundcard to speakers

Yep - bigger than Ben Hur, but not so bloody ...
I assume you are gong to put the speakers in a box?

Most sound cards will only drive a set of headphones, so if you want decent
sound you need an amplifier.  If you go that way then you run line level
from the sound card to the amplifier, then use the amplifier volume to
control the sound level.  There are other issues you will possibly run into,
such as earth loops when systems are powered from two different power
points - but that is food for another thread.

Another option is a set of powered computer speakers.  You then just need an
extension lead from the sound card to the speakers.

Rod

Re: from soundcard to speakers

many thanks for your time Rod.

As luck would have it I've already installed the speakers into the
ceiling. The sound quality is not so important (it's in a treatment
room...more to take the edge of the screams), low volume, background music.

It's no prob to buy an amplifier. For some reason I thought that I could
just hook speakers up to a sound card. I will probably not give up my
day job, lol.

I've had a look on the net for more info and it looks a simple
propostion to incorporate an amp into the equation, just as you describe.

I'll be back if it's not as simple in practice.

Thanks again.

Site Timeline