Flat Screen Demos

a friend is in the market for a 42 inch LED / LCD TV  -   however, he is
very annoyed that all the stores all seem to use Blue Ray players and
animation to demo the screens.  It sure sucks all the toddlers in.

" I wanna see how it looks on standard, digital TV "  he says.

Be easy for stores to do just that, of course, but they don't.

The high variability of broadcast SD and HD picture quality is one reason -
especially true of programs broadcast during daylight hours. Sad fact is,
big screens make crummy pictures look WORSE !

The best pic quality in Sydney is from recent movies shown on HD channels
and some digitally produced programs broadcast in SD are pretty close.

Maybe stores could record a few of these and use them for demos - or is
there a copyright issue ??

Do they pay for the right to use all that animated stuff  ?

DVDs all warn you against public showings and commercial use.

....  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

**Some do. I asked the guy at Good guys to demo the little tellie I
wanted for the kitchen with FTA stuff. He grumped a lot, but finally did
it for me. The picture was crap, so I didn't buy it.

**Locally produced HD sports transmissions are very, very good indeed.

**Very likely, yes. I regularly recieve mail from the copyright people
demanding money for music I demo with. I no longer use my own music. I
insist that people bring their own.

**Probly.

**Those copyright people are downright sneaky. For many years, I used be
called up by someone I didn't know, asking me if I would dub
LP/CD/Beta/VHS/DVD to whatever. My answer was always the same: "Sure.
Bring the material around and I will dub it for you. BTW: Make certain
you accompany the material with proof that you own the copyright." Never
seen anyone actually turn up.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Flat Screen Demos

"Trevor Wilson"

** QED.

**  What channel are they on  ?

**  You mean the "perfroming rights " people  or "  APRA " ?

** Thought so.

**  No " Reds under the Beds "where TW  lives ....

BTW:

What ever happened to Peter Stein and that weird box stuffer guy from
Adelaide ?

....  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

**It varies. Channel One sometimes broadcasts local stuff. There's lots
of foreign stuff on there.

**APRA, I think. I just bin their letters now.

**Peter resides, with his partner, an accupunturist, in Kuranda (near
Cairns) and supports all the products he has ever manufactured. He rides
his bicycle many km each day and is an extremely fit 60 year old. In
fact, I received a box of spares last Friday from him. "weird box
stuffer guy"? Dunno what you're talking about. Refresh my memory. VAF? Krix?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Flat Screen Demos

"Trevor Wilson"

 ** I meant that the "performing rights people"   = APRA.

"weird box stuffer guy"? Dunno what you're talking about.
 Refresh my memory.
 VAF?

**Yes, Phil VAF with the bald head a giant ego.

...  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

**Still building speakers. In fact I listened to his i93-II speakers
awhile back. Very, very good indeed. I haven't spoken with Phil in
awhile, but I think his speaker business represents less than 50% of his
business interests. He is also heavily involved in Solar energy:

http://www.zenhomeenergy.com.au/

Dunno about his ego. Every time I've dealt with Phil, the transaction
has gone smoothly, without a hitch and, unlike many people I've run
across over the years, Phil has always kept to his word (from my
experience anyway) and is very generous with his time and experience.
Giant ego, or not. I like the guy and I hope his business goes well for him.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Flat Screen Demos

"Trevor Wilson"

** Building wooden boxes, you mean.

    And stuffing cheap drivers in them.

** OMG  -  the old solar energy scam.

....  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

**The i series of his speakers utilise very decent quality drivers. They
ain't cheap. The cheaper VAF models may use "cheap drivers". Personally,
I have no knowledge either way. What "cheap drivers" do VAF use?

**Dunno. Who is being scammed by Zen Home Energy and how are they being
scammed?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Flat Screen Demos

"Trevor Wilson"

** Blah, blah blah.

   You have missed the point  -  fool.

** Lets leave it at that.

  Cos you dunno anything.

....  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

You didn't buy the TV, or didn't buy the crap broadcast ?

geoff

Re: Flat Screen Demos

**I bought a better TV. I required a specific size. The Good Guys only
had one that fitted my requirements. Once we saw how bad the picture
was, the guy plugged the antenna into another, larger, set. The FTA
picture was fine. I purchased elsewhere.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Flat Screen Demos

Well he'll need to come to terms with if he wants to evaluate the quality of
the TV he is looking to purchase, or to critique the quality of daytime TV
broadcasts .

Yes, they could hasve a set of two receiving an HD broadcast - they could
even tune it to a 'good' channel.

geoff

Re: Flat Screen Demos

"geoff"

** My naive friend fondly imagines that a 42 inch big screen  SHOULD  make
everything look better than it does on his 26 inch Panasonic.

** I strongly suspect the stores know exactly what they are doing.

Using animated DVDs offends nobody, fascinates the kiddies and looks good in
a brightly lit store.

IOW  -  it sells flat screens best, something they discovered by trial and
error.

If you want a good demo of a flat screen, the only way is to visit someone
who has one at home.

...  Phil

Re: Flat Screen Demos

Just as well they've given up show 4:3 stretched out to 16:9, and not
comprehending that something wasn't quite right.

geoff

Site Timeline